fever for 5 days, no symptoms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's up with this? My 5 yo has had a fever for 5 days with absolutely no symptoms. When it's over 102 he complains of headache, leg aches and watery eyes, but when it's under 102 he's fine. Fever is usually 101 or so. With motrin it goes down to 99.5 or so. It's gotten up to 103.9 and then he needed both Motrin and Tylenol to get it down and make him comfortable (constant crying and whining, groaning in a normally happy-go-lucky tough kid).

I hate giving all these drugs, and when it's under 101 I'm not giving them. At 102 he gets sooo miserable and frozen juices, etc don't work at all. He won't eat, he just cries and cries.

He had a friend who had this for 24 hours last week, but this is odd... Why would a normally healthy kid have this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-30-2010, 08:34 PM

Strangely enough, you can have a UTI or maybe pneumonia with basically no symptoms. DS was complaining about a side ache, Ithought it was from falling, or just gas, and had a fever for 4 days. I finally took him in, she didn't even hear anything while he breathed deeply, but on the chest x-ray a huge white patch showed up. The doc told me it's rare but you can have pneumonia with no prominent symptoms but a fever
#3 of 4 Old 03-30-2010, 09:26 PM

UTI was going to be my guess too. It's not that uncommon to have a UTI with no other symptoms besides fever. Hope you get it figured out soon!
#4 of 4 Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 AM

Hello, I just read about your child having fever for 5 days with no symptoms. My 8 yo daughter has had fever for 8 days! The dr checked her throat, ears, chest, urine, and blood and was not able to find anything. For the first 5 days, her fever was low grade, below 101, controlled by acetaminophen or ibuprofen, which reduced the fever for about 10 hours. After 5 days, it spiked to 104..4! Even with acetaminophen or ibuprofen, the lowest her temp would be is 100.4. I'm so worried! I was wondering if they ever found out what it was and how did they get better? Thank you,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page