Labial adhesions & estrogen cream - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our ped spotted a labial adhesion on our 4 month old daughter during our recent well-child exam. She prescribed an estrogen cream to be applied to thin and separate the small adhesion.

Estrogen? Yikes! Needless to say, I have major concerns about introducing a hormone like that to my little one. I have read about side effects such as budding breasts and miniperiods.

Can anyone give some insight on this? Dangers to the estrogen cream? Are there any alternative treatments? I understand they typically resolve on their own, so we very well may do nothing, but would appreciate info anyway.

Thanks!

Babygirlsmama
#2 of 5 Old 03-01-2010, 10:05 PM

No idea on the estrogen cream, but I'd be skipping it too if the adhesion was minor and not obstructing her flow of urine. It's ok to go with your gut.

Whatever you do, make sure to keep any doctor's hands off her. I don't think it's as common as when they retract boys, but I've heard of doctors ripping them apart without telling mom that's what they were doing.
#3 of 5 Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 PM

Had it with DD2. Ped was to give us a script for cream but forgot. Anyway she said only use it if it got worse. Which in our case didn't. It fixed itself on its on.

Just make sure its not hindering your daughter peeing. If it does, then you might want to consider the cream. Chances are it will clear up on its on.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 5 Old 03-01-2010, 10:43 PM

As long as it dosnt obstruct the urine flow leave it alone. Time will heal it without the using the cream. Most of the labial adhesion go away on their own without any issues. I would be very leery of putting anything hormonal on a child.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 5 Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page