Best anti-cancer precautions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These days it seems that everyone I know has been touched by cancer. I've lost several family members to it, and DH is about to lose his brother to lung cancer (young, non-smoker). We are going through chemo and radiation horrors right now, and I never want to see myself or my partner go through this

I've been thinking about compiling a cheat sheet here of info about cancer prevention, for us, for our kids...dietary, via supplements or what not. Please feel free to add your own ideas.

- DON'T SMOKE! Try not to work in smoky places. This includes pot!
- limit processed meats and red meat, or eat leaner red meat
- limit refined flours and sugar
- limit salt
- EXERCISE
- maintain a healthy BMI
- limit fruit and veggies with pesticides if not organic (esp berries)
- limit alcohol (linked to breast, colon, mouth, liver cancers)
- NO TANNING BEDS!!
-

'Alt' stuff:

- meditate! stress reduction is a must
- antioxidants!! Vit C, dark berries and veggies
- CoQ10

...I'll be back with more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 11:13 PM

maintain good vitamin D levels
Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if most/all cancers are related to blood folate levels (or dietary folate) or not, but I'm pretty sure some are.

It would be worthwhile to read about the MTHFR gene variant, it involves how some people use folate, and it's relatively common, albeit a minority of the population. Some people seem to need more folate than others, and they seem to be inefficient at converting synthetic folic acid into actual folate that our bodies can use.

Here's a short page on folate...
http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/folate.php

and check out the other page on MTHFR as well (the left sidebar).
Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 PM

Breastfeed as much is possible!!

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
Old 02-09-2010, 01:05 AM

Vitamin D!!!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Keep 'em coming!!
Old 02-09-2010, 02:07 AM

Keep your distance from radio transmitters, such as cell phones. Don't wear them on your body.
Keep your distance from high electromagnetic fields.
Don't wear underwires in your bras; they are signal receivers (not what I want around delicate tissue).
Wear constraining bras as little as possible anyway. The lymphatic system needs to drain.

Drink clean water.
Breathe clean air.
Use gas-powered stuff as little as possible. Eliminate altogether if feasible.
Use good ventilation and/or N-95 NIOSH masks, and gloves when handling carcinogenic chemicals, if you must handle them at all.
Use natural cleaners around the home. Use products with the least impact possible.
Eat organic when possible.
Don't use chemical lawn care and chemical pesticides.
Be aware of what's going on around where you live and work. Are you next door to a golf course (lots of pesticides, etc)? Are you directly under high power lines? Are you under a cell tower?

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i believe that inflammation is a big factor. so eliminating those foods you listed earlier like sugar and processed stuff.

and de-stress!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:20 AM

Do NOT skip yearly paps and pelvic exams.

Please. If I manage to save one woman the horror of ovarian cancer by nagging about getting regular checkups, it will be worth it.

Granted, not so much prevention as it is early detection. Learn the early symptoms and get it checked out. I was at stage 3c when I was diagnosed after going two years without a pelvic.

survivor. Missing my three miracles 12-30-09
Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 AM

Two of my relatives got cancer (different types) recently. Both their regular doctors (oncologists, etc.) and their naturapaths told them to significantly increase their Vitamin D and to cut way back on sugar intake, (with naturapath saying to) include natural sugars like lactose and white starches (breads, potatoes, etc.).
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
Don't wear underwires in your bras; they are signal receivers (not what I want around delicate tissue).
how's that? Got a source?

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 PM

...more...

Avoid taking synthetic hormones....estrogen and progestins. Instead of hormonal contraception, use fertility awareness (FAM) or natural family planning (NFP). Instead of synthetic hormone replacement therapy, and only if necessary, use bioidentical hormones.

Test the radon levels in your home and mitigate if necessary.

Use fragrance-free and unscented products. Fragrances can be made up of more than 100 ingredients, none of which have to be disclosed, and some of which can be carcinogenic.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
how's that? Got a source?
A wire is basically an antenna. Just stop and think about it. And having wire there is just not necessary. Not worth even a minute risk, IMO.

If you find underwires necessary, you can find plastic replacements in fabric stores.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:12 PM

flax oil?

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Old 02-09-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
A wire is basically an antenna. Just stop and think about it. And having wire there is just not necessary. Not worth even a minute risk, IMO.

If you find underwires necessary, you can find plastic replacements in fabric stores.
What about metal snaps?

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

Old 02-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamja View Post
What about metal snaps?
Yes, those too. But usually they are smaller and not positioned near the breast. They would concentrate signals to a lesser degree.

I went to a conference about 12 years or so back on the health effects of cell phone energy. A woman had done some research on how energy radiates from a cell phone. The one big thing that sticks in my memory is when she showed that on a person wearing metal frame eyeglasses, the power radiates from one side of the head to the other, moving easily across the metal glasses frame. The power also radiates into the head of the user. Wearing a wired remote connecton from the cell phone to the ear wasn't any better...and even possibly worse. Worse, because it brought the energy inside the ear...even closer into the brain. She also had photos showing how the energy radiates inside the head. This wasn't a theoretical computer model...she took actual measurements. I believe she did use a simulated head, so it wouldn't be invasive on any person. I wish I could remember the conference name or her name.

Unfortunately every time I put on my metal frame glasses, I think about this study. I don't really have an alternative for this...plastic frames just don't fit me at all. So, I just don't use my cell phone very much (emergency or very important stuff), and when I'm just walking around with the phone in my purse, I keep its power off, unless absolutely necessary.

Personally, I'd like to see a study on how all kinds of wearable metal radiates cell phone energy. Metal barettes, metal jewelry, belt buckles, and anything else you can think of.

I'm also reminded that there are signals everywhere...not just from cell phones. It's just that cell phones typically get higher energy levels closer to the body than most anything else I can think of.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Great thread. I'm turning 30 this year and cancer prevention has been on my mind a lot lately.

We were considering buying a house out in the country surrounded by corn fields but after thinking about all the pesticides they would use, we changed our mind.

Another thing to consider is parks, lawns, etc that spray herbicides, insecticides. Do you really want dc rolling around on that?

Anything that you spread on your skin use with caution. Read the ingredients. Whatever is listed will be absorbed. Makes me cringe at the thought of sunscreen and lotions!

Plastics! yikes. We try to avoid plastics as much as possible.

exercise

eat healthy, natural foods.

avoid red meat. If you do eat it, make sure your bowel movements are regular. You don't want that meat sitting in your colon for prolonged periods

avoid lunch meat and nitrates
Old 02-14-2010, 12:00 AM

These are all great ideas but sometimes it just doesn't matter. Sometimes you just get cancer and there is nothing you can do. sometimes it just happens.

momma to 4!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:14 AM

After reading about many cultures that rely heavily on red meat, I don't agree that we should not eat it. I do think it should always be pastured as grain fed animals are changed when not eating grass.

My step-mother had cancer and even her mainstream doc said to stay away from sugar.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjandosmom View Post
These are all great ideas but sometimes it just doesn't matter. Sometimes you just get cancer and there is nothing you can do. sometimes it just happens.
Exactly. And that is why learning the early warning signs and early cancer detection are absolutely vital.

You can try and prevent all you want but that isn't going to help much if you are among the very unlucky to hear those dreaded words, "You have cancer and it is too far gone."

I go back to my earlier post. Do NOT skip your pelvic exams. Ovarian cancer kills and often silently.

The warning signs are very often mistaken for other problems like gas or indigestion or other things like that.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
....and sometimes, unhealthy lifestyles, lack of knowledge and lack of proaction cause cancer. If I took the above attitude, I'd be playing with fire. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm not about defeatism when I see so many people around me suffering. Maybe the way they conducted their lives could have *saved* their lives or not allowed cancer to spread as quickly.

The agony that my BIL is going through - his bones are cracking from the cancer - is something that I never want my DH or kids to have to endure, and if making small changes writes off even 30% of the cancers on the list, then so be it.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:32 PM

Natural News is running a series on this exact topic...

http://www.naturalnews.com/028158_ca...revention.html

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 02-14-2010, 08:09 PM

sorry, I may have sounded ignorant but I have cancer and I did do all the 'right' things. It sucks and sometimes it just happens. I get very irritated by all this 'you can prevent' cancer crap I see. I am sure to a certain extent you can help prevent it but largely I don't think you can. I have it and it's not because of something I did or didn't do.

momma to 4!
Old 02-15-2010, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
sorry, I may have sounded ignorant but I have cancer and I did do all the 'right' things. It sucks and sometimes it just happens. I get very irritated by all this 'you can prevent' cancer crap I see. I am sure to a certain extent you can help prevent it but largely I don't think you can. I have it and it's not because of something I did or didn't do.
I'm truly sorry to hear about your diagnosis
Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 PM

Has anyone read any of Suzanne Somers' books about health and medical break throughs (dealing with things like hormones, adrenal fatigue, cancer, aging well, etc.)? Her book Knockout: Interviews with Doctors Who Are Curing Cancer--And How to Prevent Getting It in the First Place looks interesting, although I haven't read that one yet.

AP mama to two boys (5 , 3) fencing.gifand one sweet girl baby energy.gif
Old 02-16-2010, 11:43 PM

Suzanne Somers is a great lady and all, but her book and its "experts" have been widely discredited.

I'm a huge fan of Dr. Susan Love, though. She's got some great information in her book on breast cancer.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
I'm truly sorry to hear about your diagnosis
Thanks. Sorry I sounded so biter. I'm pretty pissed off about the whole thing.

momma to 4!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Sorry I sounded so biter. I'm pretty pissed off about the whole thing.
And that is okay. Cancer sucks and it is totally okay to be angry about it.

I know. I've been there.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:39 PM

Many herbs are said to have anticancer properties;
tulsi basil(holy basil)(you can drink this as a yummy tea)
red clover(also good as tea)
dandelion

limit soy intake(t=unfermented soy products like soy milk, formula, tofu, protein powder, flour, etc.)
choose tempe and miso if you want to have soy.

cell phone usage(have been seeing articles lately about the negative health effects of excessive cell phone usage)

Try not to worry too much! That is the hardest one for me. I just start to get paranoid when I think about this stuff, and that is probably the worst thing possible for my body!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, Tracearound- your post made me realize I'm past due for my pap smear.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

User Tag List