4 yo dd keeps getting sick! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-21-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD has been sick with some virus or another 6 times in as many weeks. She keeps getting one thing after another and all of them hit her hard. Her brother has picked up 2 of her bugs, I've picked up one, and dh just gave her the current ick she has. In the past she has only gotten sick an average of once or twice a year. I don't know what is causing her to come down with all of this. We haven't made any major diet changes, activity changes, or scenery changes. No daycare, no playgroups, no indoor playgrounds or jungle gyms. Just home, running errands, and the park a few times in the last couple weeks since the weather has been better.

It began with a head cold, just when she was on the tail end of that another started, after that she jumped right into stomach flu with vomiting for 24 hours, then just when that was ending high fevers followed by more nasal issues, then an ear infection (she nor her brother have EVER had an ear infection prior), more stomach troubles, impacted colon, and now another virus that has come with really high fevers and a sore throat.

Prior to this most recent illness that began 2 days ago she was checked for strep, kidney infection, apendix trouble (back when she had the severe stomach pain), and all were neg or normal. She is vaxed (for everything routine except CP) but, has not had any recent vax.

Is this just a case of bad timing when she comes into contact with something while her immune system is down from something else? This is so unusual for her and causing her a lot of stress. I have a pretty terrible immune system and I'm not even picking up half of this stuff from her... which is odd. Whats the deal??

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#2 of 8 Old 03-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Iam feeling the same way right now. it feels like dd has been sick constantly since sept. she does attend preschool and dance but wow it seems to never end. right now she is experiencing her first ear infection brought on by a nasty cold.

I wish i could offer a solution for you, all i can do is say you are not alone.

mum2row DD 3yrs & DS Oct/09
#3 of 8 Old 03-21-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2row View Post
Iam feeling the same way right now. it feels like dd has been sick constantly since sept. she does attend preschool and dance but wow it seems to never end. right now she is experiencing her first ear infection brought on by a nasty cold.

I wish i could offer a solution for you, all i can do is say you are not alone.
sorry your kiddo has been sick too

#4 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 AM

Is she taking a Vit. d supplement? I have a child who seems to be chronically ill with small infections, and her endo really pushed the vit. d. she said it would be very unusual for her to get too much at this point. I also became a firm believer in hand washing - we used to be really lax about it, but when my daughter had heart surgery at 7 6 days old, we became very militant. That winter we were al incredibly healthy.
#5 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
Is she taking a Vit. d supplement? I have a child who seems to be chronically ill with small infections, and her endo really pushed the vit. d. she said it would be very unusual for her to get too much at this point. I also became a firm believer in hand washing - we used to be really lax about it, but when my daughter had heart surgery at 7 6 days old, we became very militant. That winter we were al incredibly healthy.
I've been taking vit D but dd has not been. I suppose I could give her a half dose of mine...? It's only 400 IU, maybe a whole would be fine.

Since the 3rd time she got sick I really amped up the hand washing. We're good about it at home when nessesary but weren't so great in town where it counts. Now I have her wipe down her hands in the car after we leave each store. At least until better weather hits and there isn't so much ick around.

#6 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Even though it doesn't seem like anything's acutely changed, I'd think about fairly typical stuff. A probiotic supp (or foods), vit D (I give the kids 2000 IU per day, the vitamin D council website has recommendations on dosages), maybe zinc, it's easy to be low on zinc.

A good multivit wouldn't hurt, if you don't have one already.
#7 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Even though it doesn't seem like anything's acutely changed, I'd think about fairly typical stuff. A probiotic supp (or foods), vit D (I give the kids 2000 IU per day, the vitamin D council website has recommendations on dosages), maybe zinc, it's easy to be low on zinc.

A good multivit wouldn't hurt, if you don't have one already.
she is taking a multi, yes. I've been thinking about upping my own vit D. The 400IU I take a day has done ZILCH for improving my attitude! Seems like quite a few people take rather large doses... perhaps I'm behind. My levels were low when last checked so I don't suppose it's all that unlikely that dd's levels are low too.

#8 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i take about 8,000 iu per day of vit. d. my levels were 39 before i supp. now 69, so i believe it really does help.

even though there aren't major changes in your lifestyle-are there other stresses? emotional stresses such as making new friends? parents fighting? i really believe stresses like this play a huge role in our immune system.

does she have lots of sugar or even lots of fruit/juices? while her immune system is weak, these could cause her to be weaker.

i would supp. with probiotics, vit. d and c and really limit sugar and possibly dairy until she seems to be getting better, and add more greens and alkalizing foods.

what about a chiropractor? might help boost her a bit. i hope she tackles these bugs and feels better soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page