how long does the average cold/cough last for 20 month olds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
our doctor told us 5-7 days. its been 8 for my 20 month old ds.

his nose hasnt stopped running on and off and his cough is sounding a bit wet. other than that he seems fine. eating, drinking, sleeping playing etc. no fever the entire time.

aside from the nose and cough, i dont see a reason to be worried,but should i? could pneumonia be a possibility even without a fever?

what else to be concerned about? how long would you mommas let this run? any help or advice of past experiences are greatly appreciated!
#2 of 7 Old 01-19-2010, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our pediatrician told us that while they average cold will last about a week sometimes they can go as long as two weeks and this is more common in kids. What you're watching for in my experience in terms of something else going on are better, then worse symptom wise or fever resolves/was never there and then spikes high--that sort of thing--in addition to something obvious like breathing difficulty or whatever. A 10 day cold isn't something that would worry me in itself.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 7 Old 01-19-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Our pediatrician told us that while they average cold will last about a week sometimes they can go as long as two weeks and this is more common in kids. What you're watching for in my experience in terms of something else going on are better, then worse symptom wise or fever resolves/was never there and then spikes high--that sort of thing--in addition to something obvious like breathing difficulty or whatever. A 10 day cold isn't something that would worry me in itself.
i totally agree. sometimes the runny noses hang on for awhile around here long after everything else is back to normal.

i'd be wary of the wet cough though, is he hacking up stuff? having difficulties breathing at all? is it getting better or worse?

eh. who needs a signature?
#4 of 7 Old 01-19-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

not hacking up or breathing difficulties, but how do kids actually get rid of the mucus? because they dont actually cough it up, if they do, they just swallow it again?? ah being a mother is very worrisome at times
#5 of 7 Old 01-19-2010, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 20 month old is sick with exact same sxs as you describe right now....
today is day 8 as well. I'm seeing improvement and that is what is importanmt IMO.

If your LO worsens or additional sxs arise, then perhaps be concerned. This little tidbit from Dr. Sears put my mind at ease as well. he basically says if your child has had a cold WITH NO IMPROVEMENT for 10 days, or if sxs worsen, then it may need evaluation by a doctor.

and about cough up the gunk, they do cough it up and swallow it, which is harmless.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/11/T081000.asp

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 7 Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM

i just meant if the cough was productive. like, can you hear things moving around in there when he coughs? or is he just coughing and coughing and coughing without getting anywhere?

i wouldn't be worried in your situation but if it went on a lot longer and the cough seemed to be getting worse or if he then spiked a fever i'd be concerned.

eh. who needs a signature?
#7 of 7 Old 01-24-2010, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies! update: 10 days later hes finally over it! i guess it does just take longer sometimes. the runny nose nad coughing pretty much lasted the whole duration an the last two days gradually lessened and one day voila! all gone. i just hate it when he's sick thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page