HELP could the chiro have hurt my baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
on friday i took my 8 mo dd to my chiropractor b/c she wasn't feeling well. he gave her a little adjustment (C1 and sacrum) and immediately afterwards she was a new person — the improvement was remarkable. that night she slept better than she has in months, and the next day she started cruising. her sleep was pretty crappy again saturday and sunday nights and she was still a little clingier than usual, but she definitely seemed on the mend.

today we had a follow-up and she was out again. so he gave her another adjustment— it appeared something went wrong when he adjusted her neck, with the drop board. he had to do it twice, and the second time she just started wailing. that didn't happen the first visit. she stopped crying, he checked her, said she was aligned and we left. she's been a total wreck since. she just keeps wailing. she's never like this — we lay down to nurse and she just cries. she drifts off to sleep for a few minutes and then sobs. i have her in the wrap now and she's dozing but every few minutes she whimpers and thrashes and cries. she's so restless. i don't know what to do. this is such a stark contrast to how she was after the last visit. earlier today she was fine. i'm wondering if the adjustment hurt her. but i can't imagine he would let us walk out of there if something wasn't right.

i'm at a loss.
#2 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 PM

I would take her back in tomorrow. Our chiro always asks me before I leave if it feels right, and there are times it doesn't. Of course they can't ask a babe, but I'd say your LO is definately telling you something isn't right.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#3 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 PM

Personally if it were my infant and she was in pain following an adjustment that went wrong I would go immediately to make sure she had not been injured... Like to the er. She's telling you something isn't right. Injuries do happen at even the most experienced chiro. Hope she feels better soon mama.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#4 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 PM

I'm kind of surprised he used a drop on her. I would think 8 months is kinda young... but I don't know all

If you are comfortable waiting, I'd go back to the chiro and maybe ask for xrays or an opinion without an adjustment and possibly ask for him to not use the drop again. If you aren't comfortable with that then I would see a doctor and if you aren't comfortable with the chiro find a new one. We had one that specialized in children and infants. My kids were adjusted a lot as babes and I don't remember that happening.

Hopefully she is okay!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#5 of 11 Old 03-23-2010, 12:13 AM

i would call your chiro first thing in the morning. hope your little one is feeling better soon.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#6 of 11 Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 PM

YES. I have gone to chiropractic for several years. Sometimes an adjustment just isn't right even though chiro thinks it is. I can tell him it still isn't right, but sounds as if your babe has vocalized it with crying and behavior. I also might look for a new chiro.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#7 of 11 Old 03-23-2010, 12:51 PM

I once had an adjustment that fairly quickly gave me a bad headache. I had it for a full three days until I went back and got it readjusted and it immediately went away.

I would have the chiro check it out.

My boys never had the drop when they were that little.
Just the little gun puncher (have no idea what it is called).

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#8 of 11 Old 03-23-2010, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

i called this morning and they saw her immediately. there's 2 chiros at the practice, so we saw the other one. dd's neck was extremely tender and required another adjustment which the chiro did very gently with her hands. she's been much better since

they used the drop (it's a little tiny pediatric one the chiro hangs around their neck) at her first adjustment and it seemed very gentle and effective, and didn't phase dd at all. but the chiro we saw today said they wouldn't use it on her anymore.
#9 of 11 Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 PM

so glad an adjustment helped her.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#10 of 11 Old 03-23-2010, 07:27 PM

I also wouldn't use a drop of any kind on a baby. They should be so easy to adjust that very gentle techniques are plenty.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#11 of 11 Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 PM

glad to hear all is well!

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page