confused about different kinds of doctors | holistic vs medical - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can someone help please explain to me the differences in using a medical doctor as a primary care provider vs a holistic doctor?

I know there are several different kinds of each type. So, obviously the first difference would just be in the kinds of services they provide based on their specialty - that I get.

What I'd like to know is how everything operates as far as well-baby type exams and emergency situations. Do holistic docs usually perform well-baby checks or is this just medical? Are WBCs required? We have Medicaid, if that matters. What about when a child is sick or requires emergency care? Would they still go to the holistic doc if that was the primary care provider? Obviously, if the emergency required medical intervention, we would just go to the ER - but is that an issue if the primary doc is non-medical?

I'm feeling very frustrated with health care. My DS's doc said that we can no longer be seen there if we're not up-to-date on his vaxes. I'm trying to figure out what our next step is. I don't really know who I can ask IRL, because I don't really want to discuss vax-status. (Like, if I call Medicaid & ask them what to do, I'll probably get a lecture or maybe even lose the coverage.) At least here, that is not an issue!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this or if this even makes sense - any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
There are certain allopathic doctors that won't mind you skipping vaccines and not doing well child visits, ours is fine about that. They will make you sign the waiver saying you know going without them is dangerous and so forth, that's required of them. Holistic practitioners vary a WHOLE lot in what they focus on and how they work, but they're generally interested in maintaining good health and avoiding overuse of medications. So many will want to have preventative checkups regularly, and will see your child for specific problems as well. I'd still go to the emergency room for very serious wounds or illnesses, no private practice would take things like that. Earaches and moderate fevers they'll help you with, and more carefully than the average liberally antibiotic distributing MD.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:47 PM

It really depends on the area where you live. Here, I don't think there's even one holistic doctor that accepts medicaid.

Our ND will deal with nearly anything unless it requires a visit to the hospital. She does not require well baby checkups because those are mostly just to keep the kids updated on shots anyway. But she will do a checkup anytime you ask for one. We still have a conventional PCP because our insurance won't cover Naturopathic care. We use our family doc for testing and diagnosis, and we go to the ND for treatment. Her fees are kept low enough that we can do that.

You may need to search out a more open minded conventional doctor, and then supplement his services with those of a holistic doctor.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Very well said myjo. Blumooned that is exactly what we do. We have been fired from my kids pediatrician dr since birth. It is very difficult to find a doctor that will let the parent decide what is best for thier child. We went today to our ND dr. and love him!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been doing home remedies for more than 3 years with no need for a dr. but we had one on stand by. I don't know any practice that's not part of the American Medical Association that will accept medicaid or any type of insurance as far as that goes it would be self paying. Also your first consult is normally more just as if you went to see a new dr. the first visit is always more until you are an established patient, but what I am finding out is our co-pay to the dr is what it would cost me to go see the ND per visit plus what ever supplements etc. that may be needed, but you always normally leave with a script from the dr. 's office so more money there (hence I will buy the supplements) and if I am doing better things for my child by not giving antibotics, vaxcines, etc. I am coming out ahead and so is my kiddo. Good luck to you blumooned I truely wish I would have made the switch to our ND dr. before now, but will be happy to have the medical doctor in a emergency type situation.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for the replies!

I think we'll end up finding another family practice doctor, but get one who is OK with us choosing our vax schedule. We'll use holistic docs for certain things, but prob not as the main doc. Mostly to keep in-line with the Medicaid. Oh well.

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

User Tag List