Can anyone help me figure out these lab results? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like I am not getting a clear answer from my Doctor. I am supposed to go back in on the 3rd for a follow up but in the meantime I would like some more clarity. (I am going to call him again on Monday too).

I initially thought, and was told by the NP that I was getting over mono. When they ran the epstein-barr test, my 'EBV Ab VCA, IgG' titers were elevated to 4.7 (refrence range is 0.0-0.8). Based on this info i was told that I was getting over Mono.

The NP advised me to come back in to see the internist (sp?) this Wednesday and he indicated that my labs were abnormal because since I wasn't testing positive for the other 3 ranges that it didn't indicate that I was getting over an infection or currently had one. With my symptoms: joint pain, lymphnode swelling, fatigue, he wanted to run some additional tests and advised that sometimes the titers that were elevated in me could indicate other conditions which he listed as 1. cytomeglovirus (same family as mono and he sees occur after pregnancy at times), 2. autoimmune such as lupus, and 3. certain cancers and specifically carcinoid tumors which he did want to look into concerning my faceflushing and quickening weight loss.

He ran additional tests including the Cytomeglovirus (CMV), sed rate, and liver functioning. And depending on their outcomes he was going to get a chest x-ray.

The results were just faxed to me and it looks like the CMV Ab IgG titers are elevated at a 16.2 (refrence range 0.0-0.8). The phlabotomist talked to me about the results and as I had guessed she agreed that the final dx was CMV. However she called the doctor and then called me back to say that that it looks like i had a recent Mono infection NOT CMV. Unless the lady I was talking to was just having a brain fart sorta day, I don't know what to think. I do know that there are several different titer levels (IgG, IgM, nuclear antigen IgG, early antigen IgG) and depending on the results of each of those - collectively you make a diagnosis. Well I am showing off the charts for my regular IgG antigens for both Mono and CMV but apparently the presence of just those elevated titers do not point to anything specific. They know something is not normal, but without the other levels showing something it is inconclusive.

I am just confused and am hoping that someone on MDC world has better insite than me. If not, does anyone know a good medical forum I could post this in?

TIA

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :

User Tag List