cold? ear infection? infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2002, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering.. short of a Dr's visit, is there any way to tell if my daughter has an ear infection? She's 10 months, stuffy, yucky hacking cough (wet) and now is holding her right ear a bit. Slight fever (101) and general yucky feeling. Isn't sleeping much to boot. This all came on overnight, what can I watch for to know if it merits a Dr's visit? (I dread the Dr....) What can I do to aid the healing process to make her more comfy (I'm new to the sick thing...)

Aly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2002, 01:31 AM

Hi Aly,
I did a search hoping to post a link to some info. When I used the words "ear infections" in the Health and Healimg Forum I came up with 57 theards about it. Too many to post links to!!
Try doing the search though, you'll find lots of info

!
peggy
Old 05-03-2002, 11:18 AM

If it all came on overnight, then it's probably fluid in the ear associated with a viral cold. A real ear infection doesn't usually happen until the end of the cold, if it happens at all. Ear discomfort during a cold or flu is not uncommon.

You could talk to your doctor about using a decongestant at night to help relieve some of the pressure on her eardrum while she is congested from the cold. I do this for my son, but we didn't start until he was after 18 months. I don't know at what age you can start using a decongestant.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

wowsers... I gave in and gave her some dimetap. Won't be doing that again, it made her twice as bad and jittery
I started taking some garlic pills, and I gave her a peppermint bath. it seems to be helping.
I think you're right... probably just ear discomfort. poor baby!
She also got diarhea now, but her general mood seems better .I hope she is recovering!

Aly
Old 05-03-2002, 02:27 PM

Give that child some warm olive oil in the ears, It is such a soother! YOu could also buy some garlic/mullein oil made for ear drops at you local health store. Mullein soothes swelling while garlic kills any bacteria that might be pooling in the eardrum area.

Also, massage around her ears to help encourage flowage down the eustachian tube

GOOD LUCK

CECE
Old 05-03-2002, 08:14 PM

When I give a decongestant, I only give him the generic version of children's sudafed, only the decongestant, nothing for coughs or fever. One drug at a time is enough. I've never tried Dimetapp brand.

User Tag List