Remedies for RSV in 1 mo. old?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-16-2010, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but thought the experienced birth professionals may have more insight. A friend's friend of mine has a 1 month old little girl with RSV. They have her in the hospital on oxygen, but wondering if there is something herbal or natural to try that would help??

Any input is appreciated, thank you!

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#2 of 6 Old 01-16-2010, 02:15 AM

My daughter also had RSV she was 10 days old when we took her to the hospital because she was retracting fairly severely. Anything that she can do to help her health generally is great. My daughter was in the hospital and the only treatment she received was oxygen, this is simply a supportive treatment and for her it was necessary to help her with oxygen because of her difficulty breathing while allowing her body to fight the virus. Of course skin to skin contact and frequent nursing is always the best way to support infant health! I was pleased that the hospital doctors did not support routine use of antibiotics and other medications for RSV babies, some ped's routinely prescribe albuterol breathing treatments and claritin for RSV when there is no evidence that these treatments fight RSV or protect future respiratory health. Hugs to your friend it is so very hard to have a sick little one!

Ranni
#3 of 6 Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranni View Post
Of course skin to skin contact and frequent nursing is always the best way to support infant health!

Can she nurse the baby on demand in the hospital? I hope the little girl is better soon, poor baby.
#4 of 6 Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post

Can she nurse the baby on demand in the hospital? I hope the little girl is better soon, poor baby.
Definitely. In my (unfortunately frequent) experience in the pediatric unit, moms are responsible for feeding, diapering, and comforting. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
#5 of 6 Old 01-16-2010, 01:36 PM

That's good. My son was a preemie and they had all the babies on a 3 hour feeding schedule. Although he couldn't nurse and was tube fed and was so sleepy he had to be woken up every 3 hours, so it was a totally different situation.
#6 of 6 Old 01-16-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
That's good. My son was a preemie and they had all the babies on a 3 hour feeding schedule. Although he couldn't nurse and was tube fed and was so sleepy he had to be woken up every 3 hours, so it was a totally different situation.
Yeah, I forgot about that. My friend had a preemie and they had her on a really strict feeding schedule. My son's earliest experience in the hospital was at 5 months, and they were very supportive of nursing, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page