Supplementing Vitamin D in Newborns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 6-weeks-old infant. In Germany, where I am originally from you supplement the babies with Vitamin D. I do live in CA but haven't been so much out yet and won't expose her to direct sunlight anyway; and I am wondering if I should supplement her. I would prefer to take some of the Vitamin myself because I am breastfeeding. Has anyone done that? Do you have a brand recommendation or doses recommendation? Our ped most likely will recommend something at the 2-months-visit but it will probably be the Enfamil brand or even supplementing via formula which I don't want to do.
Thanks for your input!

Mom to Olivia Marlene, raising bilingual: German & English 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM

First a question - why would you not want your newborn in direct sunlight? The sun is the best source of vitamin D. When my baby was born in May last year, I specifically brought DD out into the sun for 10 minutes each day. When using the sun for vitamin D you do not have to worry about overdosing on D.

When supplementing with Vit D, make sure it is D3 and not D2. I was not comfortable supplementing my newborn with the drops because I did not want her to overdose. Once she turned six months old and it was November, I added 1 400UI drop / day.

I get my vitamin D levels checked every 3 months. I take 5,000 UI / day and my blood levels are usually in the bottom range of normal. I am pretty sure my breastmilk does not have enough for DD, which is why I use the drop.

You can get baby vitamin D drops at a natural food store, vitamin store or Wholefoods.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM

I read an article that had tested Vitamin D levels in breastmilk and said that if the mother takes 6500 iu's of Vitamin D then the breastmilk contains enough to give the baby 400 iu's of Vitamin D and that is the acceptable range for a baby.
So, that's what I do.

Found the article!
http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/VitDGen...level%2007.pdf

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllynn View Post
First a question - why would you not want your newborn in direct sunlight? The sun is the best source of vitamin D. When my baby was born in May last year, I specifically brought DD out into the sun for 10 minutes each day. When using the sun for vitamin D you do not have to worry about overdosing on D.

Exactly. Also it helps them get their night & days figured out if you take them out after waking in the morning. natural D is always better than a suppliment.

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

Old 03-18-2010, 01:27 AM

Sunlight is great for newborns, as long as they don't burn. Get her in the sun for short periods -- if you expose as much skin as possible, she'll be making a good amount of vitamin D without having to be out long enough to burn.

Take advantage of being in California and get some sunshine! Sunbaths for babies used to be a regular recommendation from doctors.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

User Tag List