Study finds why vitamin D is crucial - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35762978...and_nutrition/

Quote:
Vitamin D is vital in activating human defenses and low levels suffered by around half the world's population may mean their immune systems' killer T cells are poor at fighting infection, scientists said.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 PM

I did a blood test which confirmed my vitamin D was low, so I am taking 400 units a day now. My doctor said nearly everyone she is testing is low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
#3 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

My levels are extremely low. I was tested in December and came in at 16.

Another thing I have noticed is I am sick alot this winter. I read something recently in a magazine that said low levels of Vitamin D and respiratory illness are linked.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Interesting article.

The general rule of thumb is that you need 1000 IU per 25 pounds to maintain current vitamin D levels. So to correct a deficiency you need much more. You also want to make sure you're using a D3 form to supplement. I took 9,000 IU per day and corrected a deficiency very quickly. The other issue is that anything below 50 is suboptimal and below 40 deficient. A number of doctors still call 20's normal which is sad for the people who are likely symptomatic at that level.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post
I did a blood test which confirmed my vitamin D was low, so I am taking 400 units a day now. My doctor said nearly everyone she is testing is low.
I hope you meant 4,000 iu a day. 400 iu will not raise your vitamin d levels to therapuetic if you are already deficient!!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Q - once you take the 9000/day and 'correct' deficiency levels, do you take less, or have to maintain that amount per day? Does the body store Vit D?
#7 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was surprised that this was even considered "news" when I saw it this morning on CBS. I've been hearing about it for 2 years here. Of course Katie Couric had the "amazing" news a couple weeks ago that there were antibiotics and hormones in the meat supply. My DS was deficient and was on 3000iu/day for 2 months, then down to 2000iu/day. I'm on 5000iu/day. The rest of the family is on 1000iu/day. And we only use sunscreen in the summertime if we're going to be out all day on the water. There was a big article somewhere at the beginning of all the swine flu stuff about increasing Vitamin D to ward it off... maybe the Danish study was just confirming it?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#8 of 9 Old 03-09-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post
you might want to research taking a much higher dose, 400iu is the minimum of doseing. i weigh about 140 and take 5000iu in the winter, living in a very grey, northern climate.
#9 of 9 Old 03-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Interesting article.

The general rule of thumb is that you need 1000 IU per 25 pounds to maintain current vitamin D levels. So to correct a deficiency you need much more. You also want to make sure you're using a D3 form to supplement. I took 9,000 IU per day and corrected a deficiency very quickly. The other issue is that anything below 50 is suboptimal and below 40 deficient. A number of doctors still call 20's normal which is sad for the people who are likely symptomatic at that level.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page