Thyroid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-05-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh! I noticed about two weeks ago that one side of my neck was swollen. I had had a cold a few weeks before, in addition to general preganancy congestion (can you say snoremonster?). I saw my PCP earlier this week and she had me go for a thyroid ultrasound to rule out any major problems. I just got the results, which were inconclusive, and the notes the nurse read to me, my doc recommended I go for a biopsy. Clearly she forgot that I'm in my third trimester when she made that suggestion. My midwife said my thyroid results were fine from my pregnancy bloodwork, but that was drawn back in December.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any thyroid problems and how they dealt with them.

Thanks!

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-05-2010, 02:24 PM

Moved to Health and Healing

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#3 of 7 Old 03-05-2010, 04:24 PM

My thyroid issue popped up initially during my first pregnancy. I actually didn't do anything because my doctor said everything was fine... but ultimately I ended up treating it.

I'm assuming she referred you to an endocrinologist? If so, I'd recommend going just to get a second opinion on your blood tests as often times what labs consider normal are much wider numbers than what is optimum.

Good resource for information is Mary Shomon's website onabout.com.
Her info on goiters is http://thyroid.about.com/cs/nodulesg.../a/nodules.htm

but you can also find info on blood tests and results. I'd urge knowing what your numbers are and how they compare with the suggested lab values. Statistics is in your favor that this is nothing, but definitely something you'd wnt to follow up on.
#4 of 7 Old 03-05-2010, 04:32 PM

How's your BP?

I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism during pregnancy and it caused PE-like symtoms (edema in hands and face, raised BP but NO protein spilling and bloods came back fine). It was finally dx when DD was 6 months old, but by then i'd already lost my milk.

This pregnancy i have my thyroid bloods (TFT's and TSH) done every 4 weeks. If you have a goiter i would recommend that course of action, with treatment as and when needed. I urge you to continue to have it monitored after the birth if you plan on BFing, as it can really destroy your supply, doesn't always, but can.

Ask to see an endocrinologist.
#5 of 7 Old 03-05-2010, 04:35 PM

A biospy should be totally safe while pg I would think since all that is involved is removing samples with a needle from the thyroid. Though uncomfortable it wasnt painful but it did almost make me pass out because of the funky sensation.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 7 Old 03-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco_Hikes View Post
Ugh! I noticed about two weeks ago that one side of my neck was swollen. I had had a cold a few weeks before, in addition to general preganancy congestion (can you say snoremonster?). I saw my PCP earlier this week and she had me go for a thyroid ultrasound to rule out any major problems. I just got the results, which were inconclusive, and the notes the nurse read to me, my doc recommended I go for a biopsy. Clearly she forgot that I'm in my third trimester when she made that suggestion. My midwife said my thyroid results were fine from my pregnancy bloodwork, but that was drawn back in December.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any thyroid problems and how they dealt with them.

Thanks!
I'm be curious to know your test results. What was your TSH, T4, T3 and did they test for thyroid antibodies?? 4 months PP my thyroid swelled and I was diagnosed with hashis. Are you going to get a full thyroid panel test again?? I would maybe your numbers have changed since Dec? Also check the thyroid thread
#7 of 7 Old 03-05-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to MamaMonica for moving this thread to a better spot.

And many thanks to all of you who have replied. I really appreciate it! I now have a better sense of what to ask, and to whom. I definitely do not want whatever this is to turn into a breastfeeding problem, let alone health problems for me. Ugh.

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page