My cold is over, Why can't I still smell or taste anything yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2010, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the title says it all. I feel so much better today than I have in the past week. Yesterday was the first day my nose wasn't running like a faucet. And it was first day I noticed my absent sense of taste. TMI alert: I've tried blowing my nose, really hard. Nothing comes out. There's no (ahem) blockage.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
I think the title says it all. I feel so much better today than I have in the past week. Yesterday was the first day my nose wasn't running like a faucet. And it was first day I noticed my absent sense of taste. TMI alert: I've tried blowing my nose, really hard. Nothing comes out. There's no (ahem) blockage.

Any ideas on what I can do?
Try taking some zinc supplements.

This has happened to me with the last few sinus infections I've had. And it has taken a good 2-3 weeks for my sense of taste and smell to come back (and that makes it awfully hard to cook--I overseason everything!) Somewhere I read that was due to the depletion of zinc during infection. I really try to get my nutrients from whole foods, but as I have been working on some health issues lately I have been supplementing with vitamins and I find that the zinc (when taken at the first sign of illness) not only makes my colds symptoms less severe, it also shortens the duration. And I get my taste and smell back much quicker than the 2-3 weeks it used to take.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1803 View Post
Try taking some zinc supplements.

This has happened to me with the last few sinus infections I've had. And it has taken a good 2-3 weeks for my sense of taste and smell to come back (and that makes it awfully hard to cook--I overseason everything!) Somewhere I read that was due to the depletion of zinc during infection. I really try to get my nutrients from whole foods, but as I have been working on some health issues lately I have been supplementing with vitamins and I find that the zinc (when taken at the first sign of illness) not only makes my colds symptoms less severe, it also shortens the duration. And I get my taste and smell back much quicker than the 2-3 weeks it used to take.
I'll give that a go. I've never had this issue before after a cold was gone. Willing to try anything. I can't even taste chocolate.

Thanks.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 02-19-2010, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was going to say the same as the PP.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't get to the store to get some zinc supplements yet, but today I ate an apple and tasted every bite. It was glorious.

User Tag List