Talk to me about B12 / pernicious anemia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The title says it all. Is it possible to get too much B12? Anything I should avoid eating? Any other supplements I should be taking?

I truly appreciate your help. TIA!

Perpetually exhausted single mother by choice to one little girl (2/06)
#2 of 9 Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 PM

What B12 supplements are you taking?

This can certainly cause exhaustion.

Are you v*gan?

I like novellas, post away.
#3 of 9 Old 01-31-2010, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it's possible to mask a folate deficiency with lots of supplemental B12, and vice versa (folate to mask B12 deficiency), but generally it's well tolerated, that's just something to keep in the back of your mind, and a good multivit with real folate should avoid that problem.

What kind of supp are you using? Sublingual hydroxycobalamin or methylcobalamin seem best, cyanocobalamin not really, and sublingual seems to work better than something you swallow.
#4 of 9 Old 01-31-2010, 03:36 PM

Right now I'm dealing with a a B12 deficiency and have had a really difficult time with any supplements.

The best one I have found is actually floradix iron which you then get all the other stuff as well B vitamins and iron. I'm nursing so I don't mind but not sure if most people would want the additional iron.
#5 of 9 Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I am taking oral cyano(whatever it is) B12. I'll try to find some different kinds of B12/sublingual B12.

I am not a veg*n, but my digestive system had been damaged due to Crohn's disease, which I suspect has caused the pernicious anemia. Since taking a "thyroid support" supplement I found at Whole Foods, I feel like a new woman!! Totally more energy, more to give, you know? I had been fighting severe exhaustion for nearly 4 years prior to this accidental revelation. The only difference is the B12. It was never on my radar before now, and was just wondering what other things I should be eating/avoiding, any other considerations. Thanks again, all!

#6 of 9 Old 02-01-2010, 12:12 AM

I think it's pretty common for ppl with thyroid issues to have low b12 levels - at least I keep coming across this. I have Hashi's and tested really low in b12. I had severe low b12 symptoms even after fixing thyroid levels. I had to take b12 injections initially to get the level up and then - as pp's have said, sublingual supps are best.
#7 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfussypants View Post
Thanks for the replies! I am taking oral cyano(whatever it is) B12. I'll try to find some different kinds of B12/sublingual B12.

I am not a veg*n, but my digestive system had been damaged due to Crohn's disease, which I suspect has caused the pernicious anemia. Since taking a "thyroid support" supplement I found at Whole Foods, I feel like a new woman!! Totally more energy, more to give, you know? I had been fighting severe exhaustion for nearly 4 years prior to this accidental revelation. The only difference is the B12. It was never on my radar before now, and was just wondering what other things I should be eating/avoiding, any other considerations. Thanks again, all!
Yes, you need the intrinsic factor from your stomach to metabolize oral B12... so that is why sublingual is the best, it goes right into bloodstream and bypasses the gut. Oral supplements won't be at all helpful if gut damage is the problem.

I like Jarrow Methyl B12, they are very effective, they can take a long time to dissolve. Just be patient and keep under the tongue, you don't want to swallow it but let it melt:
http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas...medium=f2&at=0

Which thyroid supplement if I may ask? sounds interesting! Have you had your TSH, T3 and T4 tested?
#8 of 9 Old 02-05-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies! I am taking a supplement called "Thyroid Complete" that I found at Whole Foods. I haven't had my blood thyroid hormone levels checked in a few years (no medical insurance). Managing to survive on half my prescribed thyroid hormone (synthroid), and I have about six months left on half-dose! I'm not too worried about running out, because I believe I'm on a very low dose anyway. Just hoping for the best!

Thank you for the link to the B12 supplement. I'll look into this!

#9 of 9 Old 02-07-2010, 02:37 AM

Your basal body temperature is a good indication of thyroid function, with some saying better than blood tests.

http://www.drbate.com/Ref/thyroid.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page