Mothering Forum banner

Talk Me Out Of Taking This Z-Pack, Natural Healing Mamas!

11K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  neptunemama 
#1 ·
This started as a head cold 7 days ago -- lots of sinus pressure. I had a fever (102) for a couple days. Now it has settled into my chest and I can't stop coughing. It's mostly a dry cough -- it's bad. My back and abs hurt from all the coughing.

My doctor prescribed a Z-pack for me. I'm sad to take it because I've held out this long without antibiotics. I'm also breastfeeding my 15 M.O. This sickness has REALLY thrown off my exercise routine and life.

What is the healthiest thing for me to do at this point?

#2 ·
Can you take lots of garlic and something homeopathic (byronia alba, I think) for the cough?

#3 ·
No way I'd do an ABX at this stage...it's only been 7 days. In my experience, illnesses like what you describe can legitimately last for 10 plus days.

I hear that it's causing you distress, but I would try natural things first and do the abx only as a last resort. I would be taking doses of SA to bowel tolerance, probiotics, Vit D, Zinc, and garlic and I would be doing homeopathcis for cough relief.
This may help you choose the right remedy http://truestarhealth.com/Notes/2216005.html
maybe try one of these home remedies first http://www.ayurvediccure.com/homeremedies_cough.htm

There is no evidence that you have a bacterial infection. If it's viral (which it most likely is) abx will not help anyway.

Hope you feel better soon

#5 ·
Garlic works wonders...try raw garlic in homemade marinara or yogurt. It cured my mastitis 3 times!!!! Echinacea really helps too but I guess that works better at the first signs of illness. At this point I would go with raw garlic, Vit C(high doses), Bone broths,

#6 ·
I use garlic for a lot of things. However, for the symptoms you describe, I would take the Z-pack. That sounds like it could turn into pneumonia, and I wouldn't want to mess around with that.

I have taken Zithromax while breastfeeding. I don't know what Hale's says, but my doctor was comfortable with it.

#7 ·
I would boil some water and preferably add some eucalyptus oil to it if you have it, turn it off, drape a towel over yourself and the pot, and breathe in the steam. Do this every few hours. Might feel good on your sore lungs. Use a humidifier(make sure it is clean). Try an onion poultice(you can find recipes online), this has worked great for my dd. And try to rest!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stik View Post
I use garlic for a lot of things. However, for the symptoms you describe, I would take the Z-pack. That sounds like it could turn into pneumonia, and I wouldn't want to mess around with that.

I have taken Zithromax while breastfeeding. I don't know what Hale's says, but my doctor was comfortable with it.
This.

I just went through exactly what you're describing, and it didn't go away. I got worse. I went in, and I had pneumonia. It was miserable and much harder to recover from because I kept waiting, thinking it would run it's course.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stik View Post

Yes but it sounds viral...

#10 ·
Based on the symptoms it could be bacterial or viral. One thing you could do is call your doc and ask if bacterial pneumonia (vs. viral) is being seen in your area. Last summer my dd had similar symptoms and I thought it was just a cold also. After a week I took her to the doc and she had pneumonia. Her doc said a lot of cases of confirmed bacterial pneumonia were being seen during that time. Our ped is very cautious about prescribing abx, and my dd, who was almost 10 at the time, had never had any in her life. Knowing bacterial pneumonia was circulating in our area, I gave the abx to my dd, who was listless and hadn't been eating. She perked up w/in 8 hrs of her first dose of abx.

It sounds like you're miserable, and that's not good for you or your babe. Abx are not evil when taking correctly. They save lives. Overuse of them, and people not completing their doses are the main concerns. Since you're not in the first category, and as long as you complete your regimen, you should be fine if you end up taking them. Call your doc and go from there. I hope you feel better soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.