how long do you untreat fever/cold? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my DD is 3.5 , had a 101-102 fever late Fri night & it broke Sunday early AM, no sickness symptoms then ......late Sun. afternoon she start w/ snotty/congested nose & coughing of course after she wouldnt blow anything out she could have possibly had a low grade fever over the past few days but I'm a thermometer slacker & just felt her & she didnt seem very warm.
So, now going on day 3 w/ snot / coughing, congested & definitely a low grade fever (99 under arm/digital)

we dont see a doc. often so I hate to go in for nothing but a cold that needs to run its course ... this is probably the first time she has been sick w/ fever in a yr

advice to comfort my pregnancy worry nerves??

~Tia~ Mom to 3 girls
#2 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 PM

As long as it's not getting really high, I will comfortably let it go on for a good long while....like a week or so, so long as the child was relatively happy, not dehydrated, etc. I think that the overall picture is much more important than the fever itself.

Just remember, that fever is good for her...it's working a job in there. **hugs**

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#3 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

I know the fever is good ... just need reassurance sometimes when no many others are on my side!

she is drinking & eating well

thanks

~Tia~ Mom to 3 girls
#4 of 10 Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you doing anything in terms of nutritional support? That's been my best bet with the kids, I really think it helps prevent things from turning serious, not like it sounds like you're on the verge of that, but as a preventative/making it easier approach.

I think the most helpful to us has been lots and lots of vitamin C, lots, and zinc. I haven't used high dose vitD for the kids for illnesses, I know people do it for adults but I don't know about kids, but I think regular dosing has helped in a long-term sense.

In terms of how long--I'd just want a feel that the kids are making progress getting better, and if not, I'd change up the support I was doing, and again, look for progress. We've sometimes had back-to-back-to-back illnesses, but it was clear that it was different illnesses cycling through.
#5 of 10 Old 01-22-2010, 05:18 AM

As long as I felt it didn't move into their lungs and their breathing wasn't rapid, they were eating and urinating I don't bring my kids in. These things can last a while. Of course, that being said, if you have a bad feeling bring them in.
#6 of 10 Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 PM

I would do nutritional and supplement support (increase vit c, probiotics, OLE, garlic etc. I would def NOT medicate the fever or bring him to see the doc.

Also just a note just because "stuff" goes into the lungs does not mean they need to be seen by a doctor who most likely will RX antibiotics. Most "gunk" in the lungs is cause by viral infections. If they are having trouble breathing and or wheezing (whistling sound when they breathe) that is a different story..or if sxs do not improve after about 10 days or they worsen after 7.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 10 Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM

It depends on how they feel. I have no problem with a fever/cold going on for awhile, but they typically start perking up after a day or two.

Definitely push fluids so she doesn't get dehydrated and bone broth/stock is good if you can get that in her. And vitamin C.
#8 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 02:13 PM

I'm really glad I found this thread! Both my kids (and now me) are having similiar symptoms, and I knew that fever has an important job, but you get that pressure from other people sometimes and that tiny, worried voice in your head gets louder. This has made me feel better joy.gif

aknit.gif trekkie.gif mama to DS reading.gif and DD energy.gif autismribbon.gif  

#9 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 06:31 PM

Nice to see people calming the fear of fevers. There are some pretty solid guidelines for when a fever is serious- babies under 3months, when the child is lethargic and listless, over 104. Keep your eyes on the child, not the numbers, and follow your gut, as another poster said. Fevers are an appropriate and important immune response. It's hard to see them in that state, because they are sick but every time a child overcomes a cold or flu or other illness with natural support, on their own steam, it builds their immune system and makes them stronger and more resilient. 

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#10 of 10 Old 04-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmainer View Post

Nice to see people calming the fear of fevers. There are some pretty solid guidelines for when a fever is serious- babies under 3months, when the child is lethargic and listless, over 104. Keep your eyes on the child, not the numbers, and follow your gut, as another poster said. Fevers are an appropriate and important immune response. It's hard to see them in that state, because they are sick but every time a child overcomes a cold or flu or other illness with natural support, on their own steam, it builds their immune system and makes them stronger and more resilient. 

While I agree with most of this, I will say that fevers above 104 do not necessarily mean there is a serious problem. My son has gotten several fevers above 104 when he has been sick with viruses. Also he tends to be kind of lethargic (ie just lays around on the couch and doesn't want to do anything) when he has a high fever. This is not in and of itself a problem either. I agree its important to keep your eyes on them and listen to your gut :)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page