Intestinal health - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had a testing to see the condition of their intestinal status, like the microvilli, whether they are flattened or not? Is it a testing that can easily be done? How long it takes? Any other tips/advice? Appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 03:53 AM

Not the answer you're really after I don't think, but I chose not to have my DS have a biopsy to check the villi in regards to his celiacs.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#3 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing. I was considering though to get myself checked since DS reacts to my breastmilk and we've been both working on our diet/health, but I thought if I could get an idea of my GI status, that might help give me a better idea of what I need to do.
#4 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 08:47 AM

You could go to a gastro doc and ask for scopes (colonoscopy/endoscopy), but they are invasive and expensive. An elimination diet would be the first step in finding out what your little guy is reacting to. You might also check out Enterolab.com and see if there are any tests there you would be interested in.
#5 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachBaby View Post
Thanks for sharing. I was considering though to get myself checked since DS reacts to my breastmilk and we've been both working on our diet/health, but I thought if I could get an idea of my GI status, that might help give me a better idea of what I need to do.
You could have IgG testing done to help figure out your allergens. We've been talking in the Allergies forum about whether we pass antibodies to foods "we" are allergic to, onto our babes in our breastmilk. I have seen it mentioned that the babe's immune system then is obliged to react to the antibodies. Makes sense to me.

This older thread still holds up I think as far as the steps to take:

Gut Healing Tribe Cheat Sheet
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071

One new direction the Allergies forum has since taken is to uncover nutritional deficiencies as a cause of allergies and intolerances, you might root around there for a while.
#6 of 13 Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 PM

Oops one more thing...

A CDSA stool test will tell you if you have inflammation (and therefore villi damage) and point towards allergies. And reduced short chain fatty acids which will mean beneficial gut flora deficiencies.
#7 of 13 Old 05-01-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your info, I will check them out.

We both have been working on elimination diet and got IgE and IgG testing. Still haven't figured out why we react to foods even though the testing for both types came out all negative for all the the foods tested for both of us.
#8 of 13 Old 05-01-2010, 11:11 AM

It might be gut flora imbalance, yeast or bacterial. Do you have loose stool or constipation? Have you tried high strength probiotics? How old is your DS? How exactly does he react? Have you considered foremilk/hindmilk imbalance?

It might be food chemical intolerances which don't involve the immune system:
salicylates
amines
histamines
oxalates

See 'Salicylates/Amines/Histamine Sensitive Tribe' thread in Allergies forum for more info.
#9 of 13 Old 05-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
It might be gut flora imbalance, yeast or bacterial. Do you have loose stool or constipation? Have you tried high strength probiotics? How old is your DS? How exactly does he react? Have you considered foremilk/hindmilk imbalance?

It might be food chemical intolerances which don't involve the immune system:
salicylates
amines
histamines
oxalates

See 'Salicylates/Amines/Histamine Sensitive Tribe' thread in Allergies forum for more info.
OP- I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a question for JaneS

I'm wondering the same for DD she has loose stools suddenly for 3 weeks which has never been a problem for her. I can't figure out why? It started when I gave her digestive enzymes but I quit those and the loose stool persists .Last summer was the opposite we dealt with constipation so this is odd for us Any thoughts gut master
#10 of 13 Old 05-01-2010, 01:13 PM

Yes, certain enzymes can loosen stools. How long ago did you quit? Which enzymes? A low grade virus can do that too. Eating more fruit or juice? or any different types of food or supplements?
#11 of 13 Old 05-01-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Yes, certain enzymes can loosen stools. How long ago did you quit? Which enzymes? A low grade virus can do that too. Eating more fruit or juice? or any different types of food or supplements?
WE used digest basic by enzyme medica. We stopped the enzymes 2 weeks ago. She had a fever for 24 hours about 4 days after the loose stools started but was totally fine the next day. Her diet hasn't changed at all or supps.
#12 of 13 Old 05-05-2010, 04:23 PM

bumpppppp
#13 of 13 Old 05-06-2010, 11:02 AM

I just had an endoscopy & colonoscopy done & they did biopsies. The worst of it is the prep & the belly ache afterwards from the air that they pump into your system. But it isn't as bad as I anticipated at all. I tried an elimination diet & never could pin-point what caused my symptoms. That & a family history of intestional conditions including colon cancer, gave me the push to just do it. I'll have results from the biopsies in one week.

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page