how to get toddler to take probiotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just came back from the naturopath with an armful of probiotics and homeopathics to treat my 18 month olds skin issues. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get her to ingest the large amount of probiotic powder he prescribed for her to take twice/day. It says to dissolve it in water, but she hardly drinks any water during the day since she's still nursing. And she definitely wouldn't drink the cloudy water anyway. She can't eat dairy, so I can't put it in yogurt or anything either. The total dosage is about 1 tablespoon/twice day, so I can't put it directly on her tongue. Anyone BTDT and have other ideas?
#2 of 6 Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 PM

• Mix into juice
  • Mix into a very small amount of smoothie (to ensure she gets the full dose) and you drink the rest of the smoothie
  • Sprinkle on cereal
  • Sprinkle on cut up fruit

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#3 of 6 Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM

Can your DD have goats milk? I've mixed it in goats milk yogurt (it's really tasty and "better" for us than cows milk) and also in coconut milk yogurt if she can't do goats milk.

Carrie~ wife to Ryan, and finally mama to Emmery (1/15/09) via IVF after 3 1/2 years TTC!
Breast Feeding, Bed Sharing, Baby Wearing, Select/Delayed Vaxing, Attached Family
#4 of 6 Old 02-03-2010, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mix in a small amount of water, like 2 teaspoons, and use a medicine syringe to squirt it into her mouth. I did that a lot with my son at that age. Use juice if the flavor's off, but I'd expect the flavor to be mild enough for water.

Oh wait, the dosage is 1 tablespoon of powder? That's a lot. You can mix 1 tsp of powder into 2 tsp of liquid, I do that with various powders, but that's still a lot more if she won't cooperate. When my kids needed volumes of powder closer to that, I mixed it in juice, still not more than 2-3 T and had them drink it off a tablespoon, more like medicine than food, but that needs some level of cooperation.
#5 of 6 Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. We were able to get down a little more than half of it with a syringe. She's not a big eater so I'm concerned that mixing it with food with just waste it. She doesn't drink juice or eat much fruit. She has absolutely no sweet tooth! I might try mashing up some regular or sweet potatoes too and mixing it in. She's always been a self-feeder so maybe the novelty of me spoon-feeding her will work for a while. I'll look into coconut milk yogurt too.
#6 of 6 Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 AM

I have been making a paste with just water and sticking it in her mouth then breastfeeding right away. She cried the first few times as I had to pin her down (not my first choice believe me) but now she just opens up and we do our thing. I wait until she asks to nurse as well and that helps.

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page