Mono for the second time - as an adult? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had mononucleosis twice – the second time as an adult? If so, for how long did you feel sick? What did you take, if anything, to lessen your symptoms?

I didn’t think it was possible. I am 45 and had mono at age 14; my doctor told me last week I have mono. He said it is rare to get it twice but if the immune system is really rundown it is possible. My immune system seems to be non-existent. I’ve been sick for about a year with one thing or another. It started early last May when we all had, what I believe was H1N1 – we didn’t go to the doctor. Since then I have had one illness after another –colds, bronchitis, non-stop coughs, pink eye, recurring sinus infections, etc. The doctor said this round of mono will be less severe than the mono I had as a child. It doesn’t feel less severe…but it could be because I am also fighting a sinus infection and have had horrible headaches.

TIA
#2 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 01:55 PM

so sad no one answered this question. I am on the same boat as you are but like you have no answers
#3 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 PM

This happened to a family friend of ours. Unfortunately I'm not sure how long it lasted the 2nd time around so I can't answer that for you. I had it once when I was a teen and I was miserable. I'm sorry you're going through this... again!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#4 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I had mono twice, as a teen and again in my early twenties, I think I was 21 the second time and if I remember correctly it was slightly worse the second time around.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 PM

This happened to me. I had mono when I was 16 and I got it again last May (2009). I had all of the same symptoms, but worse, as I had when I was a teenager. My mono spot came back positive (after being negative previously). I still don't feel 100%.

Were you tested this time?
#6 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 01:05 AM

I also had it twice. Once as a teen and once in my early twenties. I was tested both times and confirmed an active case of mono. What I recall is that the first case was more the acute throat pain/swelling combined w/ fever and fatigue. The second time was more fatigue-focused and I also had a badly enlarged spleen. I really can't recall how long it took to recover. FWIW I also had west nile twice when they said I could only get it once. Sorry you are feeling awful.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#7 of 8 Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I also had mono twice, although nobody believed me at the time since it's supposed to be impossible. But the doctors tested and came up with two active cases. The first time (7th grade) was horrible, and I was really physically sick. The second time (Junior year of HS) was less severe, but I was extremely fatigued and lost a lot of weight. Seems my symptoms echo what balancedmama experienced.

#8 of 8 Old 08-06-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

OP here...Thanks for the responses. One person I told seemed to not believe me (a strange thing to lie about). I felt awful and run down for quite a while - hopefully I won't get it a third time!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page