Rash Photos :( - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 04-16-2010, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so gald you guys got the sorted out! I hope your baby is feeling better soon and goes back to enjoying being a kid and forgets this ever happened!
I would agree with the probiotics after antibiotics...they really seem to help so much!
WuWei...I think I will print up alot of that information and stick it into my self healing binder! I am trying to compile a bunch of information to have on hand when things go down hill! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 90 Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 PM

I'm so glad this was figured out and, hopefully, he'll be better soon.
Staph is everywhere so it getting that out of hand would make me want to test the immune system. Perhaps he just got unlucky and staph overwhelmed it. But I'd want to know for sure. Did they do that or talk about it?

I would do probiotics 3 hours after each antibotic dose and half way between as well. Klaire labs sells an allergen free s. boulardi and I'd do that too. Florastor is the most common form of that probiotic/it contains lactose/if dairy isn't an issue I'd use it.

Antibiotics can't kill it. And it has been shown to raise the immune system. We're doing epicore too to increase the immune system in my son.

I believe you're doing the right thing attacking this with antibiotics (not that my opinion should matter to you).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#63 of 90 Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
I believe you're doing the right thing attacking this with antibiotics (not that my opinion should matter to you).
Yes. Its a scary rash, abx is the way to go.

Do you have a plan to sterilize his clothing and sheets to prevent reinfection? Did they suggest that at Mayo?
#64 of 90 Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
I'm so glad this was figured out and, hopefully, he'll be better soon.
Staph is everywhere so it getting that out of hand would make me want to test the immune system. Perhaps he just got unlucky and staph overwhelmed it. But I'd want to know for sure. Did they do that or talk about it?

I would do probiotics 3 hours after each antibotic dose and half way between as well. Klaire labs sells an allergen free s. boulardi and I'd do that too. Florastor is the most common form of that probiotic/it contains lactose/if dairy isn't an issue I'd use it.

Antibiotics can't kill it. And it has been shown to raise the immune system. We're doing epicore too to increase the immune system in my son.

The immune system has been tested and he registered elevated levels in more than a dozen tests. However, he has had eczema since he was 2 months old and any opening on the skin can create an area for staph to invade. The elevated immune tests COULD be caused BY the staph infection. We believe vaccines and no colostrum or breastmilk in the early days are the cause of his immune deficiencies...which will take much time and effort to repair.

I will do the probiotics 3 hours after antibiotics, thank you for the tip! I will try cultured veggies with him again too.
#65 of 90 Old 04-16-2010, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
Yes. Its a scary rash, abx is the way to go.

Do you have a plan to sterilize his clothing and sheets to prevent reinfection? Did they suggest that at Mayo?
Hmmmm...no. I wonder if the dryer will kill it?
#66 of 90 Old 04-16-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Sure, share, please. Staph is everywhere, it develops due to a compromised immune system. Antibiotics don't heal the body they attack the perceived "cause" of the manifestation of "disease". Disease is the body's attempt to balance and heal itself, in my belief system. I fully trust you to know what is best for your family.

You are doing everything in your power for your child. I trust that too.

Pat
Staph could have easily entered through his open eczema sores as we were trying to heal naturally.

xoxo
#67 of 90 Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 PM

I have seen staph treated successfully with homeopathy, in myself. Nasty case, but I wasn't that young, and it wasn't that extensive. I think if this were my kiddo I'd treat right now with abx and then seek out homeopathic help later. Wishing you guys the best.
#68 of 90 Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Disease is the body's attempt to balance and heal itself, in my belief system.
mine too. however the sticky point for me is that if the person hasn't found the right combination of things to heal that underlying imbalance I wouldn't delay treatment in the hopes that they will. It's so hard when things are so scary to think about going from practitioner to practitioner, spending money and time you don't have for a cure that may or may not happen. ESPECIALLY if you don't have any referrals and people you trust.

I would personally treat as necessary when it get's to the scary place (trouble breathing along with undiagnosed staph qualifies for me!) I would understand that all that was was a band aid to remove danger and look, in the future (when the stakes weren't so high) to address that. I would tell you that you could personally do both concurrently, but that's because I'm sold on the efficacy of homeopathy.

For someone who has had their faith shaken it's probably best to get through the crisis, keep the kiddo safe, and take a breath.
#69 of 90 Old 04-18-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This could be cradle cap, which again is fungal. Or alopecia. Or shingles or allergies or staph or "atopic dermatitis" - a catch all term of 'unknown origin'.
B I N G O

Pat, you are amazing, thank you! With all of the information I was given, I completely missed the staph part...and yes, it is atopic dermatitis (eczema).
#70 of 90 Old 04-18-2010, 02:20 PM

I just saw this posted and thought of the "medical diagnosis" holy grail.

The identification of a disease process with its spatial localization in a tissue lesion or serum abnormality is the hallmark of anatomo-pathological medicine. This collapse of the subject at the moment of diagnosis into an object of the clinical gaze is not unlike the microphysicist collapsing the wave function in the act of observation, or the calcifying gaze of the Gorgon.

Too often, I've seen Medical Myopia of the parts, without regard for the whole. It paralyzes the search for an underlying cause, not informs, in my experience.

Pat

I have a blog.
#71 of 90 Old 04-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole_marie View Post
...and yes, it is atopic dermatitis (eczema).
Did they do a culture and sensitivity BEFORE prescribing an antibiotic? A broad spectrum antibiotic kills off beneficial microbials, which you don't want to do wantonly, of course. The microbial balance IS his immune health. Without a certain culture and sensitivity that a specific antibiotic is *appropriate and indicated and effective* there is danger in just one round of antibiotics damaging the gut further.

40% of all antibiotics lead to "antibiotic associated diarrhea". A second or third round of ineffective (and inappropriately prescribed, ie, without a C&S) antibiotics often leads to C. Difficile developing and all that entails.

Pat

I have a blog.
#72 of 90 Old 04-18-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did they do a culture and sensitivity BEFORE prescribing an antibiotic? A broad spectrum antibiotic kills off beneficial microbials, which you don't want to do wantonly, of course. The microbial balance IS his immune health. Without a certain culture and sensitivity that a specific antibiotic is *appropriate and indicated and effective* there is danger in just one round of antibiotics damaging the gut further.

40% of all antibiotics lead to "antibiotic associated diarrhea". A second or third round of ineffective (and inappropriately prescribed, ie, without a C&S) antibiotics often leads to C. Difficile developing and all that entails.

Pat
Yes, they cultured BEFORE antibiotics and his lesions were positive for Staphylococcus aureus. I actually think he was more severely infected with it than they thought...because he had two lumps on the back of his head, toward the base of his skull that have shrunk significantly in the last 24 hours. He woke up with a major cold this morning (we all have it...it's not a fun one)...yet he has no breathing trouble like he has had with his last two colds that ended up having him on albuterol. I think his gut issues were actually his bodies inability to absorb nutrients DUE to the massive infection that his body is busy trying to fight. We saw him get significanlty worse after his last try at the elimination diet, which is why my instincts told me to seek help. If we weren't blending and juicing for him, I'm not sure things would have turned out with a happy ending. Antibiotics are not perfect, but in an emergency situation, can save lives and I believe they have in this situation. For the first time in the 12 months that he has been a part of our family, we are seeing a glimpse of his personality. It's pretty amazing. I'm looking to seek out the nations top homeopathic/naturopathic eczema expert with a proven track record and measurable success rate for a consult and ongoing care for my son. If you have any recommendations, I would be happy to look into them.

xo
#73 of 90 Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Culture AND Sensitivity means that they grow the culture and observe WHICH antibiotic/s the microbials are susceptible to. This is the only reliable way to prescribe an appropriate antibiotic.

There are many *types* of staph. They require different antibiotics to suppress them. One antibiotic is not as good as another antibiotic, depending upon how *sensitive* or "susceptible" it is to that particular antibiotic.

Administering an antibiotic to which the staph is not sensitive LEADS to antibiotic-resistant bacterial overgrowth.

I would call and confirm that a Culture AND Sensitivity were done and the antibiotic prescription was based on that, not just written an Rx for a broad spectrum antibiotic (which is as good as a guess). (The C&S takes 48-72 hours minimum to observe the sensitivity. If you were given an Rx the same day as the culture, it was a guess.)

Staph is an opportunistic secondary infection, it isn't a cause of underlying disease. I don't believe that eczema is a primary issue. Skin is a detox pathway for toxin overload (the body attempting to balance itself and heal from the toxins and the chemical byproducts of food). Toxin overload results from ineffective detoxification which develops due to nutrient deficiencies, which are often due to dairy intolerance leading to inflamatory gut issues (and thus an inability to absorb nutrients effectively).

It ain't the eczema that is the disease.

Pat

I have a blog.
#74 of 90 Old 04-18-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Culture AND Sensitivity means that they grow the culture and observe WHICH antibiotic/s the microbials are susceptible to. This is the only reliable way to prescribe an appropriate antibiotic.

Pat
I will call to confirm. We saw dermatology on Tuesday morning at 7:45, found out the culture was positive on Wednesday morning and received a call for the prescription late on Thursday afternoon.
#75 of 90 Old 04-18-2010, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
no time to read the whole thread, sorry if this was already touched on, but someone posted about mercury reactions and i noticed the OP using epson salts for soaking. i read on here a few yrs ago that some epsom salts contain mercury HTH

Bring back the old MDC
#76 of 90 Old 04-18-2010, 04:33 PM

what about dermatitis herpetiformis? the skin eruption of celiac.

hh2.gif

#77 of 90 Old 04-18-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
no time to read the whole thread, sorry if this was already touched on, but someone posted about mercury reactions and i noticed the OP using epson salts for soaking. i read on here a few yrs ago that some epsom salts contain mercury HTH
Commercial Epsom salts are made in a laboratory. I don't believe they have mercury. http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/about_faq.htm

Please provide a reliable source of this information. I've searched ncbi, pubmed and medline. Magnesium sulfate helps to detoxify mercury out of the body, perhaps that is the confusion related to mercury?

Pat

I have a blog.
#78 of 90 Old 04-18-2010, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
It's atopic dermatitis (eczema), infected with Staphylococcus aureus. He has never had gluten...EVER (unless it was in his early formulas, but I don't think so).
#79 of 90 Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Also, he had a stool study and an extensive GI workup, including markers for celiac, a GI scope and biopsies.
#80 of 90 Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 AM

Just wanted to send you some hugs and commend you for working so hard to help your son get well. I cannot imagine spending an entire year (and his first year, at that!) worried about this. I think you are doing what is right, as a PP said, to get out of this scary/crisis stage. On-going healing and wellness can continue simultaneously and ongoing. Thinking of you and your little guy, and glad to hear that over the last 24 hrs.+ you have already seen that he is experiencing some relief.
#81 of 90 Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcintexas View Post
Just wanted to send you some hugs and commend you for working so hard to help your son get well. I cannot imagine spending an entire year (and his first year, at that!) worried about this.
Thank you. *tears* I'm certainly experiencing some grief over the loss of a typical first year, especially since we adopted him at 3 months old and attachment was very seriously compromised...the foundation of our relationship as mom/baby needs a lot of work. Things could be much worse, so I am trying to focus on the positive...while doing some much needed grieving in my down time. You should see this kiddo...he has a permanent smile on his face...he is SO CUTE and happy. He's always been happy CONSIDERING his situation...now he's just in a state of pure bliss. I don't think I have heard him wimper or fuss in the last 2 days. xo
#82 of 90 Old 04-19-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Pat
I just receive a callback regarding the sensitivity test...and it was done. The results showed that it was sensitive to a lot of antibiotics, which is why he is on cephalexin. GI encouraged us to use probiotics and recommended flora-stor. She also said that his upper GI was good with the exception of the presence of mild esophagus irritation (reflux). Not a huge surprise since we suspect he had SEVERE reflux...and he is likely still on the mend.
#83 of 90 Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I just receive a callback regarding the sensitivity test...and it was done. The results showed that it was sensitive to a lot of antibiotics, which is why he is on cephalexin. GI encouraged us to use probiotics and recommended flora-stor. She also said that his upper GI was good with the exception of the presence of mild esophagus irritation (reflux). Not a huge surprise since we suspect he had SEVERE reflux...and he is likely still on the mend.
Terrific. I feel much better.

Do not let them prescribe antacids! Adequate stomach acid is the first step in eliminating pathogenic bacteria in the gut, and digesting food proteins and increasing the bio-availability of nutrients.

Inadequately digested grains are a common cause of reflux.

Pat

I have a blog.
#84 of 90 Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Terrific. I feel much better.

Do not let them prescribe antacids! Adequate stomach acid is the first step in eliminating pathogenic bacteria in the gut, and digesting food proteins and increasing the bio-availability of nutrients.

Inadequately digested grains are a common cause of reflux.

Pat
I feel better too. Given the typical problems with western medicine, I was very happy with our care @ Mayo. They understood my concerns and are receptive to alternative therapy. Allergy even acknowledged delayed allergic reactions and food sensitivities....however, he does not agree with IgG testing and noted that monitoring symptoms over a period of time was a more accurate test.

About the reflux, he's never had grains...should we just keep doing the probiotic, cultured veggies, water kefir thing? She said she would only give him something if he was showing signs of pain/distress and he is not. We may have already healed it too...it could just be that it was so severe, that pathology found the damage that is already on the mend. She did not see any signs when she was doing the scope.
#85 of 90 Old 04-26-2010, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
oh my gosh mama!! i cant believe i didnt see this thread sooner, but it looks just like what my ds had on his cheek. it was so so scary. and his progressed very quickly. we treated with TCM/herbs (it was my last resort, as i was going to fill the abx that night if i didnt see a change right away)

anyway from what i read i just saw many people that took the abx but then the staph would show up again. i just wanted to send tons of hugs and get well wishes. i know it was the worst 3 weeks of my life, i was so scared i could hardly eat or sleep. i took pictures of his spots pretty much every day and i cant believe how similar it looks (b/c when i was searching online none of the pics ever looked like his spots). you sound like an awesome mama

mama to one '07 and one '09
#86 of 90 Old 04-26-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookatreestar View Post
oh my gosh mama!! i cant believe i didnt see this thread sooner, but it looks just like what my ds had on his cheek. it was so so scary. and his progressed very quickly. we treated with TCM/herbs (it was my last resort, as i was going to fill the abx that night if i didnt see a change right away)

anyway from what i read i just saw many people that took the abx but then the staph would show up again. i just wanted to send tons of hugs and get well wishes. i know it was the worst 3 weeks of my life, i was so scared i could hardly eat or sleep. i took pictures of his spots pretty much every day and i cant believe how similar it looks (b/c when i was searching online none of the pics ever looked like his spots). you sound like an awesome mama
Thank you for chiming in. We are healing naturally in conjunction with the antibiotics. We were in a dangerous place. We understand (now) how serious it must have been now that we are able to witness a child that we have never seen before. It has been a pretty emotional experience, knowing that my child has been unnecessarily robbed of a typical first year. I'm not sure how deep his staph infection is/was. We have a follow-up appointment on Friday that we are very much looking forward to.

Did you have access to a TCM practitioner locally? I'm curious how you found someone to help your child, especially on such short notice. For example, I had mastitis once and made a call to my naturopath at the time...and she didn't call me back until the next day. If you have ever had mastitis, you know how quickly you feel like, well, dead. I ended up going to the ER for antibiotics...it was my only option in that emergency situation. I have also learned that 'message group' homeopathy is not always the best idea, especially for more serious, complicated cases.
#87 of 90 Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Thank you for chiming in. We are healing naturally in conjunction with the antibiotics. We were in a dangerous place. We understand (now) how serious it must have been now that we are able to witness a child that we have never seen before. It has been a pretty emotional experience, knowing that my child has been unnecessarily robbed of a typical first year. I'm not sure how deep his staph infection is/was. We have a follow-up appointment on Friday that we are very much looking forward to.

Did you have access to a TCM practitioner locally? I'm curious how you found someone to help your child, especially on such short notice. For example, I had mastitis once and made a call to my naturopath at the time...and she didn't call me back until the next day. If you have ever had mastitis, you know how quickly you feel like, well, dead. I ended up going to the ER for antibiotics...it was my only option in that emergency situation. I have also learned that 'message group' homeopathy is not always the best idea, especially for more serious, complicated cases.
i found her on here actually! mdc we tried urgent car, regular doc, naturopath doc and the herbalist/tcm. she was awesome, i just found the rec on here, found her site called her up right then. she helped me right then on the phone and was able to get us in the next day. the scary part was how fast it started spreading. normally babies heal so fast and nothing i was trying was even touching it. even the first stuff she gave us didn't do anything and she has us back in her office the next day. def a learning experience but i couldnt believe none of the other docs wanted to swab it or anything. it even started to travel to the back of his head/behind his ears and down on his chest. do you have any recent pics? you can still see where my ds's spots were

#88 of 90 Old 05-14-2010, 12:18 AM

oh i forgot to add, when we realized that the first stuff she gave us wasn't working she said we were more than welcome to do the atbx in conjunction with tcm. never made me feel bad at all for whatever route we chose. i figured if i didnt see improvement in the first day with the stronger tcm then i would do both. luckily overnight the spots improved so we stuck with it and we avoided the atbx but had things gotten any worse even in the slightest i would have given them.

#89 of 90 Old 11-13-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping this thread for an update.  After a single round of antibiotics, my sons eczema and staph has stayed away for 7 months!  No white bowels (liver not producing bile).  Not a single incidence of "asthma".  No more night sweats and frequent low grade fevers.  No more hair loss or cradle cap.  No more weight loss, in fact nice and steady weight gain...back onto his normal growth curve.  No more facial edema.  No more "fog" in his eyes.  No more "colic".  No "food allergies" except for egg whites.  No "reflux".

He has a small amount of dry skin that flares up in very dry weather, but nothing, *NOTHING* like eczema that is severely infected with staph.

I gave my son probiotics and fed him a diet of anti-inflammatory foods to combat side effects from the antibiotics.  Three days into the antibiotics and we saw the fog lift from his eyes.  It was like we met him for the first time again.  The loss of bonding/attachment during his yearlong episode of pain was not worth the avoidance of antibiotics.  We are still working on repairing attachment, which is a long, exhausting process.  I would do anything to have that year back.

I remember being told on mothering that my "battle was far from over" and that antibiotics were unlikely to be a solution, so I kept quiet for a while.  I am happy to report that I have a very healthy, happy go lucky child that hasn't needed to visit the doctor since our 2 week follow up at Mayo Clinic.  

banana.gif

#90 of 90 Old 11-13-2010, 06:57 PM

how wonderful!  thank you so much for the update and I'm thrilled for you both.  It's wonderful that you have your little guy back.  I'm so happy that you found something that worked.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page