Liver and GallBladder Flushes, Are They Safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has been recommended for me to do a liver/gallbladder flush similar to this one http://www.colonzone.org/liver-flush.php and I am wondering if this is safe(especially the malic acid supplements), especially when we plan on trying to conceive in 3-4 months.
Thanks!!
#2 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 01:51 PM

I use Dr. Hulda Clark's liver/gallbladder flushing recipe, which you can find on curezone.com and the FAQ says its safe. I've done the flush 13 times so far over the last few years. It took me 8 flushes to cure the chronic acne that I had (flushed once every 2 or 3 weeks in a row back then), so the other flushes have been just for maintenance. Dr. Clark doesn't mention taking a malic acid supplement, just mentions eating apples beforehand, which has malic acid. This is just done to help soften up the stones. Most of the times that I've done the flushes, I did not even eat apples beforehand.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#3 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 PM

Those aren't gallstones- they're soap http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=413022
#4 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynsage View Post
Those aren't gallstones- they're soap http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=413022
I never called them gallstones, I called them stones, and I've been fully aware of the critic's argument against these flushes, because of course I've done my research on it. I don't care what the stones are honestly if they are gallstones, soap stones, liver stones or what ever kind of stones, it doesn't matter, because the protocol says to keep flushing until you get out all your stones, and for me personally the number of stones I got out dramatically reduced on my 8th flush and that was also when my acne and oily skin became cured, it was "poof" my oily skin was gone the next day and no more acne came up, and I did the flush 2 more times after that for my series, and just got out very few stones the next 2 times, whereas, I had been getting out hundreds of stones before. This was in 2006 when I did it and this was my cure for the chronic acne that I had since I was a pre-teen. I did follow up flushes afterwards, many months later and only got out very few stones, not the hundreds of stones that I was getting out back when I had acne. The very last flush that I did a few months ago, I only got out maybe 2 or 3 stones. And no, my acne and oily skin has not returned since I cured it in 2006. I now have dry skin that I have to moisturize every day, no more oily skin, no more acne.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#5 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 08:41 PM

If you do have gallstones, no, they are not safe. That doesn't mean everyone who does flushes to try to treat gallstones will suffer ill effects, but basically all a flush is doing is introducing a series of common dietary triggers for trying to cause the gallbladder to contract harder than average. The gallbladder contracts, bile is ejected ... in theory if one has gallbladder "sludge" or tiny little crystals, encouraging gallbladder activity might actually help to rectify that. If one has stones larger than the (tiny) bile ducts, however, there is a substantially increased risk of causing a blockage of the gallbladder opening or causing stones to lodge in the bile ducts themselves. Both of which are excruciating and will often result in emergency surgery.

Basically, if your source of information claims that apple juice will soften stones (it doesn't), that larger than extremely tiny stones are realistically capable of passing through the (again, tiny) bile ducts, that stones are typically not only relatively large but also round and float, etc, etc, etc -- essentially the claims that accompany every flush recipe and product I have ever seen (and I've seen many) -- what you're looking at is snakeoil. Snakeoil for which you can always find devotees, but snakeoil just the same.
#6 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
If you do have gallstones, no, they are not safe. That doesn't mean everyone who does flushes to try to treat gallstones will suffer ill effects, but basically all a flush is doing is introducing a series of common dietary triggers for trying to cause the gallbladder to contract harder than average. The gallbladder contracts, bile is ejected ... in theory if one has gallbladder "sludge" or tiny little crystals, encouraging gallbladder activity might actually help to rectify that. If one has stones larger than the (tiny) bile ducts, however, there is a substantially increased risk of causing a blockage of the gallbladder opening or causing stones to lodge in the bile ducts themselves. Both of which are excruciating and will often result in emergency surgery.

Basically, if your source of information claims that apple juice will soften stones (it doesn't), that larger than extremely tiny stones are realistically capable of passing through the (again, tiny) bile ducts, that stones are typically not only relatively large but also round and float, etc, etc, etc -- essentially the claims that accompany every flush recipe and product I have ever seen (and I've seen many) -- what you're looking at is snakeoil. Snakeoil for which you can always find devotees, but snakeoil just the same.
The flush is meant for people with gallstones, so it is safe. The FAQ explains why it is safe. Also, people have passed stones as large as golf balls, so what you're saying about it not being able to pass through, isn't true for those people. My largest stone was about 1 inch in diameter and it looked like a gallstone (dark green in color). How big are bile ducts supposed to be and are they capable of expanding? I don't know, but I'd be surprised if my bile ducts were larger than 1 inch in diameter. Also, in the very rare occurrence of a stone getting stuck, the protocol is to take another dosage of the mixture, which will help release the stone. I've never had a stone get stuck.

I agree that apple juice doesn't help soften the stone because I know from personal experience. Most of the times, I didn't even bother with any apple juice beforehand, and still my stones came out soft. The stones come out in all different shapes, sizes colors, and different amounts of stones every time, some times hundreds of stones, some times only 3 stones or none at all. My very first few flushes produced mostly tan or light green stones and they were very, very small. As I got to my 5th and 6th flushes, I saw mostly dark green stones and the largest ever stones come out where many were about 1/2 big or larger. If the flushes are "snakeoil" then why did my acne and oily skin get instantly cured the day after my 8th flush, when the number of stones I got out dramatically reduced? I have no more acne and no more oily skin thanks to the flushes. My husband witnessed this, so you're welcome to speak to him, if you don't believe me. Also, there are many people (at least a few hundred, maybe thousands) on curezone.com who write about their great experiences with liver flushing curing their acne and other diseases too. What they wrote is what lead me to try it for curing my acne. Why would all of us being saying this if the flushes are really snakeoil?

#7 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
The flush is meant for people with gallstones, so it is safe. The FAQ explains why it is safe. Also, people have passed stones as large as golf balls, so what you're saying about it not being able to pass through, isn't true for those people. My largest stone was about 1 inch in diameter and it looked like a gallstone (dark green in color). How big are bile ducts supposed to be and are they capable of expanding? I don't know, but I'd be surprised if my bile ducts were larger than 1 inch in diameter. Also, in the very rare occurrence of a stone getting stuck, the protocol is to take another dosage of the mixture, which will help release the stone. I've never had a stone get stuck.
A lot of things are marketed to a lot of people for a lot of purposes ... something's existence does not mean it is safe.

The common bile duct averages about a fifth of an inch in diameter; the cystic duct which connects the gallbladder to the common duct is somewhat narrower. Yes, they will stretch, and no, they will not stretch that much.

What passes as "stones" from these flushes commonly do not originate from the biliary system but rather from the stomach and intestine. As such they can be any size the intestine can handle, which I think -- or at least I hope -- we all know is significantly larger than the bile duct system. And while gallstones may be green, they are not necessarily so ... green indicates the presence of bile, which is to be expected in one's excrement anyway when one has just drunk significant quantities of straight oil. One of the big problems with these flushes is they are their own self-contained source of instruction as to what gallstones look like, so when people see what the flush literature says they should they say to themselves, "aha! Gallstones!" But if what the flush typically caused people to excrete was orange marbles it would be just as simple for the flush literature to claim stones resemble goji berries.

Regardless, I really think you don't understand the severity of getting a real stone stuck. It falls in the category of things that get described as "a pain like no other." Whatever some website might claim as the proper "protocol" for handling it is frankly really irrelevant -- it is not a situation one should assume (a) they could handle if it happened, (b) can realistically be rectified by causing further contractions of the gallbladder, and (c) does not occur without very serious risk to one's well being. What you're looking at there is a quite high likelihood of developing infected ducts and gallstone pancreatitis ... we've moved on to talking things that left untreated properly can kill you. If one suspects or has confirmed the presence of gallstones it is not something to mess around with on the simple faith that the internet wouldn't lie to you.

As in my own original post, there may be some benefit in stimulating the gallbladder in some cases. Your acne and such isn't really relevant to the point of my own post ... that what the flushes cause is a reaction unrelated to gallstones while still being marketed as gallstone removal, and they can be hazardous outright to people with actual gallstones. I have no particular interest in what these flushes might or might not do for people without stones. But yes, a "cure" which makes fraudulent claims about its own effectiveness is snakeoil. And on the subject of gallstones that's exactly what this is.
#8 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
A lot of things are marketed to a lot of people for a lot of purposes ... something's existence does not mean it is safe.

The common bile duct averages about a fifth of an inch in diameter; the cystic duct which connects the gallbladder to the common duct is somewhat narrower. Yes, they will stretch, and no, they will not stretch that much.

What passes as "stones" from these flushes commonly do not originate from the biliary system but rather from the stomach and intestine. As such they can be any size the intestine can handle, which I think -- or at least I hope -- we all know is significantly larger than the bile duct system. And while gallstones may be green, they are not necessarily so ... green indicates the presence of bile, which is to be expected in one's excrement anyway when one has just drunk significant quantities of straight oil. One of the big problems with these flushes is they are their own self-contained source of instruction as to what gallstones look like, so when people see what the flush literature says they should they say to themselves, "aha! Gallstones!" But if what the flush typically caused people to excrete was orange marbles it would be just as simple for the flush literature to claim stones resemble goji berries.

Regardless, I really think you don't understand the severity of getting a real stone stuck. It falls in the category of things that get described as "a pain like no other." Whatever some website might claim as the proper "protocol" for handling it is frankly really irrelevant -- it is not a situation one should assume (a) they could handle if it happened, (b) can realistically be rectified by causing further contractions of the gallbladder, and (c) does not occur without very serious risk to one's well being. What you're looking at there is a quite high likelihood of developing infected ducts and gallstone pancreatitis ... we've moved on to talking things that left untreated properly can kill you. If one suspects or has confirmed the presence of gallstones it is not something to mess around with on the simple faith that the internet wouldn't lie to you.

As in my own original post, there may be some benefit in stimulating the gallbladder in some cases. Your acne and such isn't really relevant to the point of my own post ... that what the flushes cause is a reaction unrelated to gallstones while still being marketed as gallstone removal, and they can be hazardous outright to people with actual gallstones. I have no particular interest in what these flushes might or might not do for people without stones. But yes, a "cure" which makes fraudulent claims about its own effectiveness is snakeoil. And on the subject of gallstones that's exactly what this is.
I don't understand why you're calling it "marketing" when the flush is a free recipe that involves epsom salts, olive oil and grapefruit juice as the only ingredients. So you're saying that this "cure" is fraudulently claiming that it gets rid of gallstones? Well, not all authors or sources of the recipe claim that gallstones are being released. There are many different sources of the recipe and many variations and not all the authors claim that gallstones are being released, hence that is why I always call them "stones" because really it does not matter to me what they are, nor does the origin of where the stones came from matter to me either. The point is to cleanse the liver, and the flushes get the job done, so I don't care if its getting out gallstones, especially because eating a Traditional Foods diet with plenty of healthy fats will help dissolve and get rid of gallstones, so there is no reason for me to worry about gallstones anyway. I've searched for the horror stories of stones getting stuck, and they are rare, and I've never seen any deaths resulting from it. What would you suggest as an alternative to the flushes, if you think that they are so dangerous if you have gallstones? I don't consider gallbladder removal surgery an option.

#9 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 AM

It is being avertised as a natural, effective alternative to modern medical procedures. Sometimes freely on the internet, sometimes in books, sometimes as a part of a for-profit product, but all of it is marketing. (The link in the OP, for example, is plainly using the notion of a liver flush to push an $88 colon cleanse package.)

Again, my only concern is the claims of this being a cure for gallstones. Whatever other claims may be made of the same basic process really doesn't concern me. Although whether or not a brief diet heavy on apples, citrus, epsom salts, and oils does anything much for the liver itself is likely another area of debate.

The gallbladder naturally contracts throughout the day. It contracts more when one eats. It contracts still more when one's diet includes the types of foods which trigger the release of hormones which tell the gallbladder that more bile is needed in the intestine. The contractions of the gallbladder can cause stones to move around and eject, which can range from harmless to painful to dangerous. Period. Whether a quick googling turns up many anecdotes of flush-related "horror stories" is again irrelevant ... what we're talking about is simply what the gallbladder is, how it works, how it does not, and what can happen with the presence of stones. As said in my original post attempting a flush isn't a guarantee of problems for the effort. But people should be aware of how the gallbladder functions, how consuming some of what these flushes recommend affects the gallbladder, and what the risks are in intentionally encouraging gallbladder contractions when stones are present. That these flushes are advertised as having no risk greater than some discomfort is flatly disingenuous.

If any given person thinks their lifestyle makes them immune to the formation of stones, peachy. If any given person has decided in advance of actually having a problem that surgery is unacceptable to them, that's fine. These are matters of belief and preference ... I have no argument on that level. What you might do and what I might do in the face of severe gallbladder problems may well be polar opposites, and that's fine. There is simply no excuse for these flushes being advertised as they are to people with that particular problem, and people should be aware of their realistic limitiations in that respect ... that's a point that really has nothing whatsoever to do with what either of us might choose to do anyway. It simply has to do with being informed enough to recognize false claims as being false claims.
#10 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingMe View Post
It has been recommended for me to do a liver/gallbladder flush similar to this one http://www.colonzone.org/liver-flush.php and I am wondering if this is safe(especially the malic acid supplements), especially when we plan on trying to conceive in 3-4 months.
Thanks!!
I'm going to stay away from the debate up there and vote no on the safety of this flush.
#11 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 01:42 AM

As long as people are aware that this liver flush is a free recipe, I just wanted to make that clear.

Curezone's Liver Flush page links to this article:

"Gallstones can not be expelled from gallbladder! Fact or Fiction?"
http://www.curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=757387#i

which explains that some gallstones can exit gallbladder, which means that the liver flush can expel gallstones, and this is supported by scientific articles from PubMed, which the article links to.

Some people who didn't do any liver flushes still end up having gallbladder attacks anyway where gallstones end up blocking ducts, so I don't see how the liver flush is any more dangerous than doing nothing at all. As far as I know, the modern medical procedure for treating gallstones is either drugs or surgery (which have their own risks and side effects), so I don't see how those options are any safer than liver flushes.

I've done searches here on MDC in the past because I had to decide whether or not to do the flushes while nursing ( I did), and read about other people here on MDC doing these flushes in order to cure their gallbladder attacks, and they report success. Here is one thread for instance, I know there are a lot more: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=459964

#12 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, this has definitely been an informative thread. Thanks for all the replies. The liver/gallbladder flush was recommended from my acupuncturist who says my reason for being so tired and feeling heavy behind the eyes and foggy minded is because my liver is full of toxins (from years of constipation and other issues). She worked on my liver with acupuncture yesterday and today I woke up feeling more refreshed and not so tired in the eyes.
I read up a little bit on malic acid and it has some benefits for chronic fatigue syndrome which I was diagnosed with at 14, but some sources say that it can dislodge toxins such as mercury in the body, and I'm not comfortable with that so close to trying to conceive.
So now I am left confused. I am getting some benefit from my acupuncturist and herbs, but my hormones are still off (heavy periods that are slowly getting lighter but still quite heavy, uneven breasts that are fibrocystic) along with other issues like red eyes always, chronic chapped lips, hair loss on and off, mind fog, poor memory and more. So any advice on what I should do? Should I stick it out with the acupuncturist and hope the needles and herbs will correct these issues or should I go another route?
Thanks again for all the help and insight.
#13 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
which explains that some gallstones can exit gallbladder
No one is denying that some stones can exit the gallbladder. Surgeons who will tell you your only hope for relief is surgery still will not tell you it's impossible for gallstones to exit the gallbladder. I'm really not sure why that question even comes up. The problem isn't in whether or not stones can exit, the problem is in what diameter the stones are that can exit versus what diameter stones exist versus what happens when a stone that can not exit is propelled into trying to exit.

Quote:
Some people who didn't do any liver flushes still end up having gallbladder attacks anyway where gallstones end up blocking ducts, so I don't see how the liver flush is any more dangerous than doing nothing at all. As far as I know, the modern medical procedure for treating gallstones is either drugs or surgery (which have their own risks and side effects), so I don't see how those options are any safer than liver flushes.
See again how a gallbladder functions. In the presence of stones that can not exit the gallbladder a flush can not help. At all. Period. There is no potential for benefit there. The flush can be a neutral force, causing neither good nor harm. But by stimulating additional strong contractions of the gallbladder it can also cause harm. Arguing that something that can not help is worth a go is just bizarre. You might as well say "I heard arsenic can help dissolve gallstones. I know it doesn't work, and I know taking arsenic can hurt me, but hey, the ordinary treatments for gallstones can hurt people too so I might as well try it."

Quote:
I've done searches here on MDC in the past because I had to decide whether or not to do the flushes while nursing ( I did), and read about other people here on MDC doing these flushes in order to cure their gallbladder attacks, and they report success. Here is one thread for instance, I know there are a lot more: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=459964
People report success with a lot of things; an anecdote reporting the success of the physically impossible really shouldn't be relied upon for medical advice more than basic physics though. The fact remains that if you have stones larger than the bile ducts they're not going anywhere without the intervention of substances that can contribute to breaking them down -- a claim that can not be supported by epsoms and apples.
#14 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingMe View Post
Wow, this has definitely been an informative thread. Thanks for all the replies. The liver/gallbladder flush was recommended from my acupuncturist who says my reason for being so tired and feeling heavy behind the eyes and foggy minded is because my liver is full of toxins (from years of constipation and other issues). She worked on my liver with acupuncture yesterday and today I woke up feeling more refreshed and not so tired in the eyes.
I read up a little bit on malic acid and it has some benefits for chronic fatigue syndrome which I was diagnosed with at 14, but some sources say that it can dislodge toxins such as mercury in the body, and I'm not comfortable with that so close to trying to conceive.
So now I am left confused. I am getting some benefit from my acupuncturist and herbs, but my hormones are still off (heavy periods that are slowly getting lighter but still quite heavy, uneven breasts that are fibrocystic) along with other issues like red eyes always, chronic chapped lips, hair loss on and off, mind fog, poor memory and more. So any advice on what I should do? Should I stick it out with the acupuncturist and hope the needles and herbs will correct these issues or should I go another route?
Thanks again for all the help and insight.
For reasons you've mentioned here, I would be worried that you could have bad reactions to this type of flush. I assume some people do feel better when they do this type of flush (separate from the gallstone issue, which I don't know enough to address) but for others, they get a lot sicker, and it's due to toxins like mercury and other metals and the weird chemicals in so many places, they're squirted out with the bile but then some get reabsorbed. I saw this in myself just using a much smaller amount of lemon juice alone. If you're concerned about mobilizing mercury, this isn't the thing to do. And you've got enough symptoms, for a long, long time it sounds like, that your health issues are likely more involved than most people.

I'm sure this is colored by my experience, but if you don't have a heavy duty vit/min supplement, I'd get one, some extra B12, lots of vitamin C, probably extra mag--I'd start with basic nutrients. It wouldn't be enough to make a person who feels pretty bad feel normal, but it gives your body more tools to use to deal with this type of stuff. Thorne makes some good supplements and is readily available online.

I was nursing, so it was a bad idea, but I felt better, my mood actually lifted within a few days, just by drinking the juice of one lemon before breakfast for a few days. It did mobilize toxins (mercury + some weird mix of environmental chemicals), and I needed to increase the amount of vitamin C I was taking each day, but I did feel better. I was also already taking a big list of vit/min supps, I think that helped my body cope with what was mobilized. For me it was a small part of my health issues, but if you do it a good chunk of time before TTC (I'd say at least 4 months), it may be reasonable.

If you can keep up with the acupuncture, and do a good job with diet (real food, avoid foods you're intolerant of, general types of foods your TCM practitioner recommends), that's another route. If metals or some other significant detoxification issue is your problem, I'd think at some point you would need to address that, but I'd think you could feel better and healthier with this approach.
#15 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why you're calling it "marketing" when the flush is a free recipe that involves epsom salts, olive oil and grapefruit juice as the only ingredients. So you're saying that this "cure" is fraudulently claiming that it gets rid of gallstones? Well, not all authors or sources of the recipe claim that gallstones are being released. There are many different sources of the recipe and many variations and not all the authors claim that gallstones are being released, hence that is why I always call them "stones" because really it does not matter to me what they are, nor does the origin of where the stones came from matter to me either. The point is to cleanse the liver, and the flushes get the job done, so I don't care if its getting out gallstones, especially because eating a Traditional Foods diet with plenty of healthy fats will help dissolve and get rid of gallstones, so there is no reason for me to worry about gallstones anyway. I've searched for the horror stories of stones getting stuck, and they are rare, and I've never seen any deaths resulting from it. What would you suggest as an alternative to the flushes, if you think that they are so dangerous if you have gallstones? I don't consider gallbladder removal surgery an option.
I have to agree with you. I have talked to so many well known practitioners in my area and they all recommend liver flushes for certain people. I don't think it's for everyone but I don't see why these doctors would recommend a flush If it wasn't safe.
#16 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM

BeingMe, do you have dental amalgams because I'm wondering why you're concerned about the mercury? Dr. Hulda Clark's recipe instructions say to remove any dental amalgams first before doing the flushes. Mercury puts a huge burden on the liver. I personally used to have 8 amalgams for 10-15 years of my life, and I had them removed before I did the flushes. One of the liver's jobs is to regulate hormones so if you have symptoms of hormonal imbalance, then I think that these flushes would be beneficial for you, but maybe not doing them right away because like Tanya was saying you probably want to increase your nutrient levels first, get amalgams removed if you have any, etc. Like with the acne I had, I think that part of the cause was due to my liver not being able to regulate my hormones and not being able to detoxify my blood very well.

Here are some answers from various Curezone articles about the danger/risks, if you have gallstones. The estimate is 10-20% of the population has gallstones. If you don't have gallstones, then these risks don't apply to you. If you do have gallstones, then I'd compare these risks/dangers with the risks/dangers and side effects of drugs and/or surgery, which is the Western treatment for gallstones.

Are there any risks associated with gallstones and gallbladder flushing?

Risks are small, but 1 out of 150 people with symptomatic gallstones may experience stone stuck inside the cystic duct or stone stuck inside the common bile duct.

Source: http://curezone.com/faq/p/r3.asp?a=2...4&o2=9366&u3=1

1 out of 150 people with symptomatic gallstones who try liver flush may experience serious case of acute pancreatitis and may need emergency medical help.

Source: http://curezone.com/faq/p/r3.asp?a=2...4&o2=9640&u3=1

If you have asymptomatic gallstones, the oods are in the range of 1 out of 500.

Read more here about the risks associated with liver flushing:
http://curezone.com/faq/p/r.asp?a=28,571,2826&s=21&u=4
http://curezone.com/faq/p/r.asp?a=28,571,2826&s=21&u=3
http://curezone.com/faq/p/e2.asp?a=2...21&u=1&o=11381
http://curezone.com/forums/s.asp?f=565&ob=d&c=9

#17 of 20 Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ThereseReich, there's nothing in this flush that directly acts on a person's amalgams, the big factor is whether a person is mercury toxic (or more generally, has an extraordinarily high toxic load from another source). Some people with amalgams excrete mercury poorly, some excrete quite well and don't have health issues like I have, but others who become mercury toxic have a difference source of exposure. Whichever is the case, the high toxic load is there, even if amalgams are removed. I'd argue that the 6-9 mos immediately after amalgam removal are a riskier time to do this flush than while one still has amalgams, due to the spike in mercury exposure due to the removal itself plus the tendency of a balance to shift in the body after that mercury source is removed.

This flush has a very bad reputation among people dealing with mercury toxicity--it tends to make them sicker, because so much is mobilized, and their nutritional stores are so worn down. Getting amalgams out, in the short term, worsens both of those. That's where my concern is coming from.

Given that it's so well-known, I don't doubt that it is helpful for some people, the trick is figuring out whether it will be good for any one individual. And since BeingMe said that she got a chronic fatigue diagnosis probably half her life ago (guessing on her age), I think that puts her health in the highly compromised group, and that increases the downside risks of this.
#18 of 20 Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 AM

Good to know, and I agree Tanya. I didn't know that mercury-toxic people (people that exhibit symptoms of mercury toxicity, I'm assuming) aren't handling the flush too well, but I was just wondering if she had amalgams because I was wondering if that would be a possible cause for why she's worried about mercury. I guess I'm lucky that I did so well with the flushes considering that I used to have 8 amalgams, but then again, acne was my only "health problem" (and it was very severe acne) and I've never had any other health problems aside from mild scoliosis if you want to count that. Now, I recall reading that some of the more severely ill people who posted on curezone about their liver flushing experiences said that they didn't handle the liver flush well either (feeling sick, exhibiting detox symptoms, etc. but nothing life-threatening). So yeah, that makes sense that you have to have satisfactory health in order to do the flushes. I personally have never felt sick and never experienced any detox symptoms from doing internal cleansing (I've done colon cleanses and parasites cleanses too).

#19 of 20 Old 02-05-2010, 05:50 PM

ThereseReich, may I ask - did you do colonics and/or enemas when you were doing the flushes?
Very interesting thread!
Thanks to all for sharing info.
#20 of 20 Old 02-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMom View Post
ThereseReich, may I ask - did you do colonics and/or enemas when you were doing the flushes?
Neither...I took oral herbal mixtures for colon cleansing and parasite cleansing. After I completed those, then I did the liver flushes. But, there are many different ways to do colon cleansing, so I think that colonics or enemas would be ok to do also. The only negative thing about colon cleansing that I'm aware of is that it wipes away your flora (good bacteria), so its important to repopulate flora with probiotics.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page