Thyroid Nodules - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an ultrasound last week and they found I have thyroid nodules, 2 of them. I have a scheduled biopsy next week. Anyone have experience with one? I'm so nervous about the biopsy. I know thyroid cancer isn't very common, right? How long will the biopsy take? Is it painful?

Any info would be great!! I'm NOT looking forward to this (the thought of having them stick a needle in my neck is terrifying! oh, and not being able to move or swallow!

UPDATE:
I did the biopsy this morning. Than you everyone for telling me your experience. It really helped calm me It went well and didn't hurt.. I was numbed and it felt no worse then getting my blood drawn.

Now that the biopsy is over, I can't help be worried about thyroid cancer, surgery and radioactive therapy....
My Dr. said I can have surgery (cancerous or not). Has anyone gone through surgery to take out your thyroid? Is radioactive iodine therapy given either way (cancer or no cancer)? I read while doing radioactive iodine therapy I would have to wean and stay away from kids for 7-10 days. My kiddos are 3 yrs. and 3 months. I can't imagine weaning my baby and staying away from them for so long.
#2 of 19 Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 PM

Don't be worried, it may sound odd but the biopsy doesn't hurt a bit and it only takes like 3 minutes. What they'll do is have you lay down w/a rolled up towel behind your neck to elevate the area and then they just use the needle to try and aspirate fluid from it. I had it done when I was 18 and it did end up being cancer but it really wasn't that bad and the recovery and radiation are pretty simple. No hair loss or anything, you don't even get sick from it. Now hopefully you don't have that but as long as its one of the two more common forms of thryoid cancer you'll be fine.
#3 of 19 Old 01-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Hey, JacksMommy07,

I just went through this in November of 09. Here's what happened to me. This is just my story. I'm not appempting to practice medicine. I noticed a nodule on my thyroid when I was pregnant with my second child, over last summer. I ignored it since I knew they almost certainly couldn't do anything while I was pregnant. It got smaller after he was born, but I asked my midwife about it at 8 wks pp.
She said, go to a doctor. So I did. She did bloodwork that came back "normal." She said I needed an ultrasound. I had one. The nodule was partly fluid filled and part solid.
So, I saw a surgeon. She said I needed a FNA biopsy.
So, even though I am needle phobic, I had one. The procedure would not have been bad except I had a doctor I have since filed a complaint against. He treated me like furniture. Didn't check to make sure the drugs worked or anything. A real jerk! Your experience won't be like that!
Well, it's not cancer! Yea! And I started doing research. I have had some hypothyroid symptoms my whole adult life- low body temp, intolerance to cold, lactose intolerance, low grade depression, low energy, adult acne, etc. Add to that fibrocystic breast disease, PCOS, and a thyroid nodule and all this adds up to Type 2 Hypothyroidism with iodine deficiency. So, I started treating myself and the difference has been nothing short of remarkable! I have energy! I feel good! And the thyroid nodule is almost gone! The doctor said it wouldn't go away without surgery to remove it!

The best resources I have found are StopTheThyroidMadness.com and RealThyroidHelp.com and Nutrimedical.com
And Dr. Mark Starr's book, Hypothyroidism- Type 2

My mom had been hypothyroid and on synthroid for about 15 years, but her health kept declining and her doctor (same as my original doctor) cut her synthroid dose in half just before Thanksgiving! I was loosing Mom, I could see it. She was sleeping 15 hours a day and taking caffeine pills to stay awake. She was severely depressed. Puppy scratches on her arms wouldn't heal. She has since taken charge of her health and started taking dessicated thyroid and is getting her life back!! She said she hadn't felt *good* in about 10 years. Not one day. And now, she feels *good* most days!!

I really can't say enough for doing your own research, and taking charge of your own health. I firmly believe that our doctor wasn't trying to do anything but help me and my mother, but she just didn't have the necessary information. Most doctors don't.

And you're right, it's probably (statistically) not cancer. Just relax, get them to give you good sedating drugs, and get your good news about the results and do some research! You'll be fine!
#4 of 19 Old 01-14-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. Do they numb you? Give a shot or cream for numbing? Should I take Tylenol before the biospy?
#5 of 19 Old 01-17-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksMommy07 View Post
Thanks for the replys. Do they numb you? Give a shot or cream for numbing? Should I take Tylenol before the biospy?
With mine they did not use any type of numbing agent on it and there was no pain. Well at least not any more pain than you would have with getting blood drawn.
#6 of 19 Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 AM

The biopsy wasnt painful but I did nearly pass out from the sensation of the needle moving in my neck It was a very unique disquieting feeling.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 19 Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

I did the biopsy this morning. Than you everyone for telling me your experience. It really helped calm me It went well and didn't hurt.. I was numbed and it felt no worse then getting my blood drawn.

Now that the biopsy is over, I can't help be worried about thyroid cancer, surgery and radioactive therapy....
My Dr. said I can have surgery (cancerous or not). Has anyone gone through surgery to take out your thyroid? Is radioactive iodine therapy given either way (cancer or no cancer)? I read while doing radioactive iodine therapy I would have to wean and stay away from kids for 7-10 days. My kiddos are 3 yrs. and the baby is 3 months. I can't imagine weaning my baby and staying away from them for so long.
#8 of 19 Old 01-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksMommy07 View Post

My Dr. said I can have surgery (cancerous or not). Has anyone gone through surgery to take out your thyroid? Is radioactive iodine therapy given either way (cancer or no cancer)? I read while doing radioactive iodine therapy I would have to wean and stay away from kids for 7-10 days. My kiddos are 3 yrs. and the baby is 3 months. I can't imagine weaning my baby and staying away from them for so long.
I had to have mine taken out. I won't lie, it hurt worse than anything I've ever felt when I came out of surgery but by the next day I wasn't feeling too bad and was fully recovered in 3 weeks. I131 is given when you have a complete thyroidectomy to kill off any other thyroid cells to keep them from producing any hormone. I don't see why you would have to wean if you were going to get the I131, you could just pump and dump for about a week and be good. And again staying away from your kids for a week is a little nuts, I was in the hospital for only 2 days when I had radiation done. As long as you don't pee on anyone once you get out you should be all good (the radiation comes out in your urine LOL). Honestly though I wouldn't worry about any of this until he tells you what the results are. Good luck though.
#9 of 19 Old 01-18-2010, 09:28 PM

The radiation comes out in the urine and the saliva. Depending on the amount of radiation given that would determine the length of time you couldnt be around your kids especially the youngest.

I would not be comfy nursing for 6 months after radiation but that is just me. Thankfully all mine happened before I had kids.

The dr. told me to wait at least a year after before even ttc because of the radiation.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 19 Old 01-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Most thyroid nodules are benign and you'd be shocked to know the % of women walking around, unknowingly, with benign nodules. Even when young women do get thyroid cancer, it is rarely very malignant (rarely aggressive).

The surgery, for me, was no big deal. I went home that same day and went for a long walk the following morning. The effects (nausea and headache) of the anesthetic bothered me more than anything else.

It took a couple of weeks for me to not be aware of my neck, but the pain was very minimal and lasted only a day or two. A good surgeon makes a difference, I think. My incision was very small, it was closed very neatly and the surgeon worked quickly.
#11 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I have an appt tomorrow evening to find out the results. I'm trying not to think of the "what if's..." until I find know the results.
#12 of 19 Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Just saw this. I have multiple nodules, 3 of them being over 2cm. They are growing. I've had some of them for more than 8 years. I've had 3 FNA biopsies, all benign. My thyroid overall is growing and the nodules are growing, but all my levels are normal. So, all they do is watch them, once a year I have an ultrasound and if they are still growing they do another biopsy. The funny thing is, I've read up on this and even if you're nodules are benign, if they are growing they still may turn out to be cancer. The biopsy only measures a tiny amount of the nodule. The other thing is though, thyroid cancer is really easy to treat and usually slow growing, so you would have time to slowly wean your child

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#13 of 19 Old 01-22-2010, 02:54 AM

Did you end up getting your results? I hope everything was ok.
#14 of 19 Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking Biopsy came back benign! Thanks for all your support!

I do have to have surgery, the thyroid on my right is sooo big, they're pushing surgery sooner than later.
#15 of 19 Old 01-27-2010, 09:33 PM

Surgery wont keep you from nursing so that is a good thing. And it is a great thing that it came back benign.

#16 of 19 Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 PM

I know thyroid problems are caused from lack of iodine in the diet which you get from salt. Then again one does not want to eat a lot of salt as it can also cause hypertension. Anyways listen to the doctors advice, I hope things go well for you.

Worlds Best Mom
#17 of 19 Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 AM

So glad you are feeling a bit more informed about what's going on, mama! I concur about the rec for StopTheThyroidMadness.com -- Janie is a real disseminator of truths. Also, try reading the thyroid articles at Women to Women -- holistic and well-researched info... Here a link: Eating to support your thyroid — simple ways to naturally preserve thyroid function
#18 of 19 Old 04-30-2013, 03:26 AM

BeagleMommy...

I just found out I have a thyroid nodule I am only 30 yrs old I have a newborn baby and a 7 year girl. I am very worried, I am waiting for the FNA procedure. I pray that it's not cancerous. I am scare of having surgery the size of the nodule it's 1x3 cm on my left side. I just want this to go away. Would you please share the stuff you have been doing to reduce the size of the thyroid nodule please. Reading you post really gave me hope.
#19 of 19 Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nature101, did your biopsy go okay? Do you have results?

Anyone with updates?

I would love to share information and support for those with thyroid nodules. I have recently had a biopsy on a nodule and information was all very convoluted and the endocrinologist was terribly unhelpful. I had two completely different ultrasound reports. In the end, they decided, based on the FNA, that the cells look benign. Even though things were looking suspicious.
I will be having another ultrasound next year to keep track of the nodule(s) (ultrasounds were unclear as to the number and size, etc)

Best of luck to everyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page