what to do about sinus infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-21-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I NEVER get sick, and so i am having a hard time feeling so bad. It started out as allergies. I took allergy shots as an adolescent and was told i would grow out of them, which i did. had no more allergy troubles until this year, which has been bad. I was having a sore throat in the night, waking up with headaches, but this would get better as the day went on. Today I woke up feeling like i would rather be dead; tons and tons of yellow snot i can't get out of my head and the worst headache i have ever had. and a bad sore throat all day. I have taken about 9 tylenol extra strength today and it hasn't helped at all. I have gotten NOTHING done and just want to be in the bed.
I am nursing, so I don't want to take sinus medicine unless someone tells me something that is for sure safe to take while nursing. Really i am looking for a more natural way to clear this up....fast! I can't really have another day of doing nothing; there are so many things i need to be doing. What will help me feel better???? Someone help please!

Mama to 3 boys 

#2 of 4 Old 04-24-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
I NEVER get sick, and so i am having a hard time feeling so bad. It started out as allergies. I took allergy shots as an adolescent and was told i would grow out of them, which i did. had no more allergy troubles until this year, which has been bad. I was having a sore throat in the night, waking up with headaches, but this would get better as the day went on. Today I woke up feeling like i would rather be dead; tons and tons of yellow snot i can't get out of my head and the worst headache i have ever had. and a bad sore throat all day. I have taken about 9 tylenol extra strength today and it hasn't helped at all. I have gotten NOTHING done and just want to be in the bed.
I am nursing, so I don't want to take sinus medicine unless someone tells me something that is for sure safe to take while nursing. Really i am looking for a more natural way to clear this up....fast! I can't really have another day of doing nothing; there are so many things i need to be doing. What will help me feel better???? Someone help please!
They make a saline spray without medicine that might help you. Vitamin shoppe has saline spray with xylitol, you could have it shipped to your house.

Do some reading about sodium ascorbate, that is what I would take. If you take too much vitamin c (sodium ascorbate), you will get diarrhea. If I'm really sick I work up to 1000mg an hour, but that is a lot. Those emergen C packets are good in a pinch if you can't find sodium ascorbate. You can take steamy showers, eat spicy foods, eat garlic, and rest. There is a wonderful book called Prescription for Nutritional Healing which I would recommend checking out. When I'm sick I usually take stuff like zinc (not too much ...i think you can't take more than 50mg a day?), cod liver oil, probiotics, echinacea, and herbal teas. Here is a link to the book. It is really amazing. http://www.amazon.com/Prescription-N.../dp/1583330771

Also do some searches, I've asked this very question and got some great responses. Some people believe that you have to have an antibotic for a sinus infection. I've definitely cured one on my own with the above methods, but I wouldn't let it go on and on forever. Listen to your instincts regarding going to a doctor or not. If you have a health care provider you can trust, that is great!
#3 of 4 Old 04-24-2010, 09:32 AM

Neti pot and sodium ascorbate. Maybe mix some grapefruit seed extract in the neti pot water. The neti pot you should be able to get at a health food store; the SA you might have to order online. So...instead of the SA, you could swallow several cloves of fresh, crushed/minced garlic a few times a day. If you mix it with some honey, you can swallow it like a pill.

We just helped my son get over a sinus infection doing exactly this; it worked pretty fast.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#4 of 4 Old 04-25-2010, 03:15 AM

Oh ms. shell so sorry I know how you feel sinus pressure and all that has been making it's way around our house too. Neti pot for sure and saline nose spray and like other poster said sodium ascorbate that's always a good idea when your feeling ill. Good luck and I hope you get better soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page