sinus infection/green mucus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is actually a question about me. i have a cold that i believe has turned into a sinus infection. my throat really hurts, i have a drip, and just feel totally clogged up. i really didn't want to take antibiotics but i feel reckless ignoring this. i'm taking high doses of vit c,i always take d, calcium, b, and a multi.
i'm afraid of the neti pot.
what other vitamins should i take? someone suggested zinc and garlic...i can't take echinacea because i am multiple sclerosis.
do you think some sinus or throat infection require antibiotics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 10:44 AM

Why are you afraid of the neti pot? It could give you a ton of relief. I have saggy sinuses that give me a ton of trouble every time I get a cold. The neti pot has been my savior. There is nothing scary about it. You might not use it perfectly the first time, but you won't hurt yourself at all. Mine came with simple instructions.

You might also try gargling with salt water. When I have a drip I can get a really sore throat from mucus that hangs out in the back of my throat. The only way I get this nasty stuff out (which is usually hard and bloody...EWWW!) is by gargling with warm salt water.

You might need an antibiotic, but I really have no idea. Whether or not you do these 2 things can give you some immediate temporary relief. When things are bad for me I will gargle and use the neti pot 3 times a day.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 AM

96% of all sinus infections culture positive for fungal flora. Itchy ears are associated with fungal issues. .

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/mayo_...inus_infection
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/834401-overview
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0910080344.htm

I'd focus on gut healing.

Antibiotics are NOT indicated or effective for fungal infections. Basically, antibiotics damage the integrity of the immune system and cause gut microflora balance. I would work at healing the gut and strengthening the immune system. Where to start? Help 101

Your body is healing itself from an infectious exposure. Takes about a week to 10 days. Zinc, magnesium, vit C, folate. Avoid sugar, dairy and gluten.

I would do natural antifungals, antibacterials, antiparasitic, antimicrobials foods and spices in our diet and then whole food probiotics. Epsom salt baths to support detox pathways.
Caution: not all the natural antimicrobials are appropriate for pregnant or nursing mothers!!

Try The Master Tonic! It'll about cure anything from 10ft away.

Do you have/had mercury fillings in your teeth?

Do you consume dairy?

Both contribute to inflammatory processes and impaired gut health.

Stop all dairy and wheat for 2 weeks. I'll bet that helps. If so, don't resume them.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 PM

You can look at homeopathics as well. Kali bich is a big sinus infection remedy when green mucus is present.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 PM

I would try the neti pot. It can provide so much relief.

You can get a little syringe or a little sprayer thing instead if you have trouble dumping water up your nose.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 PM

Apple cider vinegar is also helpful for a sore throat - In addition to warm salt water gargles. One to two teaspoons in a glass of water (ALWAYS DILUTE) and add a little apple juice or honey or maple syrup to help w/the taste, if needed. Do this three times a day.

Also, I have cured many sinus infections w/garlic. Seriously. I take 1 or 2 cloves every 1 to 2 hours during the day. It has totally saved me from nasty antibiotics.

FWIW, last week I just got over the bug you describe. Dh came home from work w/it the week before and then got me sick. He went the commercial drug route and I went the natural route. I was not sick nearly as long or as badly as he was. Coincidence? Maybe, but he also ended up on an antibiotic (he's still on it now actually). Also, eat a lot of veggies that contain vit a as it helps the body fight infection. Consider taking a good cod liver oil daily. I have not taken the Master Tonic, , but I would if the acv and garlic didn't help.

gh
hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

Old 02-17-2010, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to get chronic sinus infections in college, I had polyops but didn't want to have surgery. I took antibiotics alot . That was before I knew anything!) I havenot taken antibiotics for any sinus related issues (which I still get , but much less frequently) in over 10 years....why? The neti pot! My advice is to get over your fear. Just try it. Once you get used to it, it is no big deal!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:26 PM

I just had great success getting rid of a sinus infection using oil of oregano. It was a nasty bacterial infection that was getting worse and I'm sure it would have lasted another two weeks. I used 3 drops of oil of oregano in a tsp of maple syrup three times the first day and it was gone within 24 hours! I took it 2 times the next day and 1 time the day after that just to make sure it was gone.

User Tag List