Magnesium & supplements - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 04-18-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to poll everyone and see what mag they are taking and what brought you to take it.

also, im wondering if we could get a folder going that contains threads exclusively about supps. best b12, best mag, best multi etc etc. people can reference and not have to post it as an active thread. mods, possible? is there one that im just not seeing?
#2 of 34 Old 04-18-2010, 07:16 PM

If we had a good thread of "best supplement forms" or whatever I'm sure I could likely have it added to the resources thread that is on the sticky at the top. I could see about other sticky threads if there is interest too; I'm not sure what the policy is w/that.

We use magnesium citrate and magensium taurate here. We're taking it because I think most people need it for things like bone health and nervous system. I've not noticed changes with magnesium here, negative or positive.

My opinions of best supplement forms (those I have opinions on anyway):

zinc--optizinc (zinc monomethionine)

iron--ferrous bis-glycinate (ferrochel is patented name)

folate--folapro (L-5-methyl tetrahydrofolate)

B's--something with active folate; we use Glycogenics by Metagenics; I believe Thorne has good ones.

selenium--Methylselenocysteine

coq10--forms by tischon corp.;sold via epic4health

probiotics--florastor (or allergen free s. boulardi by Klaire Labs), culturelle, Klaire labs probiotics

I may be forgetting some...

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 34 Old 04-18-2010, 07:46 PM

#4 of 34 Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 AM

I think people who are new to supplementation have a hard time finding good brands, so I'm going to include some brands that we've used.

magnesium: kids get mag citrate (I buy by price for this)--DD goes to sleep a LOT quicker when she gets supplemental mag, and DS sometimes has stresses that make him sorta wild, physically and mentally--not listening very well, and extra mag, beyond our usual amounts, helps with that

DH gets mag glycinate, it works better than the citrate for him (haven't tried taurinate), we buy Perque Mg plus guard for him

folate instead of folic acid: Thorne supps (multis, Bs and stand-alones) have actual folate, either just 5-mthf or half 5-mthf and half folinic acid

B12: we use a sublingual hydroxycobalamin (Perque B12 guard), I've used Jarrow's methylcobalamin and that worked fine too (the Perque dissolves a lot faster, easier for little kids), I wouldn't choose a cyanocobalamin form of B12

zinc: I've used zinc citrate and picolinate, either would be better than zinc oxide (in general, inorganic forms aren't absorbed as well as organic forms); I've seen reduction in or elimination of mouthing in the kids with the picolinate, haven't tried Rachelle's form of zinc

iron: I've used a ferrous bisglycinate supp, Perque's anemia guard (I think that's the name) that also has some copper and B12--it's specifically meant for anemia
#5 of 34 Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 PM

I am not taking a mag supplement but I do take epsom salt baths 2-3x a week. I am pregnant (28wks) and I think because the baby is starting to grow bones faster right now that I REALLY need the mag/cal. I find if I do not take the baths I get charlie horses/leg cramps all night, then I take an epsom salt bath the next night and I am fine. I do believe the mag is helping but couldn't tell you what dosage it would be. I am debating starting the peter gilliham natural calm.
#6 of 34 Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 PM

I just stated magnesium oil for DD and I. I have noticed a difference in out sleep. We have been sleeping better. 8 squirts has about 100 mg of mag.

I take a B-complex by Thorne and selenium by thorne as well.
I will probably try an oral mag soon as well but I had Natural CAlm and it doesn't agree with me at all.

I'm considering supping with Folapro soon as well.
#7 of 34 Old 04-19-2010, 02:10 PM

I take Mg Glycinate (Vital Nutrients brand). I tried citrate and it didn't do a thing for me. For me, it helps reduce anxiety and decrease muscle spasms. I was actually low on blood test.

I give the same to my DS and DD2, but in less dosage. DS gets it to help him sleep, and to help him poop. DD2 gets it at dinnertime to help her sleep.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#8 of 34 Old 04-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I take Mg Glycinate (Vital Nutrients brand). I tried citrate and it didn't do a thing for me. For me, it helps reduce anxiety and decrease muscle spasms. I was actually low on blood test.

I give the same to my DS and DD2, but in less dosage. DS gets it to help him sleep, and to help him poop. DD2 gets it at dinnertime to help her sleep.
Vital nutrients is the brand I want to give DD and myself. She's almost 2 would it effect the mg If I sprinkle on food? Would it be terrible tasting on food?
#9 of 34 Old 04-19-2010, 04:24 PM

The two ways I give supps to my kids (before they could swallow capsules, which happened at 3.5yo for my son), was to either hide a powder between two layers of applesauce (or something of similar consistency), cinnamon mixed into the applesauce helps hide unpleasant odors if that's an issue, or supps can be mixed into strong-flavored juice. I used black cherry juice for a long time--just a little juice, 2-3 tablespoons max, so that we don't have to struggle over an entire glass. The kids will drink it all from a tablespoon measure, we just do it fast, make it a routine, and it's done. We always buy supps that come in capsules, those are easy to open and dump out the powder.
#10 of 34 Old 04-19-2010, 05:11 PM

I've gone down the road of many different mag. supplements for bone health, gut healing, and thyroid and central nervous system/sleep support.

I finally decided the best that works for us is a combo of Ancient Minerals magnesium oil and also Epsom salts for both mag. and sulfur. Any oral form tried (tmi) just plain effects our poop.

Other "Best of" supplements I'm sure of as of now...

Jarrow SeleNext methylselenocysteine

Jarrow GTF Chromium

Jarrow sublingual Methyl B12 - 1000mcg for kids, 5000mcg for adults

MegaFood balanced Bs and/or frozen raw grassfed liver chunks swallowed like a pill

Radiant Life or Blue Ice High Vitamin Cod Liver Oil for A and D and omega 3s. Any other fish oil supplement has it's drawbacks b/c it's not supplying the full natural version of the vitamins for the body to process and keep stable the omega 3s.

I take extra vitamin D3 as long as it's from irradiated lanolin source or fish oil. Chemical D2 or dry D3 is not effective at best and toxic at worst. I give DS Vital Choice's version.

Pharmax probiotics

Enzymedica or Houston's digestive and metabolic enzymes

NOW Acerola or Himalayan amla for everyday vitamin C and very important bioflavonoids.

Nutribiotics sodium ascorbate vitamin C for high dosing in times of illness or toxicity.

I have issues with zinc. And chemical forms of vitamins have not worked well for me, esp. the B vits. I've tried to find food forms as much as possible, b/c as they say, "You need less with food form to be effective," and I've found that to be true.
#11 of 34 Old 04-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
The two ways I give supps to my kids (before they could swallow capsules, which happened at 3.5yo for my son), was to either hide a powder between two layers of applesauce (or something of similar consistency), cinnamon mixed into the applesauce helps hide unpleasant odors if that's an issue, or supps can be mixed into strong-flavored juice. I used black cherry juice for a long time--just a little juice, 2-3 tablespoons max, so that we don't have to struggle over an entire glass. The kids will drink it all from a tablespoon measure, we just do it fast, make it a routine, and it's done. We always buy supps that come in capsules, those are easy to open and dump out the powder.
Thanks Tanya! Will try that
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I've gone down the road of many different mag. supplements for bone health, gut healing, and thyroid and central nervous system/sleep support.

I finally decided the best that works for us is a combo of Ancient Minerals magnesium oil and also Epsom salts for both mag. and sulfur. Any oral form tried (tmi) just plain effects our poop.

Other "Best of" supplements I'm sure of as of now...

Jarrow SeleNext methylselenocysteine

Jarrow GTF Chromium

Jarrow sublingual Methyl B12 - 1000mcg for kids, 5000mcg for adults

MegaFood balanced Bs and/or frozen raw grassfed liver chunks swallowed like a pill

Radiant Life or Blue Ice High Vitamin Cod Liver Oil for A and D and omega 3s. Any other fish oil supplement has it's drawbacks b/c it's not supplying the full natural version of the vitamins for the body to process and keep stable the omega 3s.

I take extra vitamin D3 as long as it's from irradiated lanolin source or fish oil. Chemical D2 or dry D3 is not effective at best and toxic at worst. I give DS Vital Choice's version.

Pharmax probiotics

Enzymedica or Houston's digestive and metabolic enzymes

NOW Acerola or Himalayan amla for everyday vitamin C and very important bioflavonoids.

Nutribiotics sodium ascorbate vitamin C for high dosing in times of illness or toxicity.

I have issues with zinc. And chemical forms of vitamins have not worked well for me, esp. the B vits. I've tried to find food forms as much as possible, b/c as they say, "You need less with food form to be effective," and I've found that to be true.
I'm currently using mag oil too but it itches shortly after spraying it.
Curious why chromium? Do you take the extra B12 along with mega Bs/liver??
#12 of 34 Old 04-21-2010, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

i'm pretty sure i have a crush on this thread. let's hear from more of the MDC scholars! please!
#13 of 34 Old 04-23-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
I'm currently using mag oil too but it itches shortly after spraying it.
Curious why chromium? Do you take the extra B12 along with mega Bs/liver??
Yes, I would recommend diluting it with water at least 50%. Apparently the mag. oil people say if you are really deficient, it iches. I have to say since I've been mag. loading it doesn't itch me anymore, and it used to pretty bad when I started!

Chromium b/c 1) my taste test was low, and 2) I've a history of hypoglycemia, hypothyroid symptoms and insulin resistance.

I usually do 600-800 mcg. but I think the studies comparing it the same positive effects Metaformin (drug of choice for women with PCOS and insulin resistance) was in the 1000 mcg. range.

Oops... and...

Yes I do sublingual B12 in addition to my oral B vits. B12 is a special case. If you are missing the "intrinsic factor" in the gut to absorb it, you can eat as much B12 as you can stand but it won't get absorbed. People with insomnia, fatigue, gut problems, low stomach acid, impaired detoxification and thyroid symptoms (sx I've all had one time or another!) need sublingual B12. I noticed a *huge* help with insomnia when I first started it. B12 is a major player in producing melatonin. I just take one or two of the 5000 mcg. per week for maintenance now or if my system is particularly stressed. Take in AM.

Methyl B12 is far superior for absorption than cyanocobalamin, which produces a tiny amount of cyanide when broken down in body, so large doses of this kind can be slightly toxic.
#14 of 34 Old 04-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Yes, I would recommend diluting it with water at least 50%. Apparently the mag. oil people say if you are really deficient, it iches. I have to say since I've been mag. loading it doesn't itch me anymore, and it used to pretty bad when I started!

Chromium b/c 1) my taste test was low, and 2) I've a history of hypoglycemia, hypothyroid symptoms and insulin resistance.

I usually do 600-800 mcg. but I think the studies comparing it the same positive effects Metaformin (drug of choice for women with PCOS and insulin resistance) was in the 1000 mcg. range.

Oops... and...

Yes I do sublingual B12 in addition to my oral B vits. B12 is a special case. If you are missing the "intrinsic factor" in the gut to absorb it, you can eat as much B12 as you can stand but it won't get absorbed. People with insomnia, fatigue, gut problems, low stomach acid, impaired detoxification and thyroid symptoms (sx I've all had one time or another!) need sublingual B12. I noticed a *huge* help with insomnia when I first started it. B12 is a major player in producing melatonin. I just take one or two of the 5000 mcg. per week for maintenance now or if my system is particularly stressed. Take in AM.

Methyl B12 is far superior for absorption than cyanocobalamin, which produces a tiny amount of cyanide when broken down in body, so large doses of this kind can be slightly toxic.
Thanks Jane! Interesting about mag oil. It itches dd and like crazy!!! If I put on the bottoms of my feet though It doesn't itch at all. I'm wondering If chromium is something I should supp. I used to struggle with hypoglycemia in the past but since eating more fat I rarely get that way. I swear I spend so much on supps!!!!
#15 of 34 Old 04-28-2010, 04:00 PM

Just curious what you all think of this mag supp?

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/supplements/magnesium
#16 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyprincess View Post
I am not taking a mag supplement but I do take epsom salt baths 2-3x a week. I am pregnant (28wks) and I think because the baby is starting to grow bones faster right now that I REALLY need the mag/cal. I find if I do not take the baths I get charlie horses/leg cramps all night, then I take an epsom salt bath the next night and I am fine. I do believe the mag is helping but couldn't tell you what dosage it would be. I am debating starting the peter gilliham natural calm.
I started natural calm a few weeks ago, and it has made a HUGE difference in my ability to sleep, as well as constipation (34wks now). It's really fizzy and sour- but if it bothers you, you could add some sort of sweetener (like juice or whatever floats your boat) and it might taste sort of like a fizzy lemonade. I don't usually measure, but I probably take around 350-500 mg/day, and if I fail to take it two days in a row I can definitely tell.
#17 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 02:31 AM

34 weeks pregnant, so that alters what I'm taking.

I can't stand swallowing pills on a regular basis, so I try to make sure all of my supplements are liquid. There are a few exceptions, but I tend to "forget" to take those.

350-500 mg Mag Calm (I think that's what it's called). It's powdered magnesium citrate. I started to take this because I had muscle cramps after beginning Vitamin D3. Since I knew my D3 was low (even my OB said so), I figured there was something else going on- Mag deficiency.

1-2 pills (don't remember the doses) Carlson's Fish Oil (I know this comes in liquid, but even the flavored ones are less palatable then the pills)

3-4 pills (I think each contains 5 billion cultures) Nutraceutical's 8-5 probiotics- this has made a difference in the amount of lactose I can tolerate

6000 IU Vitamin D3- Carlson's has a great Vitamin D supplement that consists of D3 and dessicated coconut oil. There are 2000 IU in each drop, so I usually take 3 drops. They also carry a kid's version which has 400 IU in each drop. Since it's such a small amount (literally one drop of coconut oil), I will feel comfortable giving this to my babe orally once he's born.

BTW, I buy all of these (except the mag calm) at vitacost.com. It's signifacntly cheaper than at a health food store or vitamin shop.
#18 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Just curious what you all think of this mag supp?

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/supplements/magnesium
not keen on his recommendations, sometimes.

This one has folic acid for starters; he doesn't compare it to magnesium citrate or magnesium glycinate, which are well absorbed also. The price is higher, and must take more capsules each day. The author presents an amazing website, with the appearance of graphics and references. However, for instance, reference #6 is out-of-date and doesn't represent current science regarding folic acid benefits in relation to homocysteine. http://www.jigsawhealth.com/resource...ium-comparison

Nettles infusion is cheaper and easier.

Or Natural Calm or Epsom salt baths.

Pat

I have a blog.
#19 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
not keen on his recommendations, sometimes.

This one has folic acid for starters; he doesn't compare it to magnesium citrate or magnesium glycinate, which are well absorbed also. The price is higher, and must take more capsules each day. The author presents an amazing website, with the appearance of graphics and references. However, for instance, reference #6 is out-of-date and doesn't represent current science regarding folic acid benefits in relation to homocysteine. http://www.jigsawhealth.com/resource...ium-comparison

Nettles infusion is cheaper and easier.

Or Natural Calm or Epsom salt baths.

Pat
I always love to hear what you have to say!!!! I've been doing ancient mineral oil but need to be more consistent about it. I can't handle natural calm makes me nauseas. Here's my issue with epsom salt baths, we are in VA at the moment and there's a ton of chlorine in the water so I'm hesitant to bathe in the water but I'm itching to take a epsom bath I love them!
#20 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 03:52 PM

You can get easy and inexpensive magnesium citrate (tablets or liquid) without buying those expensive ones. There is no need for "slow release", especially as you must take his tablets 4 times a day. not necessary, $$

Pat

I have a blog.
#21 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyprincess View Post
You actually get higher amounts of mag from the epsom salts bath than you can absorb through your digestive tract. And it doesn't have the problem of decreasing stomach acid. I say stay with the baths...

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#22 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I always love to hear what you have to say!!!! I've been doing ancient mineral oil but need to be more consistent about it. I can't handle natural calm makes me nauseas. Here's my issue with epsom salt baths, we are in VA at the moment and there's a ton of chlorine in the water so I'm hesitant to bathe in the water but I'm itching to take a epsom bath I love them!
Can you get one of those chlorine "bath balls" that filters out only chlorine? Not too pricey.

I agree with Pat about Nettle infusion. You'll get so much benefit from that, magnesium and beyond.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#23 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
You can get easy and inexpensive magnesium citrate (tablets or liquid) without buying those expensive ones. There is no need for "slow release", especially as you must take his tablets 4 times a day. not necessary, $$

Pat
Agree
I'm thinking of trying mag glycinate instead.
#24 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
Can you get one of those chlorine "bath balls" that filters out only chlorine? Not too pricey.

I agree with Pat about Nettle infusion. You'll get so much benefit from that, magnesium and beyond.
I know I rally need to get on the ball with my nettles. I have the nettles but no big jars. Do you think those bath balls really work???
#25 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I want to know about the bath balls too!! My mom's house has chlorine and ds likes to take a bath with the "jacuzzi" here. There is so much chlorine, the water looks blue-green!!! !!! in the white tub. Scary!

Do you have info about the de-chlorination? Links? Thanks!

Pat

I have a blog.
#26 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I want to know about the bath balls too!! My mom's house has chlorine and ds likes to take a bath with the "jacuzzi" here. There is so much chlorine, the water looks blue-green!!! !!! in the white tub. Scary!

Do you have info about the de-chlorination? Links? Thanks!

Pat
http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/shower-bath-filter.htm This is the one I had when DD was first born but I didn't notice a difference with the water so I kind of gave up on it That's why I wasn't sure If they really worked.

I'm interested in this one though http://www.waterfiltersforahealthyli...athball/Detail
#27 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 10:05 PM

The ones I have always seen are from Gaiam. I haven't had the need for one, so haven't looked into it much. Here's the link:
http://www.gaiam.com/product/eco-hom...ucet+filter.do
It says it releases water that is 95% chlorine free, and Gaiam usually does their research about stuff, ime previously. If you have questions, they're usually great on the phone and take questions very seriously.

Mom61508, your regular grocery store should have wide-mouth quart canning jars, which are perfect for nettle infusion. I think you have to buy them 12 at a time (at about a dollar each), but then you can use the extras for storing food, etc.

So you're in VA now, eh? Did you find good sources for the milk you were looking for?

#28 of 34 Old 05-01-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
The ones I have always seen are from Gaiam. I haven't had the need for one, so haven't looked into it much. Here's the link:
http://www.gaiam.com/product/eco-hom...ucet+filter.do
It says it releases water that is 95% chlorine free, and Gaiam usually does their research about stuff, ime previously. If you have questions, they're usually great on the phone and take questions very seriously.

Mom61508, your regular grocery store should have wide-mouth quart canning jars, which are perfect for nettle infusion. I think you have to buy them 12 at a time (at about a dollar each), but then you can use the extras for storing food, etc.

So you're in VA now, eh? Did you find good sources for the milk you were looking for?
Oh ya i'm in VA now Man it's been so hard to find milk!!! I finally found someone that will ship it to me...I haven't placed in order yet but the farm looks amazing!! Plan on ordering this week. I'll have to check the grocery I'm rarely in there so I didn't think to check there
#29 of 34 Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 PM

SaoirseC Thats neat to know about the natural calm...I think I will probably get it to make sure dh gets his in everyday...he would never take a bath lol.
mbravebird So happy to hear you get more from baths...gives me a great excuse to keep doing them!!!(and it gets dd hers without having to get her to take something)
#30 of 34 Old 05-02-2010, 11:08 PM

Does anyone know of a sublingual B12 without magnesium stearate? It gives me wicked headaches and makes me really irritable. I have gut issues and plenty of deficiencies so I'm pretty sure I need it.

:::

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page