Are some kids more "fever-y" than others? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been wondering about my younger son, who's about to turn 2, and his tendency to get a fever with almost every virus that he catches. This past year has been especially tough since my older son, who's 4.5 yrs, started preschool for the first time and started bringing a lot of different bugs home with him. My older son may get the sniffles or a cough, but it rarely slows him down and he gets over stuff really quick (I guess all the probiotics, vitamin D and healthy diet are paying off!) Meanwhile, my younger son will get a fever for 2, sometimes 3 days with the same virus. He gets over stuff in about the same amount of time, but I just think it's interesting that he's the only one in the family who had a fever while the rest of us did not. Sometimes his fevers can get pretty high, and it's very hard to see him feeling so out of sorts and definitely not himself.

I do remember my older son getting fevers with viruses when he was an older infant/young toddler, BUT he didn't catch as many viruses, due to the fact that he didn't have an older sibling around and wasn't in daycare or preschool.

Anyway, I may be worrying too much, but just wondering if this is normal at this age to get a fever with each virus (even the seemingly mild ones). His ped sort of brushed it off by saying that he just has a strong immune system that kicks into gear easily.

Any thoughts?

Jennifer
#2 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 09:38 PM

Sounds like my ds. Every kid responds differently to viruses. If my dd gets a fever I watch her carefully because it's so unusual for her to get one, but for my ds it is normal for him to get one with every little cold (especially when he was a bit younger). I think your ped may be right!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#3 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My DD gets fevers but it burns off her illness by morning most of the time. She will never be sick for more than 3 days and its because her fever burns it off IMO. The one or two illnesses that she did not get a fever seemed to last forever.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#4 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 PM

I'd guess it's possible, based on my childhood experience as the opposite. I believe in my entire life to this point (32 years), I've had six fevers. My body just doesn't react that way. DH ran a fever one day on our honeymoon and was describing the feeling of relief when you can feel a fever break.... I had NO idea what he was talking about. He ran, and still runs, lots of fevers.
#5 of 6 Old 04-30-2010, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son's one of those kids who got sick an awful lot and didn't run a fever for a long time. Finally, this past fall, he started running fevers when he got sick, and for him I think that was an improvement. I think his immune system was pretty depressed--it's probably still a bit marginal, but I think it's improving.

I don't know if the opposite can be assumed--are lots of high fevers a sign that maybe the immune system is tending to overrespond a bit? Or is it just a variant of normal? My son's lack of fevers really weren't a variant of normal, but it was obvious he was getting sick more than other kids, and other stuff was subtly off too.
#6 of 6 Old 04-30-2010, 02:36 AM

I have a friend who's kid gets a fever everytime he gets sick, and another friend who's kid and husband throw up anytime they're sick, even if it's not a tummy bug.

Mama of three.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page