If you were going to move to a rural farm for the summer... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family may be moving on to a farm to intern for the summer season, about 7 months or so..

what are you're 'must haves' in terms of general supplements, (me, dh and ds 2yrs old)
must have 1st aid items

what could you not live without, and not obtain easily if needed???
#2 of 6 Old 01-13-2010, 01:24 AM

Is there no way to internet ship to that location? I couldn't afford what we would need to stock up for seven months!

I also think this must vary a lot from family to family. Our top supplement would be coq10 and that wouldn't be relevant to others.

What do you normally take? I don't know why you do anything differently in terms of supplements?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 6 Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM

We lived on a rural farm. I got almost any supp I needed because organic food and natural remedies was extremely popular with all the rural farm folks and we had an active co op buying club (UNFI). The only thing I had to buy on the internet was my liquid calcium magnesium because I like one certain brand. We are on the road now though and I have to have a full stock of stuff like that in case I can't find it anywhere. I would want to have comfrey, calendula, chammomile, ascorbic acid, various homeopathic remedies, back flower rescue remedy, goldenseal, slippery elm, herbs for kids echinacea golden root liquid, coconut oil, red raspberry leaf tea, raw fermented cod liver oil and a whole food multi vitamins.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#4 of 6 Old 01-14-2010, 12:14 PM

This first thing that comes to mind for me is homeopathic apis melifica. That is a great remedy for many things, but bee and other stings in particular.
Sodium ascorbate is supposed to be really good for stings, too.

And, depending on the area, think about tick control. We live in the woods and have a "tick kit" with specially made tick removers, tweezers, alcohol swabs, and neosporin.
#5 of 6 Old 01-14-2010, 03:11 PM

That's a really good idea. We had horrible mosquitoes so a natural bug repellent product, if you use one, is a good idea. A natural sunscreen product would also be good.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#6 of 6 Old 01-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Full first aid kit, sunscreen, bug repellant
really good books and board games/cards for nights (assuming you have no tv etc)
Hand held games, iPods if you got 'em and your kids like that stuff
art supplies like crazy!
journals

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page