Does a random tingling sensation mean anything? update #21: Calcium??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I occasionally get tingly feelings in various body parts- most often in my thigh. It seems to happen more often when I'm laying on my side, but sometimes when I'm sitting. It can last 10 minutes or so.
I've never had this happen before, and it's happened a lot in the last couple of weeks. It's sort of wierding me out! lol

The only thing I can think of, is to wonder if it could be nutrition related. I've been on an ED for 3 months, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a big imbalance somewhere (though I do make sure I'm at least close to hitting the rda for everything).

Any other possibilities? Could a nutrition imbalance/deficiency cause tingling sensations?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 PM

I as getting this in my upper back when I was nursing. Strangley, I havent noticed it since, however, I still get it in random places, usually my arms, or the back of my head or neck. I was hoping it was just angels kissing me or something.
#3 of 25 Old 05-04-2010, 04:23 PM

I have been having random tingling sensations in my face and mouth for the past 6 (?) months (as well as some other symptoms). It could be nothing, but it could be something serious. I've had a CT scan of my head, MRI of my brain and lots of bloodwork done and still no answers. My dr sent me for a bunch more tests recently and I'll be getting the results next week.

Have you had any other symptoms?

In terms of nutritional deficiencies, definitely a b12 deficiency can cause tingling. But so can a bunch of other things. I think it is well worth a call to your HCP.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#4 of 25 Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM

It could mean a lot of things from MS to just being over weight and having poor circulation. Are you having any other symptoms?

xoxoxox

#5 of 25 Old 05-04-2010, 07:12 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
B-12 deficiency is the most common thing it could be.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#6 of 25 Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

No other symptoms that I can think of. Oh, I got a rash a few weeks ago that I attributed to a food or chemical sensitivity, but never figured out the cause.

b12 deficiency. hmmm... I've eaten a mostly strict veg diet for a while. I included some meat in the beginning of my ED for ds, but the last couple weeks took it back out. I am consuming dairy though...

My multi has b12, but I've read that b12 needs to be sublingual to help. That would be the easiest thing to try, so I'll look for some of that.

eta- after rereading pianojazzgirl's post, I do recall having some wierd tingling sensations in my lips over the last few months. hmmm...

#7 of 25 Old 05-04-2010, 11:05 PM

No harm in making a call to your HCP. It is really hard to know what is causing it (though b12 deficiency is definitely a contender). Lyme disease, mercury toxicity, virus, MS, thyroid, etc, etc - might as well talk to your HCP to see if they think testing is in order (I think they would).

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#8 of 25 Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I think I'll make an appt, just to be on the safe side. Who knows how long it could take to get referred for testing

#9 of 25 Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 PM

No doubt! It can take forever! At least blood tests should be simple to get done and you can get your B12 level checked. You don't have an MTHFR genetic variant by any chance do you?

#10 of 25 Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post

eta- after rereading pianojazzgirl's post, I do recall having some wierd tingling sensations in my lips over the last few months. hmmm...
Some lipsticks contain lead, and that makes lips tingly!

(My tingly lips went away when I switched lipsticks.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#11 of 25 Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Some lipsticks contain lead, and that makes lips tingly!

(My tingly lips went away when I switched lipsticks.)
Oh freaky!

#12 of 25 Old 05-05-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wierd! Though, I haven't used lipstick in...a really long time.

As for MTHFR genetic variant, not that I know of. Never heard of it until I started visiting the allergy forum.

#13 of 25 Old 05-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
As for MTHFR genetic variant, not that I know of. Never heard of it until I started visiting the allergy forum.
I was just curious. I am homozygous for a variant and that's why I wondered about B12 deficiency in my case (even though I eat lots of b12 containing food). I'll get my results next Mon...

#14 of 25 Old 05-11-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

minor update:
Just went to the doc for my wierd tingling sensations, and she thinks it's mechanical as opposed to neurological, so that's a good thing! She said that MS would have tingling in random locations, and not the same areas every time. My tingling is in the same places, and follows the same path every time (though it has spread since I first posted about it- now it tingles down my left leg).
She thinks it's a nerve related issue in my lower back. Either a disc something or other (crushed disc? something) or that it could be related to a b12 deficiency.
Unfortunately, I read about the b12 relationship and started taking sublingual b12 a couple days ago. That's unfortunate because now I can't get my blood tested for my b12 levels. lol. She said it would take about a month to improve, if b12 is the problem. She also gave me an order for an x-ray (to check the discs), and she said I can go now or wait to see if the b12 helps. I think if it keeps getting worse, I'll opt to do the x-ray sooner rather than later.
Hopefully it's one or the other, and it's resolved quickly. It kinda wierds me out!

#15 of 25 Old 05-30-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

It's been a few weeks. I was taking sublingual b12, and the tingling stopped within days. It's probably just coincidence, because the dr said that it would take 3-4 weeks to improve.
I stopped taking the b12 2 weeks ago because I'm on an ED for ds. The tingling is back.

What would you do in my situation? My options are:
1. keep b12 out for another week then go back to the dr to get an order to get my levels tested (it's all covered by insurance)
2. start taking b12 again, and see if the tingling goes away again
3. go get the x-ray (if I can find the order for it. It's in my house somewhere) This can be done regardless of what I do with b12.

I'm torn. On one hand, I don't want to cause more problems by not taking b12 if that's what it is. Otoh, it would be nice to know for sure what my level is.

#16 of 25 Old 05-30-2010, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing as I have random tingling limbs. But knowing my history it is probably from the lyme.
#17 of 25 Old 05-30-2010, 09:18 PM

I have numbness/tingling in my toes and feet. I have had all kinds of tests with my FP Doc. She has referred me to a Neurologist. I go there on the 14th.

I know one of the tests she tested me for was B12, but mine was normal.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I would be inclined to have your B12 tested.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#18 of 25 Old 05-30-2010, 09:21 PM

This explains the testing of B12.

http://www.labtestsonline.org/unders...12/glance.html

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#19 of 25 Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting! Thanks for sharing

I'm thinking I'll just go another week, and go back to the dr to get an order for the test. I think the lab for the blood test and the x-ray are in the same building. That part will be easy, at least.

Yeah, that sounds like the best thing to do. Just one more week without the supps, and we'll have at least one answer.

#20 of 25 Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 PM

I think your plan of stopping the supps so you can have your level tested and going ahead with the x-ray makes the most sense. Also I forget if this has already been asked/answered but do you see a chiropractor? If not, and if this is a mechanical problem, I think setting up a visit would be a very very good idea.

#21 of 25 Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

It's been a while, but just wanted to share a pattern I've noticed. It seems that when I take calcium supps (which I started days after I started the b12 the first time), the tingling goes away. When I go a few days without taking calcium, the tingling comes back.
I "tested" it recently, and didn't take any supps except for calcium- tingling went away. Now, after a few days of forgetting, it's coming back.

But this has me quite worried- if it is calcium and not some wierd coincidence, that means that my calcium is incredibly low, right? I was eating a mostly vegan diet a couple years ago, and added animal products when ds2 (now 14mos old) started having food sensitivities. So now I'm consuming dairy.

#22 of 25 Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 AM

I've been reading about B12 and Calcium and a load of other stuff to lately and from what I've read, tingling can be a symptom of Calcium deficiency too.

My calcium numbers are ok (in doctor world) so I'm hoping that the B12 will help my tingling.
#23 of 25 Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's read that! I hope b12 is the answer to yours.

I also realized that my calcium supp has vit D in it. I haven't looked into vit D and tingling yet, so I have no clue if it could be related. It just seems strange that I've been eating cheese and milk, and the tingling correlates specifically with the calcium supp. Maybe I just need a lot to get back to normal?

#24 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I had the x-ray and everything looks great, spine-wise. I also had my levels tested for b12, calcium, and some other things (folate and iron, maybe, plus some others), and everything was in the normal range. The Dr. said my calcium was on the low end of normal, but everything else is great.

She didn't test vit. D, because she said that it was very hard to test vit D in a meaninful way. (?)

And still tingling. It's moved though. No longer in my thighs. It's always in my feet (which was happening before), and now my lips. The Dr. said that lips are considered an extremity. But I've not had tingling in my hands.
I notice it when I'm nursing, but I don't think it happens only when I'm nursing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post
No harm in making a call to your HCP. It is really hard to know what is causing it (though b12 deficiency is definitely a contender). Lyme disease, mercury toxicity, virus, MS, thyroid, etc, etc - might as well talk to your HCP to see if they think testing is in order (I think they would).
Just reading back through the thread, and this caught my eye. The Dr. didn't think MS was a possibility, because the tingling always followed the same path. She said that indicated it was mechanical and not neurological. I'm not sure how that pertains to Lyme disease or mercury though.

sigh. I'm going to keep taking calcium and b12, give it a few weeks, and see what happens. Then I suppose I'll go back to the Dr.

#25 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Get a copy of your bloodwork, eh? Double-check that you're at a good place within the reference range for all those things. I mean--I'm not sure that'd cause tingling (being low but w/i the ref range) but since you've got the paperwork, it's nice to use it fully.

I'm confused about the vitamin D comment as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page