Toxic Air and what you breathe... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-27-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By request, we thought we'd discuss the different air purifier options to decrease allergies, asthma, etc. Anyone done a bunch of research on the cost/benefit of different air cleaners for molds, pollens, pet danders, dust mites, cigarette smoke, etc?

What other ways to remove toxins from our air, like avoiding those fragrance plug-ins and aerosol deodorizers and bug sprays and yard chemicals? Air system duct cleaning? Mold spore testing? Vapor barriers for the house? What about the mildew issues in the bathroom?

This is the HEPA air filter system we have in each bedroom and the family area. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

We also use those dust mite covers on the pillows and mattresses. Keep the door shut to the bedroom, and pets and stuffed animals out of the sleeping area. Windows closed to bedroom to decrease pollens and other allergens.

Pat

I have a blog.
#2 of 10 Old 03-27-2010, 02:23 PM

I would love to hear personal experience with whole house air filters. I know nothing about them, but am curious if they would be a good fit for us (and cost effective!)

eta: I wanted to mention that toxins and allergens are 2 things that might not need to be dealt with in the same way... but I can't get my thoughts together coherently this morning. For example, if you're trying to deal with chemical toxins in your home (formaldehyde, other chemicals used in furniture glue, carpet, etc.) there are certain house plants that you might choose that effectively filter those particular chemicals. But if you're avoiding allergens, plants aren't necessarily the best choice for you. kwim? And although I am really allergic to dust mites, I don't use any barriers on my bed or hepa filters (I have in the past and didn't like them)- I'm more concerned with the un-natural toxins in my house. I figure if I can detox from the manmade stuff, then maybe (hopefully?) my body will recognize the natural invaders (dust mites, pollens) as exactly that- natural, not enemies.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 10 Old 03-27-2010, 03:08 PM

We use some house plants and this filter

http://www.ecoclean-az.com/100/AllerAir%20600.pdf

I also love salt lamps
http://www.ecoclean-az.com/index.php...l=&callid=1300

I would love to get a whole house filter!!!
#4 of 10 Old 03-27-2010, 03:23 PM

Oooh... I will be checking out this thread.

We just bought our first HEPA filter yesterday (a Honeywell 20500 if I remember correctly). It's big enough for our livingroom. If I'm happy with it I'd like to get another one for our bedroom. I wish they weren't so expensive though. This one was close to $300 CAD with tax.

ETA So some houseplants are better than others for filtering out toxins in the air? What do you recommend?

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#5 of 10 Old 03-27-2010, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post
ETA So some houseplants are better than others for filtering out toxins in the air? What do you recommend?
Research has shown that these 10 plants are the most effective all-around in counteracting offgassed chemicals and contributing to balanced internal humidity.
  • Areca palm
  • Reed palm
  • Dwarf date palm
  • Boston fern
  • Janet Craig dracaena
  • English ivy
  • Australian sword fern
  • Peace Lily
  • Rubber plant
  • Weeping fig
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/top...aner-air.html#

Pat

I have a blog.
#6 of 10 Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 PM

No way- I have an areca palm! Who knew.

I know spider plants are another good one. They have a good list in The Complete Organic Pregnancy (good book all around!) that lists which plants are good for which chemicals, but of course my copy is packed away somewhere...

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#7 of 10 Old 04-02-2010, 04:27 PM

What about which air filters are good for a standard central HVAC system? I moving soon into an apartment, and I don't even know if I get to change my own filters, but if I do, what are the best ones to be looking at, that are easily found-say at Lowes or Home Depot? We have allergies and I really don't want to be breathing the previous tenant's toxic air dust!

How about 3M Filtrete Electrostatic Allergen Reduction Filter?

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#8 of 10 Old 04-02-2010, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
These are exactly the filters we use and dh changes them religiously. (I'm not sure, but I think he read about them in Consumer Reports maybe?)

Pat

I have a blog.
#9 of 10 Old 04-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
These are exactly the filters we use and dh changes them religiously. (I'm not sure, but I think he read about them in Consumer Reports maybe?)

Pat
Sweet! that is good since these available locally to me!! yay!!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#10 of 10 Old 06-29-2010, 06:54 PM

http://dogtorj.com/?page_id=335

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page