Medical Marijuana and Alternatives for treating depression - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is new to me and I want to ask some who will know more about this than me. I have a friend who struggles with depression and anxiety after years of abuse, neglect and hardship. She is finding that marijuana helps her function better than any anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication has ever done for her. When talking to other people, she finds that her experience of it, and its effects on her is soooo very different than getting high. It truly seems to act more like a medication than recreational enjoyment. Have you heard of this? Have you experienced this too? Have you ever heard of anyone being successful in getting a prescription for medical marijuana to treat anxiety and depression? If yes, how? Can you point me to research that supports it?

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It treats all kinds of stuff and getting a script is pretty easy. Last weekend in the city some guys on the corner were holding a big sign to get an eval from a Dr for medical marijuana and they were scheduling appts with the ph number in a huge font. Its coming up on a ballet again in Sept I heard to legalize it so the state can collect taxes on it. Polls show it should easily pass this time around. What can I say, its California

Seriously?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

More questions: does state insurance (Medicaid) ever pay for medical marijuana? (specific to Washington)

What alternatives are there to marijuana? Other herbs that might have similar effects?

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Maybe this will help...

http://blog.norml.org/

I truly believe that medical mj is the way to go in treating all kinds of things, depression definitely included.

I work for a wholesale distributor than supplies vaporizers to medical mj patients. Some of my customers include compassionate caregivers taking care of cancer patients.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

Old 04-11-2010, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. Mountaingirl, do you know how common it is for people with depression to get scripts for MMJ?

Old 04-11-2010, 03:10 AM

Wonderful topic, I wish more people answered.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:47 PM

Marijuana cannot be prescribed, per say, but in the states that allow medical marijuana you simply obtain a license and can then grow or possess a certain amount. Lots of people will buy through dispensaries, but it isn't something that any insurance can cover, since you never get an actual prescription, jenneology.

Amri- mama to Indica 12.08.06 and Kytan 04.04.10
Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

I found this specific for that state of washington: http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/medical-marijuana/

Depression is not considered a qualifying condition and won't be until research shows that t is beneficial. That answers that, so what about alternatives?

Old 04-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Wow, that's so strange. My time of highest consumption of MJ corresponded precisely with my worst depressions. (It does run in my family... the depression, not the MJ use!)

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Staceychev, it is weird isn't it? It seems that for some people, it has the opposite effect. With my friend, it makes her hyper, which is SO stereotypically contrary to what MJ is supposed to do. She's been so hyper that I've been watching her for manic episodes which haven't happened.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 PM

St.John's Wort and passionflower are both great herbs for treating depression.

fp
Old 04-14-2010, 10:30 PM

I had improvement with Magnesium Citrate supplement and Kava root (as tea, yogi tea makes one).

User Tag List