Eczema in 3yo, not diet related...how do I treat it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD has seasonal eczema all over her body every winter. By the spring time it clears up completely, and she's fine until the next winter (hence why I don't think it's diet related). It is super extensive this past week, and we haven't been doing anything differently (other than avoiding baths and showering her instead, every 2-3 days, for the past month or two).

We lotion her up twice per day with organic, unscented, dye-free lotion (the most "natural" we could find at Whole Foods), but it's not going away. I don't want to take her to see our MD since he'll just prescribe something very strong, likely with steroids, or other junk. It didn't bother her until lately, when she occasionally scratches at the patches.

Is there are more natural, and EFFECTIVE way of treating seasonal eczema?

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#2 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Well we are dealing with some bad eczema on my babe (I started another thread about our drama)... possibly food related for us. But I can give you the basic advice as I've dealt this this myself for awhile and DS1 has it sometimes too.

Make sure she is drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated. (I know I struggle with this in the winter as I'm just not as thirsty.) Put a humidifier in her room. Oatmeal baths every other day. Pat dry and follow with lotion to seal in moisture. DS1 has done well with Nature's Gate Collidal Oatmeal Lotion. We also make sure we are using super gentle soap/shampoo on him. California Baby Shampoo and Bodywash has done well for us. For patches that flare up you can try a heavier moisturizer like shea butter or a calendula oil. I have found hydrocordizone helps with really itchy issues, like when they are disrupting my sleep. But not something I want to use all the time. I prefer the Exederm brand for that.

Good luck! Hopefully some others will chime in too.

~Kaiya~

winner.jpg  Mama to DS(7), DS(4), DD(1) and #4 due 8/2014!

#3 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 06:13 PM

Our son has it on his cheeks in the winter and we use calendula cream, and lots of shea butter or cocoa butter. We only use organic body wash or cocoa butter soap for his cheeks. His is not dietary caused either.

Good luck to you. The calendula cream works wonders.

The other thing is, we only give him a bath every other day and that helps too.

Take care!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#4 of 8 Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We found that giving our dd cod liver oil daily really helped. Flaxseed oil is also good. Externally pure oil like grapeseed or apricot. (I don't think Burt's Bee's is a good one since it contains fragrance and several other ingredients.)

#5 of 8 Old 02-10-2010, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try some of your suggestions. The oils everyone suggested sound good (and I might want to steal some for my own use, since they sound so luxurious!). Would regular olive oil work as well?

Other than the occasional discomfort, is there any real harm to eczema? If it doesn't bother DD, do I need to treat it aggressively, knowing that it will go away in the spring?

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#6 of 8 Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 AM

I think the new advice is multiple baths a day if it's really bad. My pedi told me to give my son two (very short, lukewarm) baths daily followed by a sealant ointment like Aquaphor. I would try a daily bath followed by the oil of your choice to start out with, to seal in the moisture from the bath. I found daily baths to almost immediately heal my son's eczema. If I tried to skip baths and use just a moisturizer, it did nothing for him.
#7 of 8 Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 PM

In my experience, just because it goes away in the spring doesn't mean that it is not diet related. Hope you get it figured out.
#8 of 8 Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Other than the occasional discomfort, is there any real harm to eczema?
They can not be vaccinated against smallpox and/or be in close contact with anyone who has been recently vaccinated against it. The results of doing so could be fatal. See http://www.bt.cdc.gov/training/small...ns/ec_vac.html

This would be a specific concern for military families since most of the public are not vaxxed for it currently.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page