If you have/had an IUD- Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-19-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have an IUD- how much did it hurt to get it put in? I am really worried about it, for some reason, eventhough it seems like it might be a good choice for me. Please don't say, 'well, it hurts less than childbirth!' (that's what my Dr. said) because birth was HARD and if it compares to that, I don't think it's worth it!
(Little Rant: People have said, "if you've had a baby, this would be nothing" and I hate that! Isn't everything less difficult than childbirth? So what, I can do anything now?)

Also, I am thinking about getting the hormonial IUD (Minerva)- do you know if this stops conception, or just implantation? I haven't been able to find EXACTLY how it works? Thanks,
-Courtney

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 04-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Getting an IUD put in isn't very painful at all. Very slight pinch with some mild cramping afterward. No biggie. What was painful? Having an embedded IUD pulled out of my uterus....and the miscarriage that followed. I loved my Paraguard for 5 years and would never ever get another one. Sorry to be a downer, but you should know that even though they are much safer than they used to be, they still aren't perfect.
#3 of 24 Old 04-19-2010, 03:48 PM

nak
for me it didn't hurt one bit, nor did i get painful periods or anything else. i wasn't crazy about knowing i had something in there though kwim? but for what it's worth i'm seriously considering getting another one put in as soon as ds2 is 6 months old and i start worrying about bf not being reliable enough to prevent another pregnancy...

Mommy to The Boy (August 2006) and Another Boy (November 2009)
#4 of 24 Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM

You have at least one child, correct? My first IUD, I had never given birth and it was horrible.

My second IUD I had placed PP and it was maybe mildly uncomfortable at most.
#5 of 24 Old 04-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had two. Mine were both painful mainly because I have a tilted cervix and it has to be clamped to insert an IUD. The second one was torture because the NP had a student in the room and was going slowly and talking through every step as she did it. Be sure to ask for no students!

Even the second one took no longer than 10 minutes start to finish, so it wasn't that huge of a deal. I'm not planning on using birth control again, but if I were going to, I'd definitely consider the Mirena again. The only real problem I had was that I had random spotting every couple of weeks that would last a day or two. That was mildly annoying. Also, I couldn't use my Diva Cup. Other than that, it was great.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#6 of 24 Old 04-20-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs View Post
Getting an IUD put in isn't very painful at all. Very slight pinch with some mild cramping afterward. No biggie. What was painful? Having an embedded IUD pulled out of my uterus....and the miscarriage that followed. I loved my Paraguard for 5 years and would never ever get another one. Sorry to be a downer, but you should know that even though they are much safer than they used to be, they still aren't perfect.
Not to hyjack the thread but how do you "know" that it was embedded? I ask because my periods have changed and have been a little worried about that.

When I had mine put in it was the tiny pinch and slight cramping, I didn't know it was in until the Dr asked me how it was and I was like your done? lol

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#7 of 24 Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 AM

After weeks of bleeding, an ultrasound showed it embedded in my uterus.
#8 of 24 Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 AM

Mine wasn't really painful, but it was uncomfortable. I think I took some Tylenol beforehand. I really hate the feeling of anything touching my cervix - I know, who doesn't? It just really skeeves me out, so that was the worst part for me. If DH doesn't want to get a "procedure" after this baby is born, I will probably get the Mirena. I had the Paraguard and was not happy about my heavy periods.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#9 of 24 Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 PM

I had the heavy periods for maybe the first yr and now they are light. Glad it got better.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#10 of 24 Old 04-20-2010, 08:27 PM

I had the Mirena after having DD. It was like a period cramp so mild i would have thought "was that a period cramp" if i hadn't been in stirrups. The nurse was holding my hand in case i needed the support (we had a great rapport and she was a sweetheart) but i was still waiting for the procedure to happen when the doctor was peeling her gloves off and freeing the stirrup bases...

Mirena suppresses ovulation in many women but not all, and thins the uterine lining in everyone. I was told it prevented conception about 85% of the time (the manufacturer estimates) and pregnancy the other 15%. It is very very reliable, so even if conception occurs, pregnancy is an incredibly unlikely outcome. If that bothers you, you might want to re-think.

I found the spotting somewhat tiresome with Mirena (some get it some don't) and i had 2 miscarriages after having it removed which i feel were related, but i could have chosen to use another method to prevent for a few months for my hormones to settle and i didn't. I plan to get a paraguard after this LO.
#11 of 24 Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM

As someone who suffered from the side effects of having an IUD puncture their uterus, if you choose to have an IUD please make certain the person who inserts it is very experienced. DO NOT use a family doctor.
#12 of 24 Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 PM

Another one with a bad experience. When I had mine, it caused the pelvic inflammatory disease the commercials warn about. It became so painful that I couldn't bend to put on my underwear. I was a competitive cyclist at the time, FTR, so I don't know how much riding 200 - miles/week on a small bike saddle contributed to that.
#13 of 24 Old 04-21-2010, 10:52 AM

I had the Mirena put in 8 months pp and still have it. There was slight pinching when it was inserted but otherwise it was pain free and there have been no problems since.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#14 of 24 Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 AM

I had the Mirena inserted about 8 weeks postpartum by a CNM. She had to clamp my uterus to get it in. It was so painful I broke into a cold sweat and thought I was going to pass out then I bled heavily for about 3 days. Actually, I bled off and on the entire time I had it (about 6 months). The string was cut too short so when DH and I did try to DTD, it would poke him in his urethra or cut him all up. The CNM told me it was just a small amount of hormone and it would stay only in my pelvic region, so I didn't really have to worry about the hormones affecting me in any other way. Well, I totally turned into a crazy wife and mother. I honestly think if I had kept it in much longer, my DH would have left me. . .I was a horrible, angry, miserable person. I finally asked the Dr here in Japan to remove it. She didn't believe it was affecting my emotions (maybe she thought I was naturally crazy), mentioned that there was no way it was affecting me in this way--but she did go ahead and remove it. She offered to put in the paraguard, but after this experience with the Mirena both DH and I were too scared to go in this direction.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#15 of 24 Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Also, I couldn't use my Diva Cup. Other than that, it was great.
Could you elaborate? Was it because you had the Mirena and your flow was light?

Just curious, because I've been using a Diva Cup with a paraguard in place for 3 years now without issue, but my midwife's answer when I asked if they were compatible was not totally confident.

To the OP: I've had a paraguard for 3 years, as I mentioned above, and I do really like it. For the first year, my periods were heavier and longer and cramping was worse than anything I'd experienced prior. Blech. But since then, they have been steadily shortening and lightening, and the cramping is now minimal. All worth it for me to not have to remember to take a pill every day. And since the paraguard lasts 11 years, the initial adjustment period isn't something I'm likely to need to go through again.

Insertion was no more uncomfortable than a pap smear, but I did need to take Ibuprofen for cramping the rest of the day. I had mine inserted by my midwife, who does tons of them, so maybe her experience helped.
#16 of 24 Old 04-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post

Just curious, because I've been using a Diva Cup with a paraguard in place for 3 years now without issue, but my midwife's answer when I asked if they were compatible was not totally confident.

To the OP: I've had a paraguard for 3 years, as I mentioned above, and I do really like it. For the first year, my periods were heavier and longer and cramping was worse than anything I'd experienced prior. Blech. But since then, they have been steadily shortening and lightening, and the cramping is now minimal. All worth it for me to not have to remember to take a pill every day. And since the paraguard lasts 11 years, the initial adjustment period isn't something I'm likely to need to go through again.

Insertion was no more uncomfortable than a pap smear, but I did need to take Ibuprofen for cramping the rest of the day. I had mine inserted by my midwife, who does tons of them, so maybe her experience helped.
The gynae who fitted mine (i'm in the UK, this gynae works at a family planning clinic and does 9-15 insertions a week) told me there is a risk of the coil being sucked/pulled out if you use a menstrual cup. I do however have friends who used them with paraguards for years without mishap.
#17 of 24 Old 04-21-2010, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post

I actually had two Mirenas. My Diva Cup pulled the first one out, which was EXCRUCIATING for about an hour until I could get to the clinic to have it removed. I don't know if I didn't break the suction all the way or what. On the Diva Cup website, they specifically address this and say not to use it with an IUD because the string can stick to the silicone or the suction can pull it out.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#18 of 24 Old 04-24-2010, 10:19 AM

I got the mirena 6 wks pp, and it's been great. There was a little cramp while she put it in, like a VERY mild period cramp, then it was over. I had some cramping for a while after, but quite mild. I did have bleeding after, but I was still dealing with PP bleeding, so I'm not sure which it was, tbh. The midwife said it's more effective than getting your tubes tied, and there's no user error, which accounts for most of the mistakes with other forms of contraception. How the midwife described it to me, IUDs work by creating an environment that is "not conducive" to fertilization. No one really knows how/why. The mirena, of course, also has hormones to help with this. My midwife has a patient that has had the mirena in for 6 years, so the hormones are all gone, but it's still preventing pregnancy, I guess in the same way a copper one does.

My question: Does it hurt to get taken out? I still haven't had a period since DS was born, so I'm thinking the mirena was a waste of time for me, but perhaps it's preventing my periods from returning?? We're keen to have another LO in the not-too-far future, so I'm thinking of having it removed, and not getting another next time, since DS is 15 mos, and I'm still not ovulating (I guess!).

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#19 of 24 Old 04-25-2010, 04:24 AM

I've given birth once, and have a paraguard. Getting it inserted hurt, kind of like one early labor contraction. My periods have been a little been heavier but not too bad. I still use my diva cup, the NP that put it in said it wouldn't be a problem, I just have to make sure I don't pull on the strings.

Mommy to DS (4)
#20 of 24 Old 04-26-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSmomma View Post

My question: Does it hurt to get taken out? I still haven't had a period since DS was born, so I'm thinking the mirena was a waste of time for me, but perhaps it's preventing my periods from returning?? We're keen to have another LO in the not-too-far future, so I'm thinking of having it removed, and not getting another next time, since DS is 15 mos, and I'm still not ovulating (I guess!).
Mine didn't hurt to have taken out. My GP did it (it's WAY less risky to take out than to put in). He used the speculum to visualise the strongs, grabbed them with little long-necked forceps and asked me to cough, pulling it out as i did. I had a tiny bit of spotting after. He advised me not to run that morning (had it taken out at 10am) because sometimes you can have a drop in BP after something touches the inside of your cervix, but i ran later that afternoon and was fine.
#21 of 24 Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs View Post
Sorry to be a downer, but you should know that even though they are much safer than they used to be, they still aren't perfect.

I had the Mirena and I will never ever do that again. Getting it inserted wasn't that bad. However, it wasn't comfortable. I could feel it and it was painful at times. A couple months after having it inserted I'd had enough (pain plus I couldn't find it the way the dr had showed me to feel for the strings) and went to get it out.... except the dr "couldn't find it". She tried, as well as a few other people from the office. After about 45 minutes of excruciating pain it was decided that nobody knew where it had gone. I went to have an ultrasound, where they did find it (along with the reason why they couldn't find it.... turns out I have a didelphic uterus (double uterus) so where they thought they put it, they really put the mirena somewhere else). So back to the dr I went with this new info. Again, they tried to get it out. They did, eventually, but it hurt so bad. Never ever again. I'll willingly take a pill every night!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#22 of 24 Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 PM

My Mirena did not really hurt getting put in. There was a little pinching, and I had mild cramps for a few days, and light spotting for a long time (a couple of months straight, and I still get random spotting.) The spotting is not really bothersome though - I mostly see it on the toilet paper and it was not enough even to need a panty liner after the first few days.
#23 of 24 Old 04-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Bea

I have a paragard that I had placed around 10 weeks PP. I never felt a thing. I don't mean the discomfort was minor, I mean I didn't feel a thing.

Maybe it was the recent horror of a precipitous labour that's altered my perception of gynaecological discomfort or maybe it was the wonderful relationship I have with my family doc/obgyn but I found the whole thing literally painless.

My periods since, have been heavier but they still last 4 days and the heavier part I can only relate to my previous very light menstruation. I know have a 12 to 24 hour time span where I have to use a super tampon at night and a light pad incase of leakage. That's new to me but I'm not sure if it's due to the IUD or pregnancy.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#24 of 24 Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 AM

I had the Mirena IUD and it was fine having it put in no problem at all. Though after a few months I got horrible horrible ovarian cysts which were literally more painful than childbirth. I had the mirena twice and the same thing happened each time. From what I hear they are very common with mirena users. Also the wires that stuck out I could feel them poke me I had them clipped shorter and DH could feel them too and they poked him.

I have decided against having one put in since.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page