shorten duration of menstruation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-27-2004, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
b'h

hi there! boy has it been a while since i've logged onto this site! wow!

question for all those experienced people out there.

does anyone know of any herbal/homeopathic/natural etc remedy or other to shorten the duration of the period. i used to get my period for 3-4 days, now it lasts sometimes 9 or 10 days!!!! not fun.

any ideas?

thanks so much!
#2 of 8 Old 02-28-2004, 02:22 AM

Not herbal, but I found my period to decrease in length (and others have mentioned the same thing) when I switched from tampons to the Diva Cup (something about the suction ).

You might check out the Natural Heath (name?) board.

#3 of 8 Old 02-28-2004, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom told me to eat lots of sour stuff and not spicey things and period will go away faster. I'm not sure if that actually works because I never tried. Mine are usually 3 - 5 days. Maybe you can try and tell me if it works. If you're concerned about bleeding too much, there's a Chinese herbal thing I have used which is very effective in stopping bleeding. Any kind of bleeding. You can PM me if you want to know. I need to find out its exact name and brand.

I found that when my period is short, it's very very heavy on the first day. It's gross and makes a lot of mess.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#4 of 8 Old 02-29-2004, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

b'h

i switched to the diva cup about 6-7 months ago and i haven't seen a change...........oh, well. i guess i'll deal. thanks,
#5 of 8 Old 02-29-2004, 03:34 PM

I take 1750 mg's of Evening Primrose Oil daily and it wipes out most pms symptoms, and erases cramping during menstruation. My periods have always been about 5 days so I'm not sure if it will help with your particular question, but it can certainly ease most symptoms.

Good luck, Mary
#6 of 8 Old 02-29-2004, 03:48 PM

We just had someone post info to a Jewish Mama's list I am on with info to lengthen cycle and shorten your period. I'll repeat the info here:

"1 multivitamin in the morning along with 1 B complex 50 mg tablet and 1 500 mg tablet Vitamin C with bioflavanoids. The bioflavanoids part is very important, as this is the component which builds capillary wall strength and stops the bleeding (for all of you out there who bleed 7 or more days). Then in the evening, 1 more Vitamin C with bioflavanoids (you can take another multi if you wish, but I find that it is not necessary).

IMPORTANT: The B complex MUST be taken in the morning, as it has a stimulating effect, and you do not wish to be lying awake at night.

You may start this any day of the cycle and continue throughout the cycle. Simple and effective."

I know some women take shepherd's purse starting on the first day of their cycle and find that it shorten their cycle too, but SP can be "fiddly" in that you either have to take it as a tea or find a tincture made of the fresh herb (the best). Probably your best bet is to find a trained herbalist that can pin down what your specific issue is (but try the vitamins in the meantime?).
#7 of 8 Old 02-29-2004, 09:57 PM

Moving this to Health and Healing...
#8 of 8 Old 03-01-2004, 01:34 AM

Nettles are supposedly credited with "normalizing menstrual flow" and "controling excessive menstrual flow". I'm not entirely clear if this is in relation to the "amount" or if it refers to "duration" but either way it looks beneficial.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page