Mothering Forum banner

What herbs for resp. congestion and runny nose

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  malamamama 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

My 15 month old had a heavy cold which has gone. But he still has a runny nose constantly and a slight cough. When he coughs he sounds very congested. I am a bit confused about which herbs to use to help dry up the mucuous- are they the ones called expectorants or will that make it worse since they "loosen mucuous"?

What has worked for you? Are there any brand name formulas you have tried? I am also open to homeopathics.

TIA,
Deborah

#3 ·
Well, when mucous is present, you really want to keep it running....
. The mucous is a symptom so instead of treating that, go to the problem...his immune system. I second the sodium ascorbate. This form of C is safe to use over a long period of time, its in powder form so easy to use, and it will kill the virus in his system, and keep his immune system boosted.

#5 ·
I would go with slippery elm (in porridge, water or Thayer's cough drops), licorice root or marshmallow root tea for soothing the throat/respiratory tract. I also use peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils in a cold air humidifier for the duration of the sickness.

Also:

Raspberry leaf and Elencampane (both infused in tea) work well for drying up mucous lining

Ginger will also help in getting rid of excess mucus.

Other good herbs for babes (or adults) with runny nose/cough/cold include:

red clover
colt's foot
mullein
sage

A ginger tea with any of the other above herbs loaded with fresh lemon should help immensely. Echinacea can also be added but my thought is that it's best used during the first few days of a cold.

A little olive oil or herb salve with a drop of eucalyptus, pine or peppermint oil and rubbed under nose can both sooth the irritated area (from nose-blowing) and help clear the airways a bit.

He should not be having any dairy or sugar right now. Both those foods cause congestion.

Hope your son is well soon.

Mary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.