How to boost my toddlers immune system - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

My 2 year old son gets sick...a lot. He is at daycare during the week and I know that kids catch everything possible at daycare, but he definitely gets sick far more often than his fellow toddlers. It seems he is never without a cold for more than a week and then he has caught another cold, a cough, or even comes down with an ear or sinus infection.

I breastfed him for one full year (after a year old he went on a nursing strike and I was unable to maintain my milk supply by pumping). I have a strong immune system and I feel disappointed that it wasnt passed on to him. I had so many problems with breastfeeding and had to work so very hard at it...

We eat fairly heathy - no high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils etc. I cant get him to eat any green veggies, but he eats fruits and a decent variety of foods.

I am considering incorporating a multi-vitamin? I also give him probiotics, but think I should make that a regular thing instead of now and again.

Any other suggestions?

Much thanks mommies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 AM

Some of this is likely his immune system just getting exposure coupled with kids of this age put their hands and other things in their mouths so much.

Healthy vitamin D levels are proven to boost the immune system including resistance to viruses. Kids over one can take up to 2000 IU of D3 per day. Ideally you figure out his level and dose based on that. But if you can't do that he very likely needs a supplement. Almost all of us do.

Probiotics (high quality every day) will help. Florastor is proven to raise immune system in the gut and that is the seat of our overall immunity.

Zinc can help with immune system and vitamin C or C rich foods would be good too. I like minerals needed supplemented directly if that's possible.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 03-13-2010, 04:49 PM

we use elderberry syrup.

10/16/09 8/20/08
Old 03-14-2010, 05:19 PM

I second Vit D and probiotic. What about fermented cod liver oil(not necessarily an immune booster I guess but good for overall heath), echinacea is a great immune booster at fist sign of illness. Allergies/intolerances can also cause frequent illness.

I know you said you avoid things like high fructose corn syrup but do you avoid refined sugar in general and other processed foods? Sugar really supresses the immune system. I think that's the biggest thing
Old 03-14-2010, 05:35 PM

Will he drink smoothies? Do you think he would drink a smoothie if you put some greens in it?

I would also give him Vit D and probiotics

He is getting enough sleep? Do you think he might have allergies?

Not all those who wander are lost 

User Tag List