Asthma ? long and rambly - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 04-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
Agreed. My biggest trigger is getting sick. But asthma can change. I used to have a strong allergic component that has receded with time; cats used to send me to the ER within 4-5 hours.

I don't go around exposing myself to cats,but if I do have exposure, I barely react now.

Even so the allergist paradigm of asthma management has never been helpful for me, I prefer pulmonologists.
V
Yeah I agree, I just figured allergist might be a good route first because of the combination of eczema+asthma. There is RAD, bronchialitis (sp?) and bronchial spasms which wouldn't be allergies.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#32 of 34 Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Yeah I agree, I just figured allergist might be a good route first because of the combination of eczema+asthma. There is RAD, bronchialitis (sp?) and bronchial spasms which wouldn't be allergies.
I agree with you too. But allergists just have never done much for me--but I don't have eczema so ymmv.

ETA: I just noticed the double entendre in my pp. Aren't we all glad I don't go around exposing myself to cats?
V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#33 of 34 Old 04-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
I agree with you too. But allergists just have never done much for me--but I don't have eczema so ymmv.

ETA: I just noticed the double entendre in my pp. Aren't we all glad I don't go around exposing myself to cats?
V

Not all those who wander are lost 
#34 of 34 Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM

My ds's first asthma attack was when he was 18 months old. We were truly clueless on what was going on, and by the time I took him to the doctor, we were told to go immediately to the ER. That was the first of 4 overnight visits to the hospital, with the last two requiring oxygen for around 16 hours each time! We were not being given any asthma education at all, so I did a lot of research online and then made a special appointment with our ped to see what we could do to prevent ds from having to go to the ER, let alone overnight stays at the hospital. Watching ds struggle to breathe (and never complain) is heart breaking. Kids do not always complain when things get bad. You need to be able to read their body language. Ds's asthma is not always wheezing, but instead is a horrible cough. We had a babysitter that did not realize ds was having an asthma attack, they just thought he had a bad cold.

Ds's asthma is viral induced. So, the key to keeping the attacks at bay was to immediately start with AM/PM doses of Flovent (an inhaled steroid), at the first sign of a cold or sickness. If we start that right away, we don't need albuterol. If it gets too bad, I am not opposed to getting the liquid steroid, because it usually kicks it quickly...if nothing else is working.

Echoing Ammiga on this - Diet and environmental changes have made the biggest difference for us...especially avoiding hfcs, food colorings, and toxic cleaners.

Where is the OP? I'd love to hear what she decided to do. Please, please, please...find a doctor that you trust and get a good plan in action. Your son is depending on you.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page