dead worms in infant stool? very tmi - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-09-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my mostly breastfed baby, I just saw 2 very wormlike (but dead) looking strands in his poop. We don't have pets. He has lots of allergies & parasite symptoms, though I don't know where he would have picked up the worms. Thoughts?
#2 of 10 Old 03-09-2010, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Keep the diaper and call the pediatrician. Things like pinworms are very common, especially among the preschool set - he could have gotten it from visiting children, or from pretty much anyone whose hands he had in his mouth. Or who touched his hands which he then put in his mouth.

Sometimes it's useful to chase down the possible vectors for infection and sometimes there are just too many possibilities.
#3 of 10 Old 03-09-2010, 03:45 PM

Has he had any banana lately? Banana always looks like little worms in baby poop.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#4 of 10 Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It could also be strings of mucous. I second the idea of bringing the poop to the doctor.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 10 Old 03-09-2010, 05:35 PM

def. save the diaper and bring it in to the doctor.

Pinworms would also be my first guess if it actually WAS worms (which it probably isn't - but check it out, just in case), but pinworms (I think) are tiny little white worms - not long like you describe. The long ones would be more like roundworms or something - things that I dont' think are very likely for an infant to get.
#6 of 10 Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I've seen pinworms, and these were the same size but brown instead of white (there were 2). He hasn't had bananas yet. I'll save the diaper.

He does have 2 older brothers so I suppose they could have shared worms with him unintentionally.
#7 of 10 Old 04-17-2010, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
my sister would bring home pin worms, practically monthly from pre-school. it wasnt fun!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#8 of 10 Old 04-25-2010, 03:30 AM

I read tonight the eggs laid can be small enough to be airbourne so who knows..... My daughter has been complaining for nearly 2 months, urine culture and dr's visits and finally tonight at midnight she was up wanting a shower to relieve her pain I laid her out on the counter and it looked like a thread in her vagina I touched it and it moved inside I was freaking out to get it off of her. Now to look for how to treat it. I found something called Reese's pinworm medicine but surely it isn't natural because the active ingredient pyrantel pamoate that is in it from what I read it is used to treat sheep, cattle, horses and pigs when I googled it. So any ideas on treating naturally keep me posted and good luck with taking the diaper in to the health care practitioner's office and let us know how all goes. I called my kiddo's health care practitionerr at midnight tonight! LOL
#9 of 10 Old 04-25-2010, 03:40 AM

FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH

I have started to use this on myself and my 11 year old who had pin worms.
#10 of 10 Old 04-25-2010, 05:06 AM

I found this site very helpful in ideas htp://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/kidszone.asp?article_ID=1444 thought maybe I would pass it along. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page