Swollen, painful thumb- any ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-09-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My thumb has been hurting (especially when touched or moved), for a few days now, and since last night, it has been swollen and VERY sore. The swelling and pain seem to be mostly around the base of my nail, particularly on one side, and the area beneath my nail is very sore also.

I'm going to try to get into the clinic today or tomorrow and get it checked out, but does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? A few ideas I got from browsing online are that it could be an ingrown fingernail (I don't know if those really happen at the base of the nail like this, though), or possibly a bug bite?

I've been soaking it in GSE, in case it's an infection of some kind that I just can't see. Any other suggestions to help with the pain/swelling would be great also.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#2 of 3 Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like it could be an infection. My DD2 had an infection on her big toe a couple years ago, and it went from "ouchy toe" when she woke up to vomiting at 2pm, to ER at 8pm with high fever and needing drainage. Sounds similar. Any fever? They said hers was possibly an ingrown toenail as well, but it went from bad to worse pretty fast.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 3 Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the clinic yesterday and yup, it was infected. The cuticle, specifically, but the whole thumb is/was swollen. I'm on antibiotics now, and the swelling does seem to be going down. It's not three times bigger than the other thumb anymore.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page