Helping newborn devlop proper gut flora after c-section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So another thread got me thinking....I know that passage through the birth canal helps a newborn establish good gut flora. Additionally, I know that mom receiving antibiotics at/following delivery mess with Mom's/baby's gut flora. More points in the column for drug-free vaginal births, no doubr BUT what if you have to have a c-section (as I do) for safety reasons for mom/baby. What things can be done before/at/following the time of birth to help baby compensate for the lost trip through the birth canal compounded by antibiotic exposure and still develop the best gut health possible?

I wanna hear everything no matter how obvious, basic, or seemingly bizarre. I have 6.5 weeks to prepare....

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 AM

I'd be doing heavy probiotics myself (if I could rewind time). Breastfeeding will of course help. I believe I would do a high quality allergy free infant probiotic directly though if I could do our birth/post-birth over.

I would make sure my vitamin D level was normal and would be supplementing heavily to make sure I was giving the baby enough D through breastmilk if I was normal. I wasn't. So I would have been supplementing my kids directly if I had a do over.

Only one of my C section, antibiotics during pregnancy, and low vitamin D kids (same pregnancy and birth but fraternal twins) has allergies/asthma. It's not a given I'm saying. But I'd do things differently if I could.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
I'd be doing heavy probiotics myself (if I could rewind time). Breastfeeding will of course help. I believe I would do a high quality allergy free infant probiotic directly though if I could do our birth/post-birth over.

I will be BFing. With DD#2 (emergency c-s because transverse breech) I started nursing in recovery, although she clearly would have liked to have been able to nurse earlier-we have video of DH shirtless doing skin-to-skin with DD while I was being sewn up and she kept wiggling over to his nipples trying to eat. I'm not sure if I can/should request that they just wrap the baby in a blanket/hat for warmth (no wiping, weighing, etc.) and let DH hold the baby up so we can start nursing immediately in surgery while I'm being sewn-not sure if that would be possible or make a sig. difference for baby's health.

Is there a safe-for-baby probiotic that you could recommend?

I would make sure my vitamin D level was normal and would be supplementing heavily to make sure I was giving the baby enough D through breastmilk if I was normal. I wasn't. So I would have been supplementing my kids directly if I had a do over.

I've been supplementing with 2000 IU D3/day since ttc. I just had my vit D level checked last week. It's barely normal at a 30. I've bumped up to 6000 IU/day and hope that will boost things a bit by the time I deliver. Maybe I should aim for 10000 IU/day. I'd prefer that baby get needed vit D via me rather than supplement directly since I'm still unclear about vit D needs in newborns (BM is naturally low in it as I recall) but maybe I'm off in my thinking.

Only one of my C section, antibiotics during pregnancy, and low vitamin D kids (same pregnancy and birth but fraternal twins) has allergies/asthma. It's not a given I'm saying. But I'd do things differently if I could.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#4 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM

I am curious about this- no csec here but my 10 week old just had antibiotics and a hospital stay for double pneumonia- we tried to fight it at home and she lasted a week before sh got sick, but anyway- now I want her on the path to recovery. I am on a good dose of D3-10kiu and taking probiotics, but didn't know if it was more that needed to be done.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
JaneS has a brand of infant probiotic that she recommends...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1118978

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page