Dry patch or Ringworm or something else? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed a red circle on my foot maybe a week or two ago, but didn't think anything of it. Yesterday I noticed that it was raised and wondered if it could be ringworm. It doesn't itch too much, or at all mostly. It is raised, but not scaly.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=photo1-1.jpg

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...nt=photo-1.jpg

What do you think it could be?
#2 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 PM

That coud be ringworm. Ringworm usually looks (to me) a little more scaly and less red, but the mottling inside and the shape looks a lot like ringworm. Do you go barefoot much outside or do you have pets?
#3 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 11:36 PM

IDK what it is but my ringworm was much more scaly and really itchy. Mine also had darker outer ring and mostly just the ring was raised.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#4 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 11:39 PM

what happens if you treat it like ring worm and it ends up not being? You just use OTC athlete's foot cream.. I'd try it and if it doesn't start to clear up in afew days then see a doc ?

~Jaclyn~ Mama to Lucas Wyatt born 5-3-06
#5 of 7 Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM

I'd treat it like ringworm. There's actually more than one kind and they can give off different appearances. When I found a new kitten some years ago, she scratched everyone in the house including the dog and we all broke out. However it didn't "look" like traditional ringworm and it didn't show up under black light at the vet's. A co-worker saw it and had had the same thing, and it took an old farm dr next door to identify it as what he called "multiplying ringworm". I don't think that's an official name btw, but regardless once we started a topical anti-fungal it cleared up in a few days.
#6 of 7 Old 01-31-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
That coud be ringworm. Ringworm usually looks (to me) a little more scaly and less red, but the mottling inside and the shape looks a lot like ringworm. Do you go barefoot much outside or do you have pets?
I never go barefoot! And, I don't have any pets here, although my parents do. If it is ringworm, I'm pretty sure I know where I got it. The pedicure place.

I started treating it as if it was ringworm. Vinegar soak. Dab it with diluted bleach. Clotrimazole antifungal cream. It's already looking less red and the ring is less pronounced. So, I'm guessing that's what I have...yuk.

Oh, and it didn't glow under a blacklight. It's still not scaly or dry either.
#7 of 7 Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to update this since I've determined that it is most definitely ringworm. It's almost completely gone after a few days of OTC antifungal cream.

So, it looks like ringworm does have many different appearances...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page