Progesterone Cream for Pre Menopause ? How safe is it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello!

My sister in law, has been having mood swings, hot & sweaty when everyone else is OK. She has not been as nice as she used to be.....
Her menstrual cycle still seems to be ok.

She is scared of taking pills for pre menopause, so someone told her about a progesterone cream.

Has anyone tried a progesterone cream, and how safe is it?
If so, what was the name? Are there any side effects?

When women reach pre or menopause, is it because of low progesterone levels?
She has cancer in her family, so that is why I am concerned for her, since it seems that everything out there triggers cancer

Is there anything, fruits or veggies that we can eat to help prevent these horrible symptoms, I am probably next in line so I would love to prepare, since it seems she is having a hard time with it all....

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The symptoms are usually caused by low progesterone, and the natural progesterone cream helps a ton. I use Emerita Progest cream, and I usually order it on Amazon.

However, there are no clinical studies evaluating the safety of progesterone cream. It is a natural product, made from wild yams, so some people believe that means it can not cause cancer. But there just aren't any studies.

There are some herbs that can help, like Vitex. You have to take it a while before it has an effect. Vitex definitely doesn't cause cancer.
#3 of 6 Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 PM

I am not familiar with the cream but recently started taking an oral progesterone supplement made from yams (Bezwecken Progon B). Prior to supplementing I took a thirty day hormone test (daily saliva samples). Based upon my results I know which days my progesterone tends to dip really low. If I am seeing symptoms at this time I take the supplements. Throughout my period I am also supposed to take the Progon. After three months we will re-evaulate my needs.

As BellinghamCrunchie mentioned, there are no studies I am aware of proving these natural hormone products do not cause cancer. For me, I would rather take this than other prescriptions (I was prescribed Provera for over twenty years because of PCOS; I am scared to death of the long term effects.) I also like the fact that I am only taking the Progon when needed; not every day.
#4 of 6 Old 04-22-2010, 09:50 AM

thanks for posting this. I think i am experiencing an early menopause as well...

I have not been on here in such a long time, but i knew there would be mamas with good info as always!

is there another way to check progesterone levels besides saliva? and could you elaborate on that test?

my annual is in a few weeks and i want to have some info ready..
#5 of 6 Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazminflower View Post
is there another way to check progesterone levels besides saliva? and could you elaborate on that test?.
I'm sure there are other ways but I am not familiar with them.
I had comprehensive blood tests done but the doctor (he's not an MD, he's a chiropractic internist, felt it was best to see the ranges of hormones throughout my cycle. My cycles are a mystery since I didn't start having periods until I was forty - right after having my children.) For the saliva test, you take samples of your saliva throughout the month in the morning. You freeze the samples and when complete send via UPS to the lab. My tests were done through NeuroScience in Wisconsin. They process the order and provide a female cycle mapping of progesterone and estradiol. (In my many years of infertility treatments I was never offered anything like this. Maybe MD's don't feel it is a good test?)
#6 of 6 Old 04-24-2010, 01:08 AM

I've taken the Femina (?? blanking on the name for some reason, but I think that's right) progesterone cream made from wild yam -- buy it at the health food store -- and it is a wonder drug. Here's a good article from Women to Women on natural vs. synthetic progesterone -- natural's better! -- Breast cancer, progestins and natural progesterone —
is there a link?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page