Shea butter instead of sun screen? Need advice ASAP! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
amcal, how can one expose their skin to the sun *without* tanning it? I live in Canada, and I work outside in summer with a Tshirt on and always get a 'farmers' tan. My arms are still brown from last summer. I don't 'tan' in the sense that I lay for hours in the sun, but my skin does tan. I'm not understanding how some sun exposure can be fine, but ANY tan isn't. The two seem to contradict each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post
amcal, how can one expose their skin to the sun *without* tanning it? I live in Canada, and I work outside in summer with a Tshirt on and always get a 'farmers' tan. My arms are still brown from last summer. I don't 'tan' in the sense that I lay for hours in the sun, but my skin does tan. I'm not understanding how some sun exposure can be fine, but ANY tan isn't. The two seem to contradict each other.
#33 of 45 Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's very easy to expose skin to sun without ever tanning or burning. I don't see the contradiction at all. I guess I don't even understand the question. You expose your skin enough to not tan or burn. That's it.

You're working outside in the sun - I'm guessing longer than 10 minutes or so at a time? Well then, you'll tan/burn.

You really only need about 10 minutes or so and it doesn't have to be all at once. Where I live, I get enough sun just by passive activity - getting in and out of the car, walking from the parking lot into the store etc....
#34 of 45 Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
It's very easy to expose skin to sun without ever tanning or burning. I don't see the contradiction at all. I guess I don't even understand the question. You expose your skin enough to not tan or burn. That's it.

You're working outside in the sun - I'm guessing longer than 10 minutes or so at a time? Well then, you'll tan/burn.

You really only need about 10 minutes or so and it doesn't have to be all at once. Where I live, I get enough sun just by passive activity - getting in and out of the car, walking from the parking lot into the store etc....
Have you had your vitamin D tested? I know my mom was low before the summer began last summer, so she cut back on sunscreen and was *lower* at the end of the summer... Just curious if you've had a different experience...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#35 of 45 Old 01-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post

We also have damaged the ozone layer since then.
Yup.

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#36 of 45 Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
I'm sorry but it seem common sense to me that applying CHEMICALS in any form straight into your or your LO's skin is not healthy. any chemicals applied directly to the skin is absorbed within 60 seconds. How can chemicals not be contributing to skin cancer and others cancers??? Common chemicals for sunscreens are also known as hormone disruptors,I do agree with T dioxide or zinc oxide(if it's not in the form of nano particles they are said to be harmful) is best If you need the protection(at the beach you need some form of sun protection for sure). A sunburn is damaging to your skin working up your sun exposure daily and developing a tan is healthy!

Here is a great article on sunscreens and why some are not safe.
http://www.healthychild.com/first-ai...nscreens-safe/
1. Actually, a tan is a sign of damage to the skin. It's not "healthy".

2. The website you reference SELLS the sunscreen they recommend. I don't consider sites that exist to sell products to be unbiased sources of information.

That said, it only takes 10 or 15 minutes of exposure per day to stimulate Vit. D production, and most people who hang out outside for 10 or 15 minutes at 9 AM or 3 PM will not get tan as a result.

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#37 of 45 Old 01-28-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Have you had your vitamin D tested? I know my mom was low before the summer began last summer, so she cut back on sunscreen and was *lower* at the end of the summer... Just curious if you've had a different experience...
I had my levels tested right after my cancer diagnosis and my Vit D level was 48. I believe 50 - 75 is ideal (I could be wrong about those numbers). My primary care Dr, Oncologist and Derm all felt my vit D numbers were fine but, I'd like them a little higher so I supplement with 2,000 iu Vit D3 daily.
#38 of 45 Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I had my levels tested right after my cancer diagnosis and my Vit D level was 48. I believe 50 - 75 is ideal (I could be wrong about those numbers). My primary care Dr, Oncologist and Derm all felt my vit D numbers were fine but, I'd like them a little higher so I supplement with 2,000 iu Vit D3 daily.
Interesting - wonder if your being in arizona makes the difference. She stopped using sunscreen all summer and was out mostly after 3 or before 10 and her levels went down, not up... but then, she's in upstate NY... so we get different levels of sun, maybe? She had been supplementing before the summer but quit thinking the sun would do a better job... apparently not.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#39 of 45 Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 PM

Actually, I just came across an interesting article:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589256_7

This may make me rethink supplementing. It seems like 48 is actually quite ideal - a little bit above where I need to be....

Jenna - I do think being in AZ has something to do with it. I get a lot of passive sun - unwanted passive sun. I keep pretty covered up but, it doesn't take much skin exposure or much time in the sun to get significant exposure.

I cover my arms, head and legs but wear sandals so that little area on the tops of my feet get lots of passive sun exposure just walking in and out of places.
#40 of 45 Old 01-28-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:

10 minutes isn't really enough actually. Getting adequate Vitamin D depends on many things. If your dark skinned you need a lot more time in the sun,time of year,time of day your in the sun, amount of clothing, and diet.
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/cancerMain.shtml
http://www.toyourhealth.com/mpacms/t...5&pagenumber=1
I too live in AZ and my Vit D was a 36 they recommend at least a 50. It also depends on what lab you use. labcorp is more accurate the quest. PP was saying in order to get ADEQUATE vitamin D exposure most people will get a tan. By you saying a tan is bad your saying vitamin D is bad. That's what I'm understanding.

3 is magic-Everyone has to make a living. Just because they sell a sunblock doesn't mean the info isn't reputable.

This is another interesting thread on tans. Some believe a tan is healthy and some don't. There's so much out there that says sun exposure outweighs the risks
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=tanning
#41 of 45 Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 PM

I'm not saying vitamin D is bad. In fact, if you've read my posts, you'll see the opposite.

I've said getting a tan is bad. It's skin damage. You've said it's healthy. I've asked for research to back up this claim and have yet to see it.

A mothering.com thread is not research - it's people's opinions. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think it's important to make decisions based on research. I've yet to see any research that says tanned skin is healthy skin. Or any research that says you must tan in order to get adequate vitamin D.

Of course there are many variables in regards to how much sun is enough. However, all the reserach I've done says that 10- 15 minutes of mid day sun exposure a couple times a week for a light skinned person is adequate. Now, if you are dark skinned or if it's winter and you live in the north then obviously your needs would be different.

I don't think there is one prescription for everyone. I would encourage everyone to get their vit d levels checked and supplement/expose accordingly. However, I highly doubt you will find anyone that says damaging your skin - and a tan is damaged skin - is remotely healthy when trying to encourage vitamin D production.
#42 of 45 Old 01-29-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
How Much Sunshine Do I Need?
To make vitamin D the natural way, through your skin, you need sun exposure on naked skin, without sun block, at or near mid day:

• For most people, 10 or 15 minutes in noontime summer sun is enough, and leads to the production of 10,000 IU (International Units) of Vitamin D, according to Dr. John Cannell, head of the Vitamin D Council, a non-profit U.S. organization. Dr. Cannell is concerned that people aren't getting enough of the vitamin, especially when they are advised to avoid the mid day sun.

UV-B rays from the sun on the skin convert cholesterol into the "sunshine vitamin," which, researchers are finding to be a potent anticancer agent.

It is ironic that skin cancer may actually be prevented by what many feel causes it -- sunshine.

In his book, “Naked at Noon,” Krispin Sullivan says that: "One of the known protectors of skin cells from pre-cancerous changes is vitamin D. For most Americans the primary source of this vitamin is sunlight. UV-B, the only band of light producing D, is significantly present only midday during summer months in most of the U.S., the exact time we are advised to avoid sunlight. UV-B is blocked by sunscreen."

HOW BEST TO GET UV-B? The Vitamin D Council suggests wearing a hat to protect your face against sun damage, while exposing other parts of your body to modest amounts of noontime sunlight, stopping before there's even the slightest trace of redness.
http://www.healthdiscoveries.net/vitamin-D.html
#43 of 45 Old 01-29-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Interesting - wonder if your being in arizona makes the difference. She stopped using sunscreen all summer and was out mostly after 3 or before 10 and her levels went down, not up... but then, she's in upstate NY... so we get different levels of sun, maybe? She had been supplementing before the summer but quit thinking the sun would do a better job... apparently not.
Time of day is HUGE for how much vitamin D you make. You make a lot more, a lot faster, in the middle of the day. Plus, that's pretty far north.

Cool calculator for that stuff, includes latitude/longitude, date, skin type, % skin uncovered, which is also a significant factor...

http://nadir.nilu.no/~olaeng/fastrt/VitD_quartMED.html
#44 of 45 Old 01-29-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Time of day is HUGE for how much vitamin D you make. You make a lot more, a lot faster, in the middle of the day. Plus, that's pretty far north.

Cool calculator for that stuff, includes latitude/longitude, date, skin type, % skin uncovered, which is also a significant factor...

http://nadir.nilu.no/~olaeng/fastrt/VitD_quartMED.html
I was coming to post that, with this addition:
About it:
http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog...vitamin-d.html

The actual calculator:
http://nadir.nilu.no/~olaeng/fastrt/..._quartMED.html

Find your latitude/Longitude:
http://www.bcca.org/misc/qiblih/latlong_us.html

World clock for converting to GMT:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#45 of 45 Old 01-29-2010, 12:35 AM

This is a really interesting abstract, I haven't seen the full article...

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v1.../5611153a.html

They more than doubled the amount of sun it takes to start burning (minimal erythema dose--I had to look the exact definition up, it's the amount of sun it takes to produce redness 24 hrs later) by supplementing fish oil, they think/assume the omega-3s are the important part.

I don't think anyone knows, but I have to wonder if we are more prone to burning and cancer as our--collective our, as a society--diet has increasingly become imbalanced between omega-3 and omega-6. I hope someone looks at that a bit closer, and soon, ideally figuring out how to measure total body composition, not just current intake, since it takes quite a while to make a big shift in fat composition your body, at least to my understanding.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page