Crohn's help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have been flaring since summer after 4 years of remission.

I currently take

A multivitamin with a B25 complex
3 Omega 3 caps
2 probiotic caps
6000 IU vitamin D

Slippery Elm musilage 2-3x a day

I dont eat meat, dairy or eggs, for my health, not for moral reasons.

I am willing to try other diets, or supplements.

I ordered some aloe vera caps to see if they will help.
I cook with turmeric as I know its a potent anti-inflammatory.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#2 of 6 Old 02-17-2010, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you taking any medical treatments-- mesalamine, for example?

Have you seen the Specific Carbohydrate Diet? The diet is a complete 180 from the diet you seem to be describing. But a lot of us with inflammatory bowel disease (I have ulcerative colitis) have found a lot of relief with it. It takes commitment and can be hard to adjust to-- it involves eliminating certain carbohydrates that are difficult to digest, because the undigested carbohydrate feeds yeast in the gut. At least that's my understanding of it-- I know it's more complicated than that. I just know it works, and very well. I have been on it for two years, and off my immunosuppressant drug for 8 months against medical advice, and I'm doing well, and I recently reintroduced a few "forbidden carbohydrates" just to see how I tolerate them.

Are you using medical-grade probiotics? Have you seen VSL#3? The probiotic capsules that you can buy retail typically contain about a billion cultures. A capsule of VSL#3 contains 8 different organisms, and the highest concentration available-- 450 billion cultures per capsule.

Live-culture foods can help a lot, too. Honestly, I can't imagine managing IBD without home-cultured yogurt, for instance.

Look into the SCD. It may not be for you, and there are definitely people it doesn't work for, but I've had so much success with it that I'm a big believer in it. And live-caught Pacific salmon for fatty acids. The omega 3s in supplements don't absorb as well as the ones in real foods. It's the same with the probiotics-- live cultures in food will survive the stomach environment better, and make it to where they belong.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 6 Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 PM

I started reading this thread because my recent research also links Crohns disease and the SCD diet... and I just started the SCD diet today. I have no idea what I 'have' but I know that I need to try the SCD diet. I am going to start a new thread here to see if I can gain support... I need it. I don't want to hijack your thread Lydiah but maybe you can learn more about the SCD diet in the new thread.

not all who wander are lost
#4 of 6 Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I was just looking into Candida today. Someone IRL suggested it and I am going to switch to a anti-candida diet I think.

I am not on any meds. I tried some prednisone and pentasa a few months ago but it didnt do anything. I dont want to go on immuran or a high dose of pred because I pick up every little infection and I am already allergic to so many antibiotics. I am allergic to a lot of stuff which could be related to the candida.

I am excited to try this new diet. I hope it helps.

I ordered some coconut oil and oil of oregano today to try and kill the yeast. I have heard that when yeast die off its similar to detoxing. I only nurse DD twice a day, should I be concerned about detoxing into my breastmilk?

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#5 of 6 Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 PM

Look into oil of oregano and nursing before you do it - I seem to remember some contraindications. But if you're only nursing twice a day, it might be OK. Just look into it first, though.

Have you posted on the allergies forum here? Those ladies know a lot, a lot about gut health and healing.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#6 of 6 Old 09-14-2011, 02:47 PM

Hi Lydiah~ I have had Crohn's disease for 30yrs.  I have been on so many different medications and the only thing that would put me into remission was Prednisone.  My GI said after the last flare if I came out of remission within 3mo.s  he would insist I did Biologics.  I did not want to go that route so I did a lot of research...which I had done in the past...but this time I came across LDN~low dose naltrexone by accident.  You need a prescription from your doctor (I see a MD who is also a homeopath and more alternative) and have it compounded.  It has been a miracle for me and I feel "normal" again!  I take one tiny capsule at night before I go to sleep and that is it.  No side effects.  It is amazing.  You can read more about it if you google Ldn low dose naltrexone.  

Please feel free to email me with any questions.  I suffered for so long, and I wish I had known about this earlier as I missed out on a lot when my boys were really small.  Going to the playground or even for a walk gave me anxiety and it is great to have my life back!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page