REAL folate is much better than folic acid - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 126 Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just finished reading this thread! Thinking about TTC #3 and about to get tested for MTHFR. My son is healthy, no allergies, no behavioral diagnoses (thank God we did not vax!!) He does have a few midline issues... tiny butt dimple and lip tie for instance. My daughter however has a handful of very serious midline issues (heart, spine, etc.). She also has a genetic disorder. 

ANYWAY my question is - do you knowledgeable MTHFR people recommend a prenatal vitamin or do you think it's better just to take liver? I follow a WAPF style diet (I do now - did not before. WAP/GAPS has given my daughter quality of life she wouldn't have otherwise had). If you think a vitamin is a good idea, is there one specifically that you think is the best?

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 126 Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 PM

Thank you, Pat, for posting. I do not trust any artificial supplements. Of course, they will be adequate for most people. But why take a chance when natural folate is readily available in food. I follow Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live/Eat for Health/Nutritarian dietstyle. I am not strict, presently. But whenever I am, I feel like 20 not 56.

I also am a midwife. I have all my clients read his books. Since having everyone read his books, I have had no cases of pre-ecclampsia, the most concerning of pregnancy complications. When ever a symptom arises that might risk the client out, I have them re-examine the books and we always get the symptom under control if they are willing to change their diet.

~Chris Duffy, midwife

#123 of 126 Old 07-31-2012, 01:43 PM

Hi, LizzyLou!

I recommend a general concentrated food supplement called GreenLife. It is a raw whole food supplement made of organically grown barley, rye and oats by V E Irons. I include it and their Vitamin C, made from Acerola Cherries and Spanish Orange, in my midwifery care.

Feel free to call if you want more info, Or visit the greenlife page on my site: http://myhealthfreedom.com/index.php?id=221

Regards,

Chris Duffy, midwife

#124 of 126 Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I am a whole foods gal. Where to start? Help 101

Pat

I have a blog.
#125 of 126 Old 02-11-2014, 12:47 PM

I just wanted to throw out there that MTHFR is a REAL concern and the form of folate is extremely important... how would I know that?

After 4 miscarriages in a row following 3 healthy deliveries - I was sent for testing to determine why.  This included a wide variety of tests from physical formation, to hormonal panels, to a thrombophilia panel for clotting issues.  The only thing that came back as abnormal in all of this was that I was diagnosed with a compound heterozygous MTHFR polymorphism.  I blinked.  What on earth was this?  My doctor explained it can cause some clotting and miscarriages and wanted me to take Folgard (prescription high doses of folic acid).  Stunned, and confused... I didn't know what questions to ask and I did as I was told - and went on to miscarry yet again.

Then I began to do my own research.  I discovered that a lot of this information is new and developing.. and that while the mainstream treatment is high high doses of folic acid and it amazingly works for some people - it doesn't work at all for others.  It would appear I was in the non working category.  This genetic mutation of mine had lain dormant for a while, but once triggered - it had wreaked havoc on my life.  All one has to do is read about bio chemistry and what role folate place in the body's metabolic processes to know how important a nutrient this is.  I had been battling with extreme fatigue that no one could figure out the cause of for years.  I had neurological issues that even a neurologist and an MRI couldn't figure out.  I had depression that was untouchable and untreatable by typical medication.  I had memory loss.. for a woman in her mid 30's I should not have been missing chunks of my life as in whole people were erased, and whole years of my life were gone... unrecallable.  And there were no answers - UNTIL I learned about MTHFR.  All of this and so much more can be related to MTHFR.

That's when I discovered that folic acid in the body can lead to higher levels of homocysteine that cannot be fully absorbed because the process of conversion doesn't fully work in someone like me.. and you can develop blood clots... AH HA.. this is why it's on the clotting panel!  I knew I had lost two pregnancies to clots, and the others were likely neural tube issues from lack of folate... yes you heard me.. LACK OF FOLATE despite being on HIGH doses of folic acid.  If your body cannot convert it efficiently - you cannot get the benefit, and it's worse than if you had none at all.  Because this polymorphism is genetic and inherited in a large number of people, but not always triggered - it's hard to say exactly how many carry versus deal with the actual repercussions of a triggered MTHFR - but you cannot hurt your body by eating more natural folate... and you CAN potentially hurt your body (and the baby) by taking folic acid... potentially.

I began taking Methylfolate - the converted form of the nutrient, therefore effectively skipping the broken conversion process - and guess what?  My fatigue went away!  My depression went away!  I felt GREAT!  My memory improved.  I never got those memories back... but I was no longer losing them or feeling so scatter brained.  And then miracle of all miracles - I conceived.  Only this time, my 10th pregnancy... 4th child... I didn't miscarry.  In fact I have a perfectly healthy child only weeks from birth right now.  I've religiously taken methylfolate every single day of this pregnancy.  After 5 consecutive miscarriages via clots from homocysteine due to MTHFR and lack of folate causing NTD's that a child could not survive through - here I am with my health drastically improved, and a healthy baby about to be born.

That's a pretty good evident reason for me to believe the research on this.  It may be new.. but don't be fooled - it's real.  The Methylation cycle is a very well known part of our body's functions, and it HAS to function in order for us to have a decent life.  I've been given a whole new lease on life, and all it took was a paradigm shift to eating more whole foods with folate, and supplementing with Methylfolate and NOT folic acid.  I don't take a prenatal vitamin.. for the first time ever... and I feel better than I've ever felt!

#126 of 126 Old 03-06-2014, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

how much folate should you take during pregnancy or while TTC? do you need more with the MTHFR gene mutation? I don't know if I have it, but I want to cover my bases. I use Thorne prenatal vitamins, which have the correct form of folate, but only 266 micrograms/pill. I have been taking 2/day even though 3 is the recommended amount. I thought that 400 - 500 micrograms was the recommended dose. I also eat a fairly decent diet of mostly whole foods. Despite these factors, I miscarried my last pregnancy. It was my 3rd miscarriage, but I had made changes to my diet and supplements after the 2nd miscarriage. Now I am wondering if I am not taking enough folate.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page