Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great thread!
Just wanted to link an article I just read this morning:
Top 10 Anti-Cancer Foods for The New Decade
#32 of 41 Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Also, I read Suzanne Somers' latest books and got a lot out of them. I'm not sure what CorasMama means by them being widely discredited?
If nothing else, Suzanne beat breast cancer which in itself make her books inspiring reads for me.
#33 of 41 Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 PM

YOu can heal your life by Louise hay.. I dont think cancer is just about our bodies but also our minds

blessings
#34 of 41 Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 PM

I think eating as much raw fruits and veggies as you can can go along way towards cancer prevention. Like at least 50% Most raw veggie fruits are alkaline, which can prevent cancer. Avoiding sugar, like has been mentioned. And I do think meat and dairy consumption can play a role in cancer development.

I am concerned about radon, off to do some research.
#35 of 41 Old 02-18-2010, 10:19 PM

well, for one thing, one of the doctors she interviews is Nicholas Gonzalez, whose pancreatic cancer "treatment" was determined to be worse than doing nothing. But there are other problems as well, including a broad misunderstanding of science and medicine at a pretty basic level.

A good summary of just a few of the problems with Somers' book: http://dinosaurmusings.blogspot.com/...dy-cancer.html

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#36 of 41 Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
Thanks, Tracearound- your post made me realize I'm past due for my pap smear.
I'm glad to hear this.

I went two years between a pelvic exam because I had no insurance for those two years. In that time, I went from perfectly fine to stage 3c ovarian cancer and I had NO CLUE until I felt the tumors myself.

Don't be me.

survivor. Missing my three miracles 12-30-09
#37 of 41 Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 AM

I was vegan and a BFing, alternative medicine person and still got cancer. My naturopath misdiagnosed me and said I was iodine deficient, and when I was finally diagnosed by a real MD she wanted me to go to Tijuana Mexico for treatment. I thank God that the chemo was there to save my life so I could see my daughter grow up. My oncologist only gave me a 30% change of survival.
#38 of 41 Old 02-19-2010, 02:35 AM

Unfortunately, in today's world you can do everything right and still have a high risk of cancer.

But, I thought I would mention a couple of other things I haven't seen yet in this thread.
-Avoid Plastics as much as possible.
-Avoid drinking tap water unless purified.
-Avoid washing with chemical detergents - switch to handmade soaps and natural cleaners.
-Yearly bloodwork.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am wondering though about Ovarian cancer as mentioned by a PP. My aunt survived Ovarian cancer about 2 years ago, and I didn't know a pelvic exam checked for Ovarian cancer?

Ashlee - wifey to Josh , mama to Gavin 9/2007 , and expecting a baby GIRL 7/20/10.
#39 of 41 Old 02-19-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBroken View Post
Unfortunately, in today's world you can do everything right and still have a high risk of cancer.

But, I thought I would mention a couple of other things I haven't seen yet in this thread.
-Avoid Plastics as much as possible.
-Avoid drinking tap water unless purified.
-Avoid washing with chemical detergents - switch to handmade soaps and natural cleaners.
-Yearly bloodwork.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am wondering though about Ovarian cancer as mentioned by a PP. My aunt survived Ovarian cancer about 2 years ago, and I didn't know a pelvic exam checked for Ovarian cancer?
You are probably thinking of a pap. Usually they do both exams at the same time. If they don't, ask that they do. Usually it would be part of your yearly female workup.

The pap part (that most people think of) is just where they take a smear of cells from the cervix. The pelvic part of the exam is where they feel around inside and outside. The doctor feels the outside of the uterus from all sides (that they can get to) and is able to feel any abnormalities. If something is suspected, you have an ultrasound done which will show any cysts or tumors on the ovaries.

The pelvic exam isn't comfy but I'd rather be uncomfy for a few minutes than the alternative.

survivor. Missing my three miracles 12-30-09
#40 of 41 Old 02-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjandosmom View Post
sorry, I may have sounded ignorant but I have cancer and I did do all the 'right' things. It sucks and sometimes it just happens. I get very irritated by all this 'you can prevent' cancer crap I see. I am sure to a certain extent you can help prevent it but largely I don't think you can. I have it and it's not because of something I did or didn't do.

I'll just second the advice to have regular medical check-ups and get weird symptoms checked out. I would never have thought that the two little lumps on my neck were cancer, but if I had ignored them, things would have gotten much worse for me very quickly.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#41 of 41 Old 02-19-2010, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I heard an interesting program on NPR's "the People's Pharmacy" recently on this subject. They were interviewing the author of the "Anti-Cancer" book, who is a dr (psychiatrist, I believe, and cofounder of Doctors Without Borders) who survived two bouts of brain cancer. He really stressed eliminating things (esp foods) that cause inflammation. It sounded like a good book. I'm thinking of picking it up.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page