can tylenol make a baby vomit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-07-2004, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new here, usually post to Family Bed and Diapering. But here's my question: I've been giving my dd, 12 mos., tylenol for a fever for three days now. After reading a bunch of posts here, I know that it's not the best thing to do and I'm going to try and change my mindset about fevers. But for me, only giving her tylenol was a huge step, so please don't flame me on it. We just started going to a chiropractor, and we are trying very hard to let go of our traditional medicine leanings and do the homeopathy thing. But it's tough, after so many years of running to the doctor at the first sign of any problem, to start trusting our instincts and ease up on antibiotics, etc.

So dd started vomiting today; three times in about 45 minutes. She is still bf and eats very little solid foods, although her grandmother gave her cake this morning when I wasn't in the room My question is, could she have a stomach virus or is she vomiting because of all the tylenol I've been giving her? )Which I will now stop and just let her fever run its course) She's sleeping now, thankfully, and I'm working on my anxiety level by reading this board Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Perdita, wife to J, mom to Bridget (6), Ivy (4) Trace (2) and Fiona, my 3rd vbac baby, born 12/2/09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-07-2004, 08:32 PM

Welcome! I am so sorry that your child is ill The only person I would flame is the gramma for feeding her cake. My questions are these: Is the fever wet or dry and how high is it. Allow is to climb and settle and then determine if it is a natural immune response in the child or if it is a dangerous fever. Throwing up could definately be caused by the tylenol...I would stop. Make sure she is very hydrated...lots of booby and lots of purified water. Usually vomiting only lasts for a short time and it is typically accompanied by diaherra so make sure you hydrate hydrate and more hydration.
There is oodles of great information here regarding fevers. Be very aware of your child during a fever, if at any point your mother's intuition rings the alarm bell listen to it. When you lower a fever the child typically is okay and seems well, that means the fever was a natural immune response and you should let it run its course. If you lower a fever and your child worsens then I would seek proper care.
Hope this helps! Don't be afraid to ask any question, there is a starting point for everyone in natural healing and I am just glad you are opening yourself to it!
Colleen
#3 of 6 Old 03-07-2004, 10:46 PM

so sorry your little one is sick

first, I'd say that is could be a stomach thing, and the fever was the precurser, but also that getting the cake out was probably good (since you really don't want to increase sugar consumption when you're sick)

whatever the cause of the fever and whether or not it's a flu you should nurse her a lot. she needs to stay hydrated and flush this out and breastmilk is the best thing for that (don't buy into any pedialyte suggestions).

you don't mention how high her fever is, but as Colleen mentioned you want to pay attention to your whole child with a fever-is she listless, withdrawn or mostly like herself, but with a fever? my dd's typical response to any illness has been a fever-she usually shoots right up to 104 or so which was initially frightening but luckily in the few times she's been ill we hung back and let her body do it's thing.

the one time we tried to give dd tylenol she vomited it immedately, so if your dd's been getting it for 3 days and only now vomiting I'd think the throwing up may be from something else.

let her sleep, but follow your instincts and call your pede if you're worried.
#4 of 6 Old 03-08-2004, 11:28 PM

Yes, Tylenol can make them vomit. It has happened to my ds - sensitive stomach from being sick and not eating much.

But after 3 days of fever, I would take her to the pediatrician.
#5 of 6 Old 03-09-2004, 12:56 PM

Quote:
we are trying very hard to let go of our traditional medicine leanings and do the homeopathy thing. But it's tough, after so many years of running to the doctor at the first sign of any problem, to start trusting our instincts and ease up on antibiotics, etc.
We are doing the same here. It is very hard to resist the lure of the tylenol, isn't it? I would reccomend some belladonna to make her comfy. Let the fever run its course. I know that is hard. Get yourself some rescue remedy and chant "fever is natural....fever is good...fever means she's healing...fever is natural..." Let us know how she is doing.

Yes, tylenol can cause vomiting, but it may be all the flavors and crap they put in it. My niece vomits every time my sister gives her any liquid children's medicine.
#6 of 6 Old 03-09-2004, 08:17 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say baths are also a good fever reducer!
hope your little one gets better soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page