natural bug spray - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this is the right forum to post this question in...

Last year the mosquitoes were horrible. I'm thinking this year is going to be the same. I tried everything, but now I can't remember what I used that worked!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for bug spray? Something I can make myself or purchase that really works? I vaguely remember something with EO's, but I can't remember which.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 PM

I've had luck with lemongrass essential oils and we have 3 different kinds of mosquitoes here!

I did 15 or so drops in about a cup of distilled water and put it in a sprayer. If you have the actual lemongrass, I've also had luck making a tea with it and spraying that on.

With both of them I did have to reapply more frequently than with a chemmy spray.

Hope that helps!

(ps.- I've had to stop saying 'mothersuckers' because it sounded so wrong coming from my two yr old)
Old 04-12-2010, 04:21 PM

we use jason bug spray and have been successful

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 04-12-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

hmm, lemon grass. I'll have to try that one. Distilled water? where can you find that?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:39 PM

most grocery stores will have it, cvs, walgreens.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:47 PM
LZP

I second lemongrass. I have a small 3 oz spray bottle (like a mini hair spray bottle) with mostly distilled water, plus about 10 drops of lemongrass and 10 drops of eucalyptus. Both are said to be good deterrents, and it works well for us. shake it well each time before you spray.

Like PP said, you do have to re-apply more often, but it smells good, and even works for DH who is usually the feast for mosquitos each summer! so much better than walking around smelling like a chemical factory.

other EOs that work are Rosemary and Sage I think. Some people keep rosemary plants on porches to deter unwanted flying pests, though I havent tried it so cant vouch for efficacy..

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:30 PM

Here's a good recipe for Herbal Insect Repellent . Works good and smells nice too!

User Tag List