trigeminal neuralgia during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone dealt with this? My sister is 30 weeks pregnant and was just diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. Apparently in her case it was brought on by pregnancy and is related to her migraines. I guess the pain is incredibly bad and they have given her some hardcore painkillers that she is taking but it would be nice, of course, to find an alternative way to treat it. Has anyone had any success treating this disease without drugs? Any advice would be much appreciated. We had never heard of this before and are feeling a bit overwhelmed. Thank you.

:yawning: SAHM in with dd : 11/08 and ds joy.gif 7/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 09:10 PM

My sister has trigeminal neuralgia and is on anti-seizure meds to control it. She did not have it while pregnant, though. Her youngest was 8 when it appeared. It's an awful condition - so sorry that your sister has to deal with it while pg. I can't imagine how bad it must be for her right now. We've not heard of anything natural to control it. My sister couldn't eat, drink or brush her teeth before she had a diagnosis and was put on the correct meds. Pain killers didn't touch it. It was so bad that she was admitted to the hospital with dehydration because trying to take a sip of water was setting off the shocks. I'll say a prayer for your sister. Hopefully hers will go away after the pregnancy.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 PM

been there, done that. I used homeopathy and tapping successfully. There is a great exercise used in autism communities that has you tap along the trigeminal nerve to decrease irritation and sort of "reset" it. That was immensely helpful. I think I first found it in one of Judith Bluestone's books and talked to a PT about it as well.

It's a very superficial suggestion, but hypericum is the homeopathic for nerve issues. It's not the one I used, but that remedy was specifically geared towards my situation. I had the most trouble with the ocular mandibular insertions. Ugh. Makes me shudder to remember it. My chiropractor was also incredibly helpful until we found the correct remedy. I highly recommend that route.

User Tag List