easy ways to give 4.5 y.o. magnesium? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been doing epsom salt baths for DS1, but it is hard to get it consistent (everyday, long enough, etc.) and I'm worried about the salt for DS2 (who often bathes with DS1) because he (DS2) has skin issues (psoriasis and/or eczema).

Anyway, I was looking at getting the Kirkman sweet powder, but a friend mentioned that Hylands makes a homeopathic tablet. It looks like it is called "magnesia sulfate." Is that the same as magnesium? Here's a link if that helps any: http://www.healthsuperstore.com/p-hy...60-pellets.htm

TIA!

--amy
DS1 is 5, DD is 3, DS2 is 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Don't know about the homeopathic but the Kirkman mag glycinate powder ROCKS.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#3 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We use a powder, it can be hidden in a small amount of juice, say 1 tablespoon, or it can be hidden between two layers of applesauce. I use Now brand magnesium citrate, a loose powder, but I think mag glycinate is better.

Some folks use Natural Calm, it's a flavored powder that's supposed to taste pretty good.

A homeopathic preparation wouldn't be the same as actual magnesium. I don't know when it would be useful, but I wouldn't just use it as a substitute.
#4 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
We use a powder, it can be hidden in a small amount of juice, say 1 tablespoon, or it can be hidden between two layers of applesauce. I use Now brand magnesium citrate, a loose powder, but I think mag glycinate is better.

Some folks use Natural Calm, it's a flavored powder that's supposed to taste pretty good.

A homeopathic preparation wouldn't be the same as actual magnesium. I don't know when it would be useful, but I wouldn't just use it as a substitute.
Tanya,

I also have the NOW brand. On my bottle it says that you *must* dissolve in 8oz of water (the full dose). Do you think that's not necessary? I was going to put some in capsules for dd but didn't want to after I read that.

Mag Glycinate powder sounds good though.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#5 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Tanya,

I also have the NOW brand. On my bottle it says that you *must* dissolve in 8oz of water (the full dose). Do you think that's not necessary? I was going to put some in capsules for dd but didn't want to after I read that.

Mag Glycinate powder sounds good though.
Well, apparently I never read the instructions. I've been dissolving 1/2 tsp in about 2 tablespoons of orange juice along with some other powder. Hmm... DD is still falling asleep at night, she has trouble falling asleep without magnesium (tested that that was still the case several months ago) so while maybe I'm losing some effectiveness, _some_ is being absorbed. Darn. I have a bunch of bottles of this because we go through quite a bit of magnesium around here and the kids respond to mag citrate fine, so I bought this instead of the glycinate that I get for DH. Darn. But I think I'm going to finish these bottles.
#6 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, mamas.

now, does anyone have a link or a source for the best price for the kirkman magnesium glycinate powder?

--amy
#7 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Well, apparently I never read the instructions. I've been dissolving 1/2 tsp in about 2 tablespoons of orange juice along with some other powder. Hmm... DD is still falling asleep at night, she has trouble falling asleep without magnesium (tested that that was still the case several months ago) so while maybe I'm losing some effectiveness, _some_ is being absorbed. Darn. I have a bunch of bottles of this because we go through quite a bit of magnesium around here and the kids respond to mag citrate fine, so I bought this instead of the glycinate that I get for DH. Darn. But I think I'm going to finish these bottles.
Sorry. I hate to be the bearer of bad news. I had the same reaction about *having* to dissolve. Luckily, I think I only have one bottle.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#8 of 14 Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM

There are mag creams you can apply (not sure about the absorption.) We have a mag/zinc cream bought at ourasdkids.com (I think--google it or search the allergies forum archives--I've linked it there...) HTH!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#9 of 14 Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 AM

We use Magnesium Ascorbate from Source Naturals and are very happy w/it. It dissolves easily in juice and is non-acidic/pH neutral with no additives/preservatives, etc.... It was recommended by dd's hcp. Highly recommend.

gl
hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#10 of 14 Old 02-03-2010, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
may i so ignorantly ask you mamas what you use magnesium for?

constipation?

thanks!
#11 of 14 Old 02-03-2010, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

I just recently found out about deficiencies & supplements. Here is my link about my DS. He was tentatively diagnosed as Bipolar (he's 4 1/2). The mamas here recommended magnesium supplementation. I don't know if it is the magnesium (and multi-vitamins) or the karate or the play therapy or all of the above, but he is doing amazingly better.

The short story is that it helps with aggression, irritability, hyperactivity, all of the yucky things that "difficult" kids have going on. And so much easier than eliminating foods. With so many battles going on in our house as it is, I'm trying to avoid as many battles as possible. I didn't want to get into it over food with DS.

I don't know the exact mechanism. I don't really care. I'm just super excited that it seems to be helping.

--amy
#12 of 14 Old 02-03-2010, 04:02 AM

I don't dissolve mine (I sandwich it between apple sauce). I simply can't imagine why it would matter. My NOW mag citrate is a hard pill. Why would a powder need to be dissolved first. It makes no sense. I may call them and ask.

My kids hate the powder. It would probably be better if I did dissolve it.

Glycinate is one of those amino acids that has some excitoxic properties (like glutamate does but not as severe in my understanding). I still use it for a supplement that is best in that form but w/citrate readily available I won't do mag. glycinate.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#13 of 14 Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 AM

My 4.5yo DD2 takes the Mg glycinate pill. So does my 9yo. And me. Maybe it's because we all take it together? I tried other forms of Mg, and they just didn't work for me.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#14 of 14 Old 02-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post
may i so ignorantly ask you mamas what you use magnesium for?

constipation?

thanks!
DD needs it to fall asleep at night, when she was little she was a mini Energizer bunny even though she was exhausted, DS will get hyper from various things without it. Most people don't get a lot from food, and it does a lot of useful things, we're working through a backlog of work that just didn't get done because we didn't have enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
I don't dissolve mine (I sandwich it between apple sauce). I simply can't imagine why it would matter. My NOW mag citrate is a hard pill. Why would a powder need to be dissolved first. It makes no sense. I may call them and ask.
Please let me know if you do, I wondered about how it would be different than either a capsule or a hard tablet, but the label is pretty specific.

Interesting about glycinate. Most people find it more effective than other forms, hmm....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page